Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108787 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #480
Anything would be an improvement over Steggle.

I don't know, anyone who can rid Parliament of the malign presence of the master of the sh1t-eating grin deserves several terms as the Member for Warringah.  Besides, it's become quite a progressive electorate and Ms Steggall is well qualified to represent her constituency.

I reckon independent MPs like Steggall provide greater diversity and a grass roots connection than products of the party sausage machine, like Berejiklian, can ever achieve, and they're not beholding to the party that gifts them their seat.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #481
Windows 11...anyone upgraded or know anything about it ?, I usually wait till the user jury post the pros and cons in consumer reviews etc before I take the plunge with upgrades.
It is a free upgrade at the minute I believe but if its no great improvement and more big brother add ons from Microsoft then I might pass...

Reply #482
Windows 11...anyone upgraded or know anything about it ?, I usually wait till the user jury post the pros and cons in consumer reviews etc before I take the plunge with upgrades.
It is a free upgrade at the minute I believe but if its no great improvement and more big brother add ons from Microsoft then I might pass...
I wouldn't go just yet, it's very early.

Many will also find that at the moment it won't even install on laptops that are only two years old, requires quite a new hardware with the Trusted Platform Module 2.0 enabled. However, there are rumours they will extend the range of compatible hardware further down the track, they will probably have to because nobody is going to dump a laptop or desktop that is only 2 years old just to get the newest version of Windows.

Another problem, is that some of the pre-existing existing software is not yet 100% compatible, I've been reading a lot of websites discussing the upgrade / rollback cycle where people have upgraded only to find they had to immediately downgrade to get some program they want to use working again.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #483
I wouldn't go just yet, it's very early.

Many will also find that at the moment it won't even install on laptops that are only two years old, requires quite a new hardware with the Trusted Platform Module 2.0 enabled. However, there are rumours they will extend the range of compatible hardware further down the track, they will probably have to because nobody is going to dump a laptop or desktop that is only 2 years old just to get the newest version of Windows.

Another problem, is that some of the pre-existing existing software is not yet 100% compatible, I've been reading a lot of websites discussing the upgrade / rollback cycle where people have upgraded only to find they had to immediately downgrade to get some program they want to use working again.
Thanks LP, think I will take your advice and use the old rule of if its working then don't fix it..

Reply #484
Thanks LP, think I will take your advice and use the old rule of if its working then don't fix it..

Agree with LP ... Been looking at it a fair bit, and like precious little about it.  Wide berth

Reply #485
When Win 10 came out it's performance and level of compatibility was awful, it failed to support a lot of legacy hardware, and degraded the end user experience relative to existing Win 8 or Win 8.1 installations.

At about the 6 month mark after launch most of those issues had been resolved and Win 10 became the better option even on a lot of older hardware.

I can't claim it's going to be the same this time around with Win 11, but the early experiences are very similar, a lot might come down to whether Microsoft want to push new hardware sales in the short term.

If you are an Android phone user, in the long term there are some significant advantages built into Win 11, because it looks like a Win 11 device will have an AppStore that lets you load your favourite Android / Google Play phone Apps on the computer desktop. At the moment this is only going to be Win 11 but it may even come to Win 10 long term.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #486

Likewise, thank you, Spotted One... and ditto, EB1 - if it's rockin' along okay don't stuff with it!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #487
Can back up largely what LP is stating above with one minor difference.

A lot of older hardware (those with a tradition BIOS and inability to run UEFI) are not going to be compatible with windows 11.  The whole reason windows 11 has come into existence is to do with cyber security (or a cynic would state a way to make a lot of money).  The UEFI model runs inconjunction with the TPM security module in order to deliver much greater security to hardware and software, and prevent devices from running what is known as a root kit (long story short, something that bypasses windows before it starts).

Its still early doors, but the whole model is trying to cut off ransomware at the delivery mechanism, rather than reactively fixing encrypted computers.  The problem is real, if your hardware isnt compatible, then windows 11 isnt going to be worth the upgrade unless we have a remarkable difference in how things operate moving forward, but I dont believe that will be the case.

We have installed it on a virtual machine at work for testing its capabilities and thus far from my limited use (only a few minutes of pointing and clicking) if windows and IOS had a baby, you would result in windows 11.

The start bar, is going down the bottom in a very mac way of operating. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #488
Can back up largely what LP is stating above with one minor difference.

A lot of older hardware (those with a tradition BIOS and inability to run UEFI) are not going to be compatible with windows 11.  The whole reason windows 11 has come into existence is to do with cyber security (or a cynic would state a way to make a lot of money).  The UEFI model runs inconjunction with the TPM security module in order to deliver much greater security to hardware and software, and prevent devices from running what is known as a root kit (long story short, something that bypasses windows before it starts).

Its still early doors, but the whole model is trying to cut off ransomware at the delivery mechanism, rather than reactively fixing encrypted computers.  The problem is real, if your hardware isnt compatible, then windows 11 isnt going to be worth the upgrade unless we have a remarkable difference in how things operate moving forward, but I dont believe that will be the case.

We have installed it on a virtual machine at work for testing its capabilities and thus far from my limited use (only a few minutes of pointing and clicking) if windows and IOS had a baby, you would result in windows 11.

The start bar, is going down the bottom in a very mac way of operating. 

I prefer Windows on a Desktop where I can fiddle a bit myself , not a real fan of Macs or anything Mac related so you have added confirmation in my mind that Windows 11 being the omen child of the two operating systems is a pass.

Reply #489
Just harking back to the discussion of the harvesting of oak trees to rebuild Notre Dame cathedral.

In 1807, an attack on Copenhagen by the Royal Navy effectively completed the destruction of the Danish fleet.  The Danes responded by planting 90,000 oak trees to provide the timber to rebuild their navy.  In 2007, the Danish Nature Agency, successor to the royal forester, informed the Defense Ministry that the trees were ready.

Two of the oak trees were felled in 2017 to build a replica Viking ship but the demand for wooden ships of the line isn't what it used to be.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #490
How freaking stupid are smokers?

Flubbo is apparently in the media claiming it wasn't the decades of durries that led to his health problems it was his blood sugar.

FFS, what a moron, what utter denial!

If you have smoked for two or three decades, pretty much every health condition you have or are likely to have is made far worse by the durries, end of story!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #491

Flubbo is apparently in the media claiming it wasn't the decades of durries that led to his health problems it was his blood sugar.

He may well be diabetic.  Not to excuse smoking mind you.

Reply #492

FFS, what a moron, what utter denial!

If you have smoked for two or three decades, pretty much every health condition you have or are likely to have is made far worse by the durries, end of story!

Blood sugar is a symptom, not a cause.

Durries, junk food, grog, limited exercise, not enough sleep, getting upset when your footy team is done for drug cheating would all contribute to high blood sugar levels.  However, I understand that Robinson is a Type 1 diabetic and I think that he has acknowledged that his lifestyle and attitude have played a major role in his health problems.

Reply #493
Blood sugar is a symptom, not a cause.

Durries, junk food, grog, limited exercise, not enough sleep, getting upset when your footy team is done for drug cheating would all contribute to high blood sugar levels.  However, I understand that Robinson is a Type 1 diabetic and I think that he has acknowledged that his lifestyle and attitude have played a major role in his health problems.
I am a T1 diabetic. If he is T1 and a smoker what happened was inevitable and stupid. As SAID above blood sugar is a symptom, long term high BS level can damage major organs, short tern low BS can have you wind up in a comma or even die. Its likely the former that was his issue when combined with being a long term smoker that's all kind of trouble.
What happened to my old profile?????