Skip to main content
Topic: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread (Read 44886 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread

Reply #180
I have read recently about an initiative, where nuclear waste, can be combined with man made Diamonds, to create battery storage technology that is almost perpetual.
The opposition to even get to that stage is immense, because if technology like that works renewables are diminished and renewables is a trillion dollar industry full of lobbyists.

Actually, it sounds to me like a variation of the pebble bed reactor, sometimes referred to as a nuclear battery, similar technologies can be built on different scales from about the size of a fridge up to the size of a skyscraper to provided safe energy on demand. Hitachi and Mitsubishi have a version designed to be used in times of crisis and national disasters, they are about the size of a mini bus and can be helicoptered into disaster zones and hooked up to provide power for thousands of properties at a moments notice.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
This conversation will never be a real one, until a nuclear policy isnt automatically an election loser.

No one wants one on their door step, and no one will vote in a government that will go that policy.
In Europe and the USA various regions are fighting for Fusion pilot plants to be built in their cities or suburbs, the promise being free energy to local residents for the life of the Fusion plant which is tipped to be 30 to 50 years. All they have to do is agree to it being built. Of course these are 10 to 20 year builds.

The potential emissions are so low that opposing it is like opposing the local hospital putting in a new PET, CT or MRI!

What will hospitals do when the PET or MRI starts to run out of helium, imagine the cost rise long before that happens?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #182
An update, I've been reading a recent barrage of attacks by "woke" environmentalist groups opposing hydrogen exports from Westernport terminal because the hydrogen to be exported isn't "green" enough, it's made from brown coal conversion process.

But the protestors and reporters never state that these exports are greener than most modern alternatives for bulk hydrogen production, and the hydrogen from coal is really only the initial phase to be supplanted long term by even greener methods that are not yet available at the required scale. FWIW, even the hydrogen from coal people aren't claiming it as the long term solution, it's really just the first step to get the industry up and running, a bit like subsidised wind or solar! ;)

When questioned about this, the protestors then switched tact to focus on environmental damage caused by the ships arriving for export. Ships that would ultimately be powered by some of the hydrogen they carry, emitting water as an exhaust! So what, next they say the ballasts water brings foreign pests.

I think it's a sure fire sign of a disingenuous protest when the focus of the protesters keeps changing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #183
Just wait for albanese to cave in to the insanity of the greens and he most certainly will.

Reply #184
Just wait for albanese to cave in to the insanity of the greens and he most certainly will.
I wonder if anyone has ever stopped and actually pondered life under a Green government. I have and it scares the crap out of me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #185
I wonder if anyone has ever stopped and actually pondered life under a Green government. I have and it scares the crap out of me.

GTC ... good to see you back mate :)

1.3% of the world's emissions and this addle brained idiot and his band of fools would still make normal life impossible.  Watch it ramp up from hereon in.  Abject poverty and destitution on a Pyonyang scale.

Reply #186
We have big issues in general.

In IT terms like blacklist and white list are starting to be moved away from.

Also master and slave devices are going lots of confusion is the likely result. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #187
We have big issues in general.

In IT terms like blacklist and white list are starting to be allowed.

Also master and slave devices are going lots of confusion is the likely result.
Did you mean disallowed?

I read somewhere the other day the bloke(he, them, they, it, thing did I miss one I don't want to be accused of pigeon holing anyone!) that hosts Australian Survivor is no longer allowed to say his catch phrase when the teams enter tribal, "Come on in guys!" is banned, because it's a sexist label!

Do these people know of the existence of the word misandry?

Anyway, isn't the use of the term guys, not unlike the use of the word man in the title of the famous book, "The Descent of Man"? (btw., I hear a lobby group is trying to have that book banned as well. They had tried to get it scuppered on religious grounds and failed, now they are having a crack based on sexism!) :o

Personally I'd like the alphabet banned, I find it is exclusive and divisive because I feel I'm not part of LGBQITAX+!, why can't I have a letter or symbol?

Also I notice whenever one of the major categories gets too many members they crack out a new subdivision/subset, I think that is being deliberately bigoted and discriminating against those not in the category or left behind! They want to be part of the whole, provided they can have a special label, is this separatism?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #188
GTC ... good to see you back mate :)

1.3% of the world's emissions and this addle brained idiot and his band of fools would still make normal life impossible.  Watch it ramp up from hereon in.  Abject poverty and destitution on a Pyonyang scale.
Cheers Cap. I wouldn't let a Green run a milk bar let alone a state or a country.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #189
Did you mean disallowed?

I read somewhere the other day the bloke(he, them, they, it, thing did I miss one I don't want to be accused of pigeon holing anyone!) that hosts Australian Survivor is no longer allowed to say his catch phrase when the teams enter tribal, "Come on in guys!" is banned, because it's a sexist label!

Do these people know of the existence of the word misandry?

Anyway, isn't the use of the term guys, not unlike the use of the word man in the title of the famous book, "The Descent of Man"? (btw., I hear a lobby group is trying to have that book banned as well. They had tried to get it scuppered on religious grounds and failed, now they are having a crack based on sexism!) :o

Personally I'd like the alphabet banned, I find it is exclusive and divisive because I feel I'm not part of LGBQITAX+!, why can't I have a letter or symbol?

Also I notice whenever one of the major categories gets too many members they crack out a new subdivision/subset, I think that is being deliberately bigoted and discriminating against those not in the category or left behind! They want to be part of the whole, provided they can have a special label, is this separatism?
Yeah thats what I meant (I wrote that one in a hurry).

The terms seem to have origins of clear racism, and I generally don't have an issue with changing the terminology from Black and white list, black and white hat, good vs evil, black vs white, etc but I just spent 2 years learning terminology, about things, that are universally used in industry, just for the woke police to pull the rug out from underneath it, because of racist connotations.

Now, where you sit on that is up to you, but here is my problem with it.  If you reversed the meaning (white for bad, black for good) I would have no issue with that terminology existing, because I dont associate that with racism.  Black hat, darkness is always associated with things that are obscured, and shining a light on things has always been associated with making things visible which is where I think white list, black list still applies accordingly. 

The true racists are the ones that looked at it, and started having an issue IMHO. 

Even master and slave devices.  Sure, the terms originate from slavery, but with slavery being abolished, eliminating the terms from use in a situation where they describe how the devices interact, is a bit simple if you ask me, and makes me wonder why bother.

Still, I am enlightened enough to understand that these terms do generate a bit of angst, so will evolve with the times as required. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #190
The woke brigade can stuff every concession they put forward.  Cupcakes.

Reply #191
Cheers Cap. I wouldn't let a Green run a milk bar let alone a state or a country.

Check out what the Greens are doing to local government. THAT is where they are slowly infiltrating. Not interested in Rates, Roads and Rubbish, they just and to push their own agenda (bike lanes that take up 3/4 of a main road........support inappropriate nature strip trees that they are unable to maintain or clean up after etc etc)  Watch your next council election, they are all over them like the plague!!

Reply #192
Watch your next council election, they are all over them like the plague!!
Already had it in our area, hid their agendas in the lead-up by presenting as moderates, then afterwards out came all the radical agendas, Extinction Rebellion, Animal Rights, Woke Vegan Cancel Culture, etc., etc.. I'll be labelled sexist for writing this, but it was mostly female candidates hiding their agendas, they presented as moderate school teachers or small business owners, and then it all changed!

In some areas where I live they have set-back public services and maintenance programs by 10 years, on top of the pandemic effects. For example, they rallied to protect one tree, at what is projected to be the equivalent cost of more than 3km of local road or footpath maintenance.

In another example, they introduced Stasi like waste sorting monitoring and recycling, using a plethora of bins, so many bins in fact a local engineer calculated that the bins have to last more than 7 years before all the recycling is a break even for not having supermarket bags! And that is without the cost of the wages for the people they send around inspecting bins for illegal content, just stupid policy! Then after all that we found out the waste contractor picks up all the bins and dumps the lot at the same remote hole in the ground because the recycling centres are overloaded with the stuff! The equivalent of paying an A-Grade gardener a travel allowance to come to your garden collect and throw dog turds over the fence on your behalf!

Finally, the Coup d'état. Once they have their little agendas settled, they feck off leaving a pile of undealt with shizen in their wake!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193
Check out what the Greens are doing to local government. THAT is where they are slowly infiltrating. Not interested in Rates, Roads and Rubbish, they just and to push their own agenda (bike lanes that take up 3/4 of a main road........support inappropriate nature strip trees that they are unable to maintain or clean up after etc etc)  Watch your next council election, they are all over them like the plague!!
I live in the council that are the biggest bunch of f-wits in the country bar none. You know, the one that signed up to the treaty and banned nuclear weapons. I emailed them and asked them when does the amnesty start and where do I hand mine in. No response to date.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #194
Far Left and far Right - the natural enemies of common sense and intelligence. The lunatic fringes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17