Skip to main content
Topic: Movie & TV thread... (Read 12666 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Movie thread...

Reply #120
Alec Baldwin, as an actor, seems to be a victim rather than a perpetrator. It looks like he was told it was a “cold gun” and was practising a scene that required him to shoot directly at camera. But he was also one of the film’s producers, and that means he may well be partly responsible for any laxity in safety protocols. At least the film location wasn’t in Italy: they really sheet home criminal responsibility to management over there.

But I guess it depends on whether this was a vanity credit. Did he have any more control over filming than any other lead actor? Did it just mean he had put money into the production?

Credits don't necessarily mean what they say. Apparently in the music business songwriters are often asked by famous singers' managers to give co-writing credit and a 50% share of the songwriting royalties to the singers as a condition of them recording the song. Dolly Parton refused such a demand from Elvis to sing one of her songs. While it hurt her then, her decision was richly rewarded. The song was "I'll Always Love You" and she has made so much money from Whitney Houston's version and its use in The Bodyguard that she could buy a small country with the proceeds.

Reply #122
But I guess it depends on whether this was a vanity credit. Did he have any more control over filming than any other lead actor? Did it just mean he had put money into the production?

Credits don't necessarily mean what they say.
Correct, on modern films and production nearly all actors are listed as Producers or Executive Producers, it's a trend which has grown out of DEI requirements studios must meet to receive government funding! (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) It's like naming every employee as a manager with equal rights to decision making, but with that comes liability!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Documentary, rather than movie.  Unfortunately, The Children in the Pictures (on SBS) is on my agenda for the weekend.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/movie/the-children-in-the-pictures/1957876291797

Human trafficking is in the top three international crimes, along with drugs and weapons - I am wondering how far away cyber crime is to these.  It isn't going to be light viewing.

Reply #124
Documentary, rather than movie.  Unfortunately, The Children in the Pictures (on SBS) is on my agenda for the weekend.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/movie/the-children-in-the-pictures/1957876291797

Human trafficking is in the top three international crimes, along with drugs and weapons - I am wondering how far away cyber crime is to these.  It isn't going to be light viewing.

Getting to becoming a scourge @dodge ...

Reply #125
Not getting to be - it absolutely is!  I won't hijack the thread, but it is horrible.

Reply #126
My daughter made a couple of trips to Nepal to provide villages with machines that produce sanitary napkins.  It seems that young girls stop going to school when they get their period and lack of education and social isolation/exclusion makes them prime targets for people traffickers.

As part of the fundraising for the sanitary napkin program, my daughter organised a movie night at which the movie "Sold" was shown - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411956/

It's not a documentary, and has more than it's share of Hollywood actors in cameo roles, but I think that it accurately portrays the trafficking of young Nepalese (and other vulnerable) girls for the sex industry.  I found it pretty confronting but it opened my eyes to something I didn't know existed. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #127
^^

Its not solely minorities in countries.  tourists go missing and sold into slavery in the western world too.  The societal issues that Nepal face, are as much to do with socio economics as anything else, but over in europe, there is a mafia element that hooks youngsters on drugs, in order to lure them into the sex slave trade to pay for them.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #128
Yours truly worked, briefly, with a well known VicPol detective who headed up the Sexual Abuse Task Force in the 90s. A true hero of a bloke. But I had to bow out as the vile realities of what was occurring literally did me in - I saw one photo of one 8 year old girl and what was being done to her and I was deeply traumatized for some time. I ended up needing the support I was offering.

In a nutshell, this horror (paedophilia/sexual abuse of children and teens) has been going on in human civilization since time immemorial. And continues to grow to this day. The brilliant work being done by truly remarkable people in rescuing these kids, globally, is Herculean. But, tragically, their numbers and support/funding is so poor as to be asking firefighters to collectively p1ss on bush fires rather than use appliances.

I've also seen the SBS doco, and others like it. The realities of the sex abuse horrors, and the horrendous numbers, are often simply too much for most members of society to confront, or at times even believe.

To make matters worse, we have to ask ourselves what happens to the kids/teens subjected to such atrocities as they grow up... rescued or not? Then we also have to ask ourselves what happens to the folks pursuing these heinous perpetrators - the burnout/PTSD prevalence of these exceptional folks is, as you could well imagine, very high.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #129
@Baggers ... I'd have no hesitation in shooting them on the spot but if that sh1t got to you, of all people, I'd have lost it far earlier.  You're not even human.  You're dead.

Reply #130
We're getting a bit off topic but there must be a link back to movies somewhere along the line  ::)

Many years ago, I was sent to the Turana Youth Training Centre to sort out their filing.  A few years before this, a couple of mates had "done time" in Turana and to do so was seen as a badge of honour to some of my schoolmates.

After a couple of hours of sorting through the files, it became very obvious that a common thread was sexual abuse at a young age, generally by family members and/or family friends.  Many of the tough kids that we admired/feared had been violated by those who should have been nurturing and protecting them.

Violence and misogyny were common threads in my neighbourhood but I think that it was learned behaviour rather than some innate desire to harm/degrade others.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #131
@ DJC
Interesting DJC and without going into too much detail I can support what you are saying. Sexual predation on the young can result in the young even learning from it and becoming predatory themselves, and I have definite knowledge of such in a society that is far away removef from that which you describe. In this case it was what some may call reasonably affluent middle-class. It is a terrible  curse on society for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #132
Something I’ve pondered over the past couple of months is why was the St Kilda and later Carlton little league pedophilla was NOT raised for discussion here ?
As the posts above show, it’s a far reaching issue and I was surprised that it hadn’t featured here…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #133
So.... umm.... top 8 this year for the blues????   (Not wanting to change the subject..... but desperately wanting to change the subject)

Reply #134
My fault for the tangent, sorry.  Favourite films in our household at the moment are Frozen, Moana, anything Star wars.  I just go to sleep on the couch.