Skip to main content
Topic: University Research on Racism in the AFL (Read 4313 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: University Research on Racism in the AFL

Reply #15
Worked part time on a ad hoc basis as a tutor at a Uni for a couple years and Academics are up to no good plenty of the time.
One Academic I knew got a grant to study the breeding of crayfish, he bought himself a boat, scuba gear and a  holiday up Nth and had a few crayfish in a tank purely for looks. Of course the crayfish all died and the research paper was fit for dunny paper only. Not suggesting same will happen here with this survey but academics are very capable of manipulating the system to help themselves ..

And on top of all that, it sounds like he would have had a very nice seafood barbecue as well lol.

Reply #16
If that's the content quality of the "statement" they present ("should" and"suffer"??) in search of a questionnaire response, then god help the future standard of universities, pitifully poor as they are.   Common courtesy completely absent.  But my expectations realised.

Should not have been entertained in the first place.

Reply #17
Yes, but “theacademic” could have avoided angst by providing some background, such as institution, research design, use of results, etc in the original post.

Whoever gave him/her permission to post this on here should have made the first introductory post in the thread explaining what it is all about.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
Whoever gave him/her permission to post this on here should have made the first introductory post in the thread explaining what it is all about.

And it’s in the wrong forum 🙄
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Apologies for any confusion on my part as the detail of the project is explained in the information sheet at the start of the survey. I wrote to the mods who gave me permission so I approached this forum in an ethical way. The research has also been passed by the ethics committee of the host university as stated in the information sheet. I didn't mean to offend anyone, more just ask those interested to share their thoughts on this topic anonymously. Thanks to those who have shared their thoughts.

Reply #20
Apologies for any confusion on my part as the detail of the project is explained in the information sheet at the start of the survey. I wrote to the mods who gave me permission so I approached this forum in an ethical way. The research has also been passed by the ethics committee of the host university as stated in the information sheet. I didn't mean to offend anyone, more just ask those interested to share their thoughts on this topic anonymously. Thanks to those who have shared their thoughts.

All good matey. Best of luck on this very worthy research project.

Reply #22
Just a bit of a communication problem. We rarely get such requests and sometimes  they prove to be a bit dodgy. There's also always a bit of caution with first time posters.

Reply #24
Where's the communication guys. Mods were told nothing about this. How are we expected to perform our roles without being informed?? Sorry, but not impressed.

PS I'm referring to whoever gave the ok for this.
  I gave my OK: I was approached. I then suggested to the academic that he should approach Lord Lucifer, as our Big Banana. To be honest, I don't know who else was approached.
I had no idea that the other moderators were not be approached - I am sorry for not informing you, my colleagues.
I must admit that I am surprised by the reaction. I hadn't expected such a strong response.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
  I gave my OK: I was approached. I then suggested to the academic that he should approach Lord Lucifer, as our Big Banana. To be honest, I don't know who else was approached.
I had no idea that the other moderators were not be approached - I am sorry for not informing you, my colleagues.
I must admit that I am surprised by the reaction. I hadn't expected such a strong response.

Probably shouldn't worry too much about it.
I think it's understandable how it could have happened and as crash said he didn't know who else was informed.
I feel a little responsible.
If the opening post hadn't mentioned 'admin approval' and just posted I wouldn't have given it a second thought....although as usual with a post out of the blue like that, it sometimes pays to be cautious.
Getting an admin/mod to validate that it was agreed to was all that was required.
We were probably undone by the fact 'theacademic' went about things in a proper manner....which is a bit out of the norm.

We had some banana on here the other week trying to flog NFL facemasks.

Reply #26
Survey done. Easy peasy.

Reply #27
Done.

Only witnessed one racist incident in the last 10 years where some Collingwood supporters yelled out "Go home you filthy wogs".

I was also at a couple of games where Hawthorn fans booed Adam Goodes but that wasn't racism.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #28
Also done

Some aspects regarding club policy for members, I'll embarrassingly admit, I wasn't sure about.
They may not exist or not be easy to find on the club website (I've just had a quick look) but I may need look a bit more thoroughly to educate myself.

Reply #29
Thanks guys for completing the survey. I really appreciate it.