[ 6 ] (40%)
Rectangular (Square)
[ 4 ] (26.7%)
Pauper food don't eat them.
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Topic: Round or Rectangular Pies (Read 1528 times) previous topic - next topic

Round or Rectangular Pies

Never let it be said I don't bring the important subjects.

Getting ready to watch the footy from home today I got a hankering for a pie, footy food given it's near impossible to get a decent VFL style hamburger at the AFL.

But while preparing to heat a few party types, round and rectangle, I couldn't help but ponder if people have a preference for the shape.
( Assuming rectangular includes square. )

So lets put it to a vote and see if there is any bias! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Re: Round or Rectangular Pies

Reply #1
When I saw this post I immediately thought it would have been initiated by Baggers  ;)  Whatever the case, I will bow to his judgment on this topic.

Reply #2
If the quality is good I don't really care about shape. I especially love a good beef with black pepper myself, the ones at the G used to be quite nice.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Round..... for even cooking and cutting down on unnecessary extra pastry at the corners.

Reply #4
The shape is inconsequential; it’s the filling and crust that matters  :)

If there is an argument for square/rectangular pies, it is that they are a little easier to manoeuvre into one’s mouth.

However, to echo RiverRat’s comment, we really should be deferring to Baggers on this topic.  He is the subject matter expert  :)

Our local cafe used to make the best seafood pies (along with other delicious fillings).  Sadly, they changed their business models and no longer make pies.  Rolling Pin in Ocean Grove have the best pies on the Bellarine but the Little Mussel Cafe does superb mussel and seafood pies.

A bit further afield, the scallop pies from the general store on Bruny Island are well worth the travel.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
The shape is inconsequential; it’s the filling and crust that matters  :)

If there is an argument for square/rectangular pies, it is that they are a little easier to manoeuvre into one’s mouth.

However, to echo RiverRat’s comment, we really should be deferring to Baggers on this topic.  He is the subject matter expert  :)

Our local cafe used to make the best seafood pies (along with other delicious fillings).  Sadly, they changed their business models and no longer make pies.  Rolling Pin in Ocean Grove have the best pies on the Bellarine but the Little Mussel Cafe does superb mussel and seafood pies.

A bit further afield, the scallop pies from the general store on Bruny Island are well worth the travel.

Aah DJC.

Anything to do with scallops is always worth  doing.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #6
Balfour's were great, square patty's pies RS and disgusting.

Reply #7
When I saw this post I immediately thought it would have been initiated by Baggers  ;)  Whatever the case, I will bow to his judgment on this topic.

:))  :))  :)) You are too kind!

As David (DJC) said, it matters not the shape. It's the filling and pastry. A good pie's shape is quickly destroyed by an eager mouth and stomach... grateful for the taste!

I'd like to write more, but I'm off to Bruny Island ;)  ;)  ;D  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
I have access to delicious home made scallop pies occasionally so don't need to travel to get those. Although Bruny Island is definitely worth another visit so the pies would be a must. 😎
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
I didn't mind the old Patties Pies.  A milk bar down the end of the street sold awesome pies - no idea who made them.   Patties now make 4 n 20 and I find them too salty.  One is enough these days.

Some of the pie shops do weird things (including a layer of cheese on a pepper pie).  Don't mind a good curry pie!

Reply #10
Got me onboard for a rich meat filled curry pie.

Reply #11
Have just returned from our annual Easter trip to Beechworth. Gum Tree Pies have opened up a store there and they are SENSATIONAL. Bought a 6 pack to have for dinner tonight. My personal favourite in the Thai Chicken. Yum. If you ever get a chance to try these do not miss it.