Skip to main content
Topic: Acceleration (Read 1535 times) previous topic - next topic

Acceleration

I hope some with athletics training might be able to verify this information for me, I'd like to share it with young players if it's true.

While discussing speed and agility with a sport keen scientist she shared a bit of information with me. It was in relation to acceleration and short sprints and reaction time. Apparently, the key to some people dominating short standing start sprint trials, is that they prepare differently. Most people brace their rear leg to push of aggressively as quickly as possible but have weight over the front leg, but those who are dominant in winning short standing start sprints, even if they do not have top speed, prepare for launch by taking as much weight off their front leg as possible. Apparently this delay in getting off the line is primarily related to the time it takes to lift and transfer weight off your front leg, which can be as much as a 1/10th from zero to motion.

Can anyone with an athletics / sprint background verify this concept, I realise most won't have an extensive standing start background?

For context, she made this comment when discussing the new "Stand" rule, she said those in the know will need to make a guess about the direction change, and as such they should be quite successful at pegging opponents when they guess correctly, but no better than 50/50 if their opponents behave randomly.

FWIW, I couldn't find much searching on the interwebs, I did find the average athlete reaction time to external stimulus is about 250mS +/- 50mS, so maybe that is where the 1/10th hides.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Acceleration

Reply #1
Perhaps Jimbo (aka laj) might be able to help. Maybe send him a PM.

Reply #2
And I forgot about lods. He may also have an answer.

Reply #3
I'd bow to the sport's scientist in terms of information regarding this particular aspect.
Jim's expertise is in walking, with I suspect a bit of knowledge in middle/long distance running where standing starts are used.
He may have an opinion.
My experience is more with crouch and block starting where the drive would come more off the lead block leg.

One thing I will say is that it's probably not a case of 'one size fits all'.
Body structure, height, weight and different rates of power and strength, and most importantly, reaction time are all variables.
I was a decathlete and an average sprinter. I trained a bit with the throwers and was asked by the coach of one  athlete who was very highly ranked in the Shot at State level to run a time trial with him. I think the distance was about 40 metres.
I thought this will be a bit of fun, but at the start he left me for dead.
His acceleration over the first 15 to 20 metres was phenomenal.
It was the power and strength in his legs.
I managed to reel him in before the end but that acceleration was pretty impressive.

Reply #4
It was the power and strength in his legs.
I managed to reel him in before the end but that acceleration was pretty impressive.
Sounds a bit like the Rugby vs AFL training effects.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
This one is all about smarts and reading your opponent, IMHO.

Its not about how fast you move your body its a out anticipation and which direction you're going.

There is no substitute for knowing your limitations and then planning for the scenario.

I was never quick so I planned for the scenario when players were running at me and worked out how to get them onto none preferred side or into trouble.

One more reason to dislike the stand rule is that it penalises smarts in favour of the quicker reaction. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
One more reason to dislike the stand rule is that it penalises smarts in favour of the quicker reaction.
As I see it there are still opportunities for smart players.

For example, nothing says you have to stand face on to the kicker, you could face their preferred side, which would predispose them to run around your back onto the wrong foot if they want to play on, or you could face the corridor and predispose them to play on worsening the angle a little.

I suppose a brown-eye might draw some AFL penalty! :o
The Force Awakens!