Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108797 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1170
In typical Scomo fashion, being the dedicated servant of the people, he’ll resign after December so he qualifies for maximum benefits.
In typical Poli fashion you mean, they are all tarred with the same brush in that regard. Thats all they are there for.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1171
Reflecting on it I think we're probably being a bit hard on Morrison.

He was constantly telling us that this task and that task was "Not my job!"

So anything he didn't mention as 'not his job' is fair game ;D

Reply #1172
Scomo gave an interview that explains all of the crazy things he said at the presser:
https://youtu.be/vn_PSJsl0LQ

Reply #1173
You genuinely have to worry when a former CIA and NSA director tweets to agree with this sentiment :

Reply #1174
Remember when an American says the world they mean the USA.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1175
While I feel for the victims, and think the behaviour of cosmetic cowboys is horrendous, I don't see why we should all (the general public) be footing the bill for a Royal Commission into what is basically a failed vanity pursuit by people with otherwise high disposable incomes!

btw., Have you ever seen what they put those patients through, the cowboys scrape out fat like a groundsmen coring a golf coarse! :o

To me it's like any other high risk pursuit, skydiving, swimming with Great Whites, rock climbing, you do it voluntarily and have to live with the consequences.

As abhorrent as it may be, it is not something done to the victim involuntarily or without consent.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1176
"The Donald" stripped that much cash out of the NASA science budget to fund his "Space Force", NASA can't even light a cracker these days! :o

If not for the dementia, Putin would be rolling on the floor laughing, instead of asking "Why I laugh?"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1177
LP - Once upon a time Royal Commissions were a huge deal - only done by absolute necessity.  There were a lot more inquiries and less formal investigations, because there was an apolitical public service and possibly better oversight (red-tape!).

Now that a lot of the public service is contracted and senior bureaucrats a politically appointed, the other options aren't as effective.  That and it appears de-regulation and privitisation may not work as well as is often sprouted.

The cosmetic surgery industry does need to be cleaned up judging by the little I've seen - it is too big to go smaller than a royal commission - how to regulate, who would be responsible, minimal training requirements/qualifications etc.

In the meantime, the floods in Pakistan and civil war in Myanmar continue on and people are desperate!

Reply #1178
"A who’s who of billionaires, business identities and socialites are among the heavy hitting crew joining trucking magnate Lindsay Fox for his 85th birthday celebrations.

The 400-odd guest list on the 12-day cruise from New York to Montreal this week is estimated to be costing up to $5m.

Those on board will include billionaires Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, Solomon Lew and John Gandel, along with footy club presidents Andrew Bassat and Luke Sayers, infrastructure leader Rod Eddington, Melbourne Lord Mayor Sally Capp, Linfox board members Bill Kelty and Simon Crean, and presenter Eddie McGuire who will host some of the festivities, according to The Financial Review."

Our Prez mixing with the A listers!

Reply #1179
Wonder if Dan is going?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1180
Wonder if Dan is going?
Be Dan, Kelty and Crean in their own little cabin wouldnt it?....
Twiggy Forrest has just picked up 2.4 billion dollars worth of Dividends from Fortescue...grossed up with 100% Franking thats getting close to 3.4 billion in total, maybe he is buying the drinks.

Reply #1181
Wonder if Dan is going?
Depends which rumour you believe: He is going to work for him then yes, or if you believe the rumours about Dan's fall, most definitely not.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1183
"A who’s who of billionaires, business identities and socialites are among the heavy hitting crew joining trucking magnate Lindsay Fox for his 85th birthday celebrations.

The 400-odd guest list on the 12-day cruise from New York to Montreal this week is estimated to be costing up to $5m.

Those on board will include billionaires Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, Solomon Lew and John Gandel, along with footy club presidents Andrew Bassat and Luke Sayers, infrastructure leader Rod Eddington, Melbourne Lord Mayor Sally Capp, Linfox board members Bill Kelty and Simon Crean, and presenter Eddie McGuire who will host some of the festivities, according to The Financial Review."

Our Prez mixing with the A listers!

Silly time to be doing something like this.  China and Russia may want to make a statement and this would be one way to make an awfully big one!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1184
Rather than derail the discussion in the Williams thread comparing her to Court I'll post this in here.
It's on a similar theme to how off court/field  behaviour reflects on a persons achivement.

I had a discussion with my son-in-law a few weeks back.

I have a vinyl collection of about 400 records.
It's mostly stuff from the 50s and 60s but also features quite a few records from the decades either side of that period.
Amongst the records are some by artists like Michael Jackson, Rolf Harris and Al Jolson (probably the most unracist "racist" you could find ...but his craft bears a stigma)
No doubt each of the above characters have diminished in the public eye since their popular days.

As we were going through the records my SIL asked "Can we separate the behaviour and attitude from the achievements and still acknowledge those achievements?"
I thought for a minute and replied "I think we have to."

I'm not sure (pretty sure) that's an opinion not shared by everyone.