Skip to main content
Topic: AO 2021 (Read 6117 times) previous topic - next topic

AO 2021

While I'm not a big fan of tennis, as a sports fan I'm very interested to see what happens at the AO given the chaos COVID-19 has introduced to preparations.

As much as there are complaints, we might actually find new interest if some rank outsiders can get a run on.

Is it primed for some resilient kids to sweep away the old pros?
The Force Awakens!

Re: AO 2021

Reply #1
While I'm not a big fan of tennis, as a sports fan I'm very interested to see what happens at the AO given the chaos COVID-19 has introduced to preparations.

As much as there are complaints, we might actually find new interest if some rank outsiders can get a run on.

Is it primed for some resilient kids to sweep away the old pros?
Not so sure about that, I reckon the kids have been busy whinging and carrying on while the old pros and been getting on with it and grinding away not matter what.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Also Djoker and co have been staying in the penthouses.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
I hope it flops big time.  Seems it will.

Reply #4
Also Djoker and co have been staying in the penthouses.
 So it's $3K per night whether you stay in a cupboard or a small elevated suburb!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Lot's of excuses being made by seeds for early exists.

Maybe losing their regular luxuries has made them a bit soft!

I can't say I didn't see this coming, high level professional sport is full of apologists that spend all their days making life easy for the top talent. Take all that away and the playing field suddenly levels.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
$100K for a first round exit - money for old rope!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Exception not rule.

Most tours don't pay this well, and just getting here to this level is not for someone without some investment.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
Exception not rule.

Most tours don't pay this well, and just getting here to this level is not for someone without some investment.
 Regardless, that doesn't change the fact they are complaining about it, do they have to?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Regardless, that doesn't change the fact they are complaining about it, do they have to?

I have heard people say that the AFL and Soccer players get paid handsomely to chase around what is in essence a bladder with animal skin wrapped around it.

You know how it goes, people like to claim that these guys haven't done anything to warrant the payment or a bunch of whingers, blady blady.  The reality is, that these people throw around the insults because they really can't fathom just how competitive that environment truly is, because they see what is considered unproffesional super brats.  Thing is, those brats are supremely talented and actually work quite hard too, they just dont work as hard as the ultra pro competitors.

What we don't see is all the sacrifice off court that happens before they even get the chance to turn pro, and the fact that for each one that makes it, there is likely another 300 that doesn't even get close.

The Australian open is one of 4 of the largest tournaments on the planet, paying some of the most handsome money in the process.  To be a loser in that tournament is to be a winner already.

It takes a lot of commitment, effort, persistence, sacrifices and also a lot of god given talent to go with it.  Not to mention luck, and probably connections too.

The people we see hit the ball around at these premier events, are the elite of the elite.  Yes they complain when things don't go their way and you know, its no different to seeing someone barking at an umpire, or someone like Dangerfield coming out in the media and having a good old chin wag about something that is going to benefit his team.

They all do it, none of them are immune from it, the humble ones are few and far between, and even the most loved sportsman behaves like a twat every so often.  They are only human after all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_ATP_Tour

You can see some of the prize money listed on the schedule of the events part of that link.  Not all of them pay as handsomely as the Australian Open does.

For reference, the Aus open pays a total of $32 846 000.  That is a tonne of prize money.

You start seeing just how few and far between the prize money is in some of the other tournaments.

In Feb, there are 12 tournaments a player can participate in.  Most of the people we watch here in Australia, will compete in at least one or two of these other tournaments, and the total prize pool at the next big thing is likely from Dubai in Feb, where total prize money is $2 950 420.

https://www.perfect-tennis.com/prize-money/dubai/

For 2020 the total prize money for the ATP event is $2,794,840 which is a 2.1% increase compared to last year. Along with 500 ranking points, the winner in Dubai will leave with $565,705, which is a barely noticeable 0.01% rise. The runner up will receive $284,485 a 0.21% rise.

While the main draw round all sees nominal increases, losers in qualifying have seen their pay packets notched up 36.08% and 22.55% respectively. First-round qualifying losers bag themselves $5,450 while final-round qualifying losers receive $9,810.

You might find that's why the whinging in the Aus open is as big a problem as it is. 

For me, I am ambivalent.  We see plenty of poor behaviour from people in the public eye, and we see them in both their best and worst moments.  As someone who simply likes to watch Tennis, I call it noise.  Others disagree, that is their want, that is their choice.

Most people will never understand the life of these professional athletes.  When you live and breathe something the way they do, and ride the wave of success and injury like they do as well as the rankings implications, the sheer dedication to the craft, and the fact that they play a lot of tennis consecutively to earn the sort of money they do, well, I have nothing but admiration for their sacrifices.

i know I wouldnt be able to have the sort of longevity that the champions of that sport do.  Hell, even those lesser known names that have been around forever (like Thomas Brdic, or John Millman, who just keep on going around and around and never quite crack it into the top level of players) get a lot of respect from me.

There are plenty of flash in pan players too.  They come up, play for a bit, get injured, and never quite recover.  Its because the rankings will quickly see you out of the pro tour.

Its truly mind boggling once you start looking into it. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
I understand @Thryleon‍, but in fairness the players that seem to complain aren't necessarily the ones hanging on by a thread, and many of those complaining aren't qualifiers or wildcards, they are seeds that believe they have been mistreated.

Players that have invested heavily just to make it, only to see hopes evaporate in a cloud of COVID-19, they deserve some pity.

Even so it's not the organiser's, venue's or county's fault, it's just a blame game.

I've not got a problem with the prize money, I've got a problem with accepting the cheque then complaining about it. Especially after you volunteer to come here knowing in advance you would enter quarantine.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Exception not rule.

That's right Thry, and I think that the $100K represents an increase to encourage players to attend and put up with quarantine.

As LP said, it's not the players who would be happy to get $100K who are complaining.  Of course, some of the big earners, like Serena Williams, have been very outspoken in favour of the quarantine.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
As LP said, it's not the players who would be happy to get $100K who are complaining.  Of course, some of the big earners, like Serena Williams, have been very outspoken in favour of the quarantine.
Yes, it's clearly the case there are split opinions, but perhaps this comes more from a personal experience perspective of COVID-19, than a position of privilege. Sort of like the published opinions of Bill Gates vs Greg Norman, until Norman got ill and flipped.

I wonder if Williams' ethnicity in respect to the exacerbated impact of COVID-19 on African Americans, has tweaked her awareness!

What I don't understand is the French/Belgian player who was actually infected, coming out after 14 days of quarantine, losing early but picking up a cheque for $100K. In effect she complains about being cared for while infected with COVID-19, at the AO's expense which I assert is ultimately the Australian tax payer, and being paid $100K for the privilege with all expenses paid. :o
The Force Awakens!