Skip to main content
Topic: PC Laptop price (Read 3499 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: PC Laptop price

Reply #30
Only Office 2007 and 2010 are the only "older" edition that can run under Win 10 Paul ... and 2007 is a lot less resource hungry.  2007 hums along on my HP

Sealed ones (PRO) on ebay (2007) are pretty cheap.  So many MS editions, it's crazy but I assume she'll want one with Outlook

Thanks Mike. Her current version is Office 2016. Yes, she does want Outlook, and would also like Teams, but that may be a bit of a stretch, since it is only available with certain Enterprise level 365 subscriptions, as far as I can tell.

Reply #31
Thanks Mike. Her current version is Office 2016. Yes, she does want Outlook, and would also like Teams, but that may be a bit of a stretch, since it is only available with certain Enterprise level 365 subscriptions, as far as I can tell.
If internet access is always available the online version of MS Teams is free, and the subscription online version of Office 365(Now called MS 365 Business Basic) would be the best choice of the paid versions and includes the online version of MS Teams for about $7/mnth.

The Standard version with desktop programs becomes $17/mnth, it also includes MS Teams.

Otherwise I concur with earlier suggestion, if it's just for personal use then LibreOffice is free. We run both 365 Standard and LibreOffice for our users.

A big plus of the subscriptions is the OneDrive cloud storage allocation included is 1TB which is reasonable value on it's own for the Business Basic package. It is the ability to store, access and securely share files in the cloud that changes the utility of the software and all devices, not just the laptop. If your wife wants to operate as a sole trader I can't emphasise the benefits of this enough. Also nothing stops you keeping local backups on a USB pocket drive without consuming drive space on any smaller devices like phones or tablets.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Then your path appears set as 2016 can be bought with the DVD :)

Reply #33
Sometimes the best way to compare things, is to look at whats out on the market.

I.e.  Have a look around at what the same money will buy you in a new laptop, for a similar specced device.

The 2 year warranty will follow the laptop, so irrespective of them transferring ownership, HP will honour it pretty much anywhere and if their business buys the "onsite" warranty, logging a request with them can be done via the 131147 number and quoting the serial number when you get through.  From there the information is logged against the serial number and any details given is to log the request in someone's name as a contact not as the warranty holder (usually).

I have worked both sides of this fence.  Once as a technician repairing on behalf of HP.  They would give me tickets, and I would replace hardware.  Software support is provided by their service desk, and is pretty ordinary, but you would be able to download the HP software assistant which will handle all software drivers from an operating system perspective.

As a customer of HP at the hospital, we are responsible for all warranty repairs and jobs logged, and for the most part we dont get asked for purchasing information unless the repair is deemed to be outside of the warranty and there is some conjecture.  HP will track this from manufacture, so I think you can sleep soundly knowing that the 2 year warranty is still on the table.

Irrespective, do the sums, work out what your money will buy you and use that as your starting point.  Cant go wrong paul.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
Hi everyone. Just to let you know that we did end up buying the PC laptop. It will be wiped and prepared and ready for pick up in a week or two.

Thanks to all respondents, and especially to those who posted multiple times, with all manner of tips, knowledge, offers etc. Much appreciated.

Reply #35
I'm certain she'll be happy with it Paul.  A hidden strength in this forum is knowledge.  I, for one, wouldn't think of upgrading my car without asking here first ... not after what I've read here from the many expert opinions ....