Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108645 times) previous topic - next topic

General Discussions

I wanted to comment on something and found no thread that was suitable and thought perhaps we need a thread for general, random discussion... ones that cannot and do not fit under any other heading/thread.

Just wanted to say how much I was enjoying the Zac D and Ross L discussions on the AFL website. Really good value and deeply authentic communications between the two. Insightful.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1
I wanted to comment on something and found no thread that was suitable and thought perhaps we need a thread for general, random discussion... ones that cannot and do not fit under any other heading/thread.

Just wanted to say how much I was enjoying the Zac D and Ross L discussions on the AFL website. Really good value and deeply authentic communications between the two. Insightful.
Havent seen it, will go and check it out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2

He's a good man Ross Lyon, often misjudged I reckon. Is young Zac still with the Blues?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #3
I hope this is worthy of this thread, but I have a question. What do people think is the next "style" of football going to look like? We went from the man on man in a position to things like Terry's Flood, Pagan's Paddock, Clarko's Cluster to now morphing into, in my view, glorified circle work. So whats next? Will it go back full circle? Will they drop 2 and go to 16 on the ground? Or is the Big M Little League style of 36 players chasing the agot here to stay?
Thoughts?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #4
After the recent success trialling 16 on the ground in other comps, I suspect 16 a side in inevitable. It was fine for VFA, it'll be fine for AFL.

My only question is, will that mean on 20 a side on match day, or will they increase the bench to 6? I suspect they'll increase the bench to 6, but two of the six will be substitutes not interchange. If that happens I think you'll find a shift in the selection mix.

I'd much rather see 16 a side, than some of the other more radical things they are unofficially fiddling with at the moment. Like the holding the ball rubbish.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

Baggers you could start a thread on a topic if a suitable one doesn't already exist?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Baggers you could start a thread on a topic if a suitable one doesn't already exist?
But I like the idea of a thread where you can talk about anything and stray off topic without fear of persecution. :D  ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
16 a side BUT in such a fast paced game, it will place an immense strain on CHFs and CHBs alone.  Good thing?  Bad thing?  Got no idea.

Reply #8
But I like the idea of a thread where you can talk about anything and stray off topic without fear of persecution. :D  ;)
Wouldn't the logical conclusion of that be that there would be only one thread on this site? Referencing any particular issue and following the debate would be much more difficult if not impossible ? 🤯
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Wouldn't the logical conclusion of that be that there would be only one thread on this site? Referencing any particular issue and following the debate would be much more difficult if not impossible ? 🤯
Logic will not be tolerated here.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
While I don't mind a "whatever comes into your mind" type of thread as Cookie said the problem will be following a topic.

I was going to use the thread to mention that I think Nick Riewoldt is quickly becoming my favourite footy media guy. It sort of led on from Baggers initial post.
But already we've moved on to a different discussion regarding the future of the game.
Now I reckon both these topics  "Media and Future of the game" are worthy of their own thread and make following that discussion easier.
Not only that, it gives a greater opportunity to get into a topic in depth.

The question is ...What do we use a General Discussion thread for....I've seen them work quite well on other sites?

Reply #11

I reckon that if there isn't a thread already and one became apparent in this thread then it'd probably get a life of its own and subsequently its own thread. I guess this is a kind of experiment, a place for random thoughts or observations or comments that don't have an obvious home elsewhere.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12
While I don't mind a "whatever comes into your mind" type of thread as Cookie said the problem will be following a topic.

I was going to use the thread to mention that I think Nick Riewoldt is quickly becoming my favourite footy media guy. It sort of led on from Baggers initial post.
But already we've moved on to a different discussion regarding the future of the game.
Now I reckon both these topics  "Media and Future of the game" are worthy of their own thread and make following that discussion easier.
Not only that, it gives a greater opportunity to get into a topic in depth.

The question is ...What do we use a General Discussion thread for....I've seen them work quite well on other sites?

Define general discussion please?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #13
Define general discussion please?

"What I did on the Holidays"
Basically just everyday thoughts. Random observations. "Has anyone else noticed....."
Things that wouldn't necessarily command a thread that would go for more than a page or two.

Reply #14
"What I did on the Holidays"
Basically just everyday thoughts. Random observations. "Has anyone else noticed....."
Things that wouldn't necessarily command a thread that would go for more than a page or two.

Roger that
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th