Skip to main content
Topic: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread (Read 43411 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread

Reply #225
Only from 100% flat EB, and from what I hear the majority of battery’s don’t go below 70%.
A bit like your mobi, you charge it every night and don’t turn it off, my 12 month old iPhone rarely gets below 85%.
NT, I believe the NT Govt are banning sales of combustion engine utes from 2030, is that true?

Reply #226
Toyota Australia has formed a partnership with VivoPower to produce battery-electric 70 series LandCruisers for mining company use.  They probably don't need great range but the payload is comparable to combustion-engined vehicles.

Then there's the Ineos Grenadier hydrogen fuel cell vehicle that's currently undergoing testing (and Landrover have been testing fuel cell Defenders for some time).  I think that will be the powerplant of choice for folk who need decent range.
DJ, I'm with LP and think Hydrogen cells are probably more the future commercially  in Aus looking forward.

Reply #227
NT, I believe the NT Govt are banning sales of combustion engine utes from 2030, is that true?

I don’t follow day to day “news” there may be talk/promotion of the idea by someone but I’m not aware of such a concrete proposal by the government.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #228
DJ, I'm with LP and think Hydrogen cells are probably more the future commercially  in Aus looking forward.

An acquaintance of mine, Robert Pepper, is an automotive journalist and he has investigated and reported on the flaws of EVs when it comes to towing and touring.  He is a big EV fan for commuting but can’t see them meeting our towing/touring requirements.  It’s well worth checking out his website and/or FB page.

Robert famously tested the emergency breaking sensors of a top of the range sedan with a blow up doll from a sex shop.  Sadly, she didn’t survive the experiment 🫤

Some government investment in hydrogen fuel technology wouldn’t go astray.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #229
There needs to be some kind of giant shift in the thinking of how to implement these vehicle mandates for the future.
That is, demanding no combustion engines is great, but only works if there is a viable alternative. Currently there isn't one.

I have a ranger as a provided work car.
I am expected to be driving around most of the day. It would be rare, but it's possible to hit say 600km in a day. Even if I don't hit those numbers, I'm carrying a fair load around on what I do drive, which will shorten that distance anyway. Now I am expected to charge that for 10-12 hours of a night and be able to do it all again the next day?

What if I have to take the kids to swimming or footy? I can't get my full charge in because of time? Do I require an additional car for private purposes (I mean, I have my wifes car, but if I was single?)

Reply #230
Then there's the Ineos Grenadier hydrogen fuel cell vehicle that's currently undergoing testing (and Landrover have been testing fuel cell Defenders for some time).  I think that will be the powerplant of choice for folk who need decent range.
I've read about hydrogen retrofits on combustion type engines but at this stage that won't be a long term solution, it's a just bridging a gap, long term it's surely all about fuel cells which convert the energy far more efficiently.

However, some heavy weights have thrown their hat in the ring recently on the hydrogen combustion path, Mercedes included so I while I'm doubtful I would not bet against them. One solution seems to be a blending hydrogen with a small percentage of LPG, not sure why but apparently this makes the engineering solution much easier, it's probably about how the existing engine designs work. I suppose if you combine something like that technology with a genuine carbon offset process, like using captured CO2 to make the materials in the body as I described above, then you can have a net negative even without zero emissions.

Some problems they have at the moment is how long fuel cells last, how expensive are they to make, and the rarity of some materials.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #231
Toyota have just received an award from Greenpeace down under....for being the No 1 anti environmental car maker based on their opposition to climate action and highly polluting hybrids. World wide they have ranked just below by Exon, Mobil and Chevron for their negative lobbying for pollution standards on cars.
Goes against the Toyota marketing spin of being greener than most and having the most trust in Australia, not sure who to believe or what criteria Greenpeace have used and comparisons etc but its not a great look.
Mazda rumored to be boning their 2 litre engine they use on their base model CX5, CX3 and some other model and making customers upgrade to the 2.5 for an extra 5k.....
More frightening is the emergence of MG reaching 7th position in the top ten sales figures, thats ahead now of Subaru and Nissan who should be mighty worried. One new car in every 22 now being sold in Aus is an MG........Mò lǐsī chēkù.....thats Morris Garage in Chinese, be more than a few car companies worried about the rise of the SAIC group and its obvious they will improve heir position given their pricing and ability to offer a lot of choice in models especially EV's. Toyota still comfortably leads the pack but the other car makers would be looking over their shoulder...

Reply #232
Toyota have just received an award from Greenpeace down under....for being the No 1 anti environmental car maker based on their opposition to climate action and highly polluting hybrids. World wide they have ranked just below by Exon, Mobil and Chevron for their negative lobbying for pollution standards on cars.
Goes against the Toyota marketing spin of being greener than most and having the most trust in Australia, not sure who to believe or what criteria Greenpeace have used and comparisons etc but its not a great look.
Mazda rumored to be boning their 2 litre engine they use on their base model CX5, CX3 and some other model and making customers upgrade to the 2.5 for an extra 5k.....
More frightening is the emergence of MG reaching 7th position in the top ten sales figures, thats ahead now of Subaru and Nissan who should be mighty worried. One new car in every 22 now being sold in Aus is an MG........Mò lǐsī chēkù.....thats Morris Garage in Chinese, be more than a few car companies worried about the rise of the SAIC group and its obvious they will improve heir position given their pricing and ability to offer a lot of choice in models especially EV's. Toyota still comfortably leads the pack but the other car makes would be looking over their shoulder...

Toyota are having all sorts of issues that will hurt them long term.
Apparantly they are struggling to get microchips for their GPS/Displays. They will be (if they are not already) selling cars without said systems in place and customers will have to get them retrofitted once they become available. Would you buy a new car if it didn't come with GPS, Reversing cameras, DAB etc.

Some models will be waiting 18months before it comes with all the bells and whistles promised.
Not sure how well their sales will be going with those kind of delays.

Reply #233
@EB

I've owned 2 MGs, of the classic variety, in my life EB. Not sure I'm quite ready to buy a Chinese one yet. I had a brief look at one on display in a shopping mall and it looked ok, but if they are anything like the GW suv I drove a few years back then no thanks.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #234
@EB

I've owned 2 MGs, of the classic variety, in my life EB. Not sure I'm quite ready to buy a Chinese one yet. I had a brief look at one on display in a shopping mall and it looked ok, but if they are anything like the GW suv I drove a few years back then no thanks.
Cookie, they look ok, drive ok and have reasonable specs but it's the service, support and dealership network that I would be suspicious of.
Sales volume affects spare parts inventory, service tech numbers, training etc...Dealers put money into brands that sell and most blocks where you find new car dealerships with different brands usually are owned by the one company so they invest in the brands that sell the most.
MG should improve in all areas with their sales increasing but Id still be holding off buying one until they are more proven with their service backup.
The old MGs were classic cars, would have been a fun drive you had in yours...

Reply #235
@EB

You're right EB. I am now living in Yarra Valley and still driving the old IS300. The nearest Lexus dealer is in Blackburn so I would no doubt be even worse off with an MG. I'm seriously thinking of finding an independent service outfit.
The old cars were indeed fun but as I got older I needed more comfort and mod cons!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #236
Toyota are having all sorts of issues that will hurt them long term.
Apparantly they are struggling to get microchips for their GPS/Displays. They will be (if they are not already) selling cars without said systems in place and customers will have to get them retrofitted once they become available. Would you buy a new car if it didn't come with GPS, Reversing cameras, DAB etc.

Some models will be waiting 18months before it comes with all the bells and whistles promised.
Not sure how well their sales will be going with those kind of delays.
Toyota are the market leader in sales and have plenty of fans which allows them the ability to absorb those issues and still sell vehicles based on loyalty to the brand.
I wouldn't be waiting 18 months and would want my toys all onboard and would look at other brands but the reality is none of them have your interests at heart only your wallet.Lexus would be my preferred option but you are paying a premium.
My pet gripe at the moment are these long warranties which are just a marketing trap to force you into  long term dealer servicing..Mitsubishi being the worst con with this new ten year warranty, which forces you to have the car serviced at the dealer or you only get the normal five years if you go independent servicing.

Reply #237
My pet gripe at the moment are these long warranties which are just a marketing trap to force you into  long term dealer servicing.. Mitsubishi being the worst con with this new ten year warranty, which forces you to have the car serviced at the dealer or you only get the normal five years if you go independent servicing.
We had this happened at work, they worked out that the independents assuming you find a good one, was saving them about 35% each and every service, then COVID hit and a lot of them can't get the parts anymore at reasonable pricing.

I recall some debate back when we looked into Ford vs Mazda for factory twin cabs, and we discovered for the bulk of the vehicle they are about 90% the same. But the price and servicing costs were vastly different, so it was all about market size and how the model they choose to make the money.

Personally, I think Toyota are well ahead of the pack on average, although I've noticed servicing costs starting to rise for them as well. No brand is exempt.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #238
I have Landcruisers and Prados since 2001, wouldn't swap them for all the tea in China.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #239
I have Landcruisers and Prados since 2001, wouldn't swap them for all the tea in China.
Yep tend to agree, especially for private towing, trailers, boats, floats, campers, caravans, in my opinion they are peerless regarding both ride and driver comfort(handling / safety / confidence).
The Force Awakens!