Skip to main content
Topic: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread (Read 44141 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread

Reply #240
We had this happened at work, they worked out that the independents assuming you find a good one, was saving them about 35% each and every service, then COVID hit and a lot of them can't get the parts anymore at reasonable pricing.

I recall some debate back when we looked into Ford vs Mazda for factory twin cabs, and we discovered for the bulk of the vehicle they are about 90% the same. But the price and servicing costs were vastly different, so it was all about market size and how the model they choose to make the money.

Personally, I think Toyota are well ahead of the pack on average, although I've noticed servicing costs starting to rise for them as well. No brand is exempt.
No doubt Toyota are the market leader and by a long way, my only gripe is they wont bargain with you when looking to buy a new car and show you the door if you question their trade in valuations. They are always right and let you know they dont need your business as they have plenty of other customers.
A lot of dealers now dont buy cars off the company , they just re-sell the company vehicles for a set fee so they claim they cant discount the price. The upside they say is you can buy the same car at the same price anywhere in Australia...just BS marketing from Head Office. Honda and Mercedes run that sales model, the latter think they are doing you a favor and an honor by selling you one of their vehicles at a premium. Honda's sales figures have collapsed over the past couple of years and they have been selling some of their land holdings in Aus so I reckon the future is grim for them as they have boned a few dealers with their new sales model and cut back their range of cars.

Reply #241
Toyota are the market leader in sales and have plenty of fans which allows them the ability to absorb those issues and still sell vehicles based on loyalty to the brand.
I wouldn't be waiting 18 months and would want my toys all onboard and would look at other brands but the reality is none of them have your interests at heart only your wallet.Lexus would be my preferred option but you are paying a premium.
My pet gripe at the moment are these long warranties which are just a marketing trap to force you into  long term dealer servicing..Mitsubishi being the worst con with this new ten year warranty, which forces you to have the car serviced at the dealer or you only get the normal five years if you go independent servicing.
I used to have a hilux, youbused to get bent over at service time.....big time.

I bought a new triton, with the 10 year warranty....and it's capped price servicing, which they show you from the get go. So much cheaper than the hilux services, even through the dealer.
Ended up selling that after 1 year as I'd got a ranger as a work car.
I loved my hilux, but the ranger is every bit as good to drive, if not better, plus comes with all the bells and whistles and new technology that the hilux doesn't have...and for a cheaper price.

I reckon a lot of Toyota fan boys will certainly look elsewhere once they realise their shiny new toy comes without all the fun stuff. If they start driving something else, they might never go back.
I was a Toyota fan boy, but I'd buy a ranger right now if given the choice...and that's even if the Toyota came with all its gadgets installed at time of purchase.
Without? It's not even close.

Reply #242
The upside they say is you can buy the same car at the same price anywhere in Australia...just BS marketing from Head Office.
When they were doing it tough a couple of years back, back when they were basically offering 1% finance to passing skateboarders, we got a terrific deal. When it's 1% finance and fixed price servicing there is not much room to move, so we batered the length of terms and got 10 years instead of the usual 5!

Apparently Toyota head office weren't impressed at all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #243
I used to have a hilux, youbused to get bent over at service time.....big time.

I bought a new triton, with the 10 year warranty....and it's capped price servicing, which they show you from the get go. So much cheaper than the hilux services, even through the dealer.
Ended up selling that after 1 year as I'd got a ranger as a work car.
I loved my hilux, but the ranger is every bit as good to drive, if not better, plus comes with all the bells and whistles and new technology that the hilux doesn't have...and for a cheaper price.

I reckon a lot of Toyota fan boys will certainly look elsewhere once they realise their shiny new toy comes without all the fun stuff. If they start driving something else, they might never go back.
I was a Toyota fan boy, but I'd buy a ranger right now if given the choice...and that's even if the Toyota came with all its gadgets installed at time of purchase.
Without? It's not even close.

I would agree on the Hilux, we had them at my old employer and they were reliable workhorses but they dont drive that great in terms of steering or performance and we switched to Tritons based on overall purchase/ownership cost and they were a lot nicer drive and didnt have so much the truck handling of the Toyota.
Never driven a Ranger but Ford sell a lot of them......so many in fact they were the 2021 market leader in 4x4's in Aus ahead of Hilux.
Speaking of toys another gripe of mine is the marketing of safety equipment on many new cars, the base models usually come with basic safety kit and you have to upgrade with a safety package($k) to get the full kit of safety equipment. Sales staff will guilt trip you into it by suggesting its important for your family to have the full kit onboard...my usual reply is are you saying the base model is unsafe?

Reply #244
I would agree on the Hilux, we had them at my old employer and they were reliable workhorses but they dont drive that great in terms of steering or performance and we switched to Tritons based on overall purchase/ownership cost and they were a lot nicer drive and didnt have so much the truck handling of the Toyota.
Never driven a Ranger but Ford sell a lot of them......so many in fact they were the 2021 market leader in 4x4's in Aus ahead of Hilux.
Speaking of toys another gripe of mine is the marketing of safety equipment on many new cars, the base models usually come with basic safety kit and you have to upgrade with a safety package($k) to get the full kit of safety equipment. Sales staff will guilt trip you into it by suggesting its important for your family to have the full kit onboard...my usual reply is are you saying the base model is unsafe?

Nice comeback.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #245
I use the same line when buying electronics and they try and tell me to upgrade the warranty. Are you telling me it won't last x years?

Hilux had the turning circle of the titanic. Triton almost like a small car as the rear axle is so far forward by comparison....that limits what you can carry in the back though.
Ranger is somewhere in the middle - best of both worlds.

Rangers include a lot of the safety stuff in base models. You need to go sr5 or higher to even get close to the equivalent, but I don't think even the top specs have the same features as the ranger. Can't fault them really.

Reply #246
A mate of mine is an engineer at Toyota, one of their big clients is Santos. He reckons you could walk on the their sites and use the c word at them and no one would bat an eyelid. You use the words Ford Ranger and you will be booted off site. They wouldn't have them for free, apparently they reckon then shake themselves to bits in the rough t country.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #247
A mate of mine is an engineer at Toyota, one of their big clients is Santos. He reckons you could walk on the their sites and use the c word at them and no one would bat an eyelid. You use the words Ford Ranger and you will be booted off site. They wouldn't have them for free, apparently they reckon then shake themselves to bits in the rough t country.
Never driven one as I said so I have no idea on their pros or cons but they must be doing something right to be selling so many.
My experience with Hilux wasnt bad, they were reliable but like a lot of Toyotas you wouldnt be buying them for the driving pleasure or performance, maybe thats why they make Lexus.

Reply #248
Never driven one as I said so I have no idea on their pros or cons but they must be doing something right to be selling so many.
My experience with Hilux wasnt bad, they were reliable but like a lot of Toyotas you wouldnt be buying them for the driving pleasure or performance, maybe thats why they make Lexus.

Having driven a few Rangers, my only criticism is the positioning the the A-Pillar, for me its very annoying and a bit of a blind spot. I have mates who have them and they have had expensive injector problems. Another mate of mine is an engineer at Ford and he has worked not the Ranger project for years, he raves about it. He and my Toyota engineer mate have some almighty dust ups on our WhatsApp group. Thats all I can say about them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #249
The first one that brings out a decent hydrogen fuel cell solution with the necessary infrastructure will be the winner.

We are now pretty use to having a servo on every corner, but some of us will remember the days when many big companies had their own bowsers, most farmers still do of course, it might kick off like that for hydrogen fuel cells. Bunded tanks, onsite refuelling, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #250
Having driven a few Rangers, my only criticism is the positioning the the A-Pillar, for me its very annoying and a bit of a blind spot. I have mates who have them and they have had expensive injector problems. Another mate of mine is an engineer at Ford and he has worked not the Ranger project for years, he raves about it. He and my Toyota engineer mate have some almighty dust ups on our WhatsApp group. Thats all I can say about them.

The A pillar is the one that tends to border the windshield isnt it?  If so, this is a gripe in all modern cars for me.  It renders your view at about 2 o clock from the drivers seat obscured in a way that wasnt the case for my xe falcon.  The EF falcon was the beginning of said issue.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #251
The A pillar is the one that tends to border the windshield isnt it?  If so, this is a gripe in all modern cars for me.  It renders your view at about 2 o clock from the drivers seat obscured in a way that wasnt the case for my xe falcon.  The EF falcon was the beginning of said issue.
True, but does stops you getting squashed like a bug in many roll over scenarios, which is often why it's even thicker in heavier vehicles and off-road types.

So there is that to consider.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #252
Its the angle they are on these days.  They tend to run 45 degrees from bonnet to roof obscuring a lot more of your view these days, and the roof to bonnet was a bit higher.

Now they are a bit more sleek for it (and I have to say look much more appealing) but have unfortunately obscured the view. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #253
MrsE had a TS Astra, worst car we have bought and it also had the big chunky Pillar problem which obscured your view but that was the least of its problems.
Had the brakes replaced three times under warranty although Holden fought me the last time because we had Michelin tyres put on the car and removed their rubbish Goodyears,  and then the auto transmission planetary gear set failed just out of warranty and fecked the entire transmission sending metal through it. 3k later and consumer law complaints they still wouldnt come to the party so I had to get it independently repaired which was a full strip down a new gear set, torque converter and pump assy.
The dealer was going to get a transmission sent over from europe which was going to cost me 5k...couldnt wait to sell it once it was fixed and say goodbye to GM cars for good.

Reply #254
Now they are a bit more sleek for it (and I have to say look much more appealing) but have unfortunately obscured the view.
True, they can fix that problem but most people wouldn't want to pay the ultimate price.

It reminds me of those Olympic cyclists that had the bike disintegrate under them. The technology to make such bike parts properly was invented here in Melbourne, but the process that was used for the Olympic bikes was a cheapened down version of it, more like a big home 3D printer instead of the industrial scale gadgets we worked with at the time, systems that are used in medicine to 3D print replacement hips, knees or skulls and the like.

Ultimately the Olympic failure was all about price, there is expensive, then there is bet your life on it expensive. In hindsight there must be incredible regret, what price do you put on burning a once in a lifetime opportunity?
The Force Awakens!