Skip to main content
Topic: Movie & TV thread... (Read 12102 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Movie thread...

Reply #90
Mr inbetween is worth a watch. An aussie series that is a little cringe at times but hooked me in. 

'How ya goin' is his go to opening sentence before he belts the living suitcase out of a crook (well usually a crook) and then returns home to be a decent dad and caring brother to a guy with MND.

I liked it and some of his thoughts as politically incorrect as they were did make a bit of sense the way he put it.        

Reply #91
Mr inbetween is worth a watch. An aussie series that is a little cringe at times but hooked me in. 

'How ya goin' is his go to opening sentence before he belts the living suitcase out of a crook (well usually a crook) and then returns home to be a decent dad and caring brother to a guy with MND.

I liked it and some of his thoughts as politically incorrect as they were did make a bit of sense the way he put it.        
I mentioned this one a couple of weeks ago, I got hooked on it, loved it but the ending in series 3 is a bit crapola. Scott Ryan who starred as Ray Shoesmith and wrote the show was on Bob and Andy's drive show the other, great to listen to. You'll be happy to know he is a Bluebagger.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
This mornings CV debate reminds me of a great Streaming / TV series worth watching.

It stars Mark Strong who I rate as an actor and it is called Deep State.

Strong is also in another series worth watching, Temple.

If you find Temple interesting then you could watch Valkyrien, from NRK.

NRK and the BBC collaborate on some great Real Crime Podcasts as well, one of the best if you like listening to such is Death in Ice Valley.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
This mornings CV debate reminds me of a great Streaming / TV series worth watching.

It stars Mark Strong who I rate as an actor and it is called Deep State.

Strong is also in another series worth watching, Temple.

If you find Temple interesting then you could watch Valkyrien, from NRK.

NRK and the BBC collaborate on some great Real Crime Podcasts as well, one of the best if you like listening to such is Death in Ice Valley.

Thanks for the tips, Spotted One.

Loved Valkryrien.

Big fan of NRK and BBC stuff.

Recently finished watching The Blacklist. Got me in, though being a James Spader admirer helped. The casting of Boone in the role of Agent Keen was a mistake IMHO... needed a far stronger female lead. The overwhelming support and love for her by the cast lacks credibility and hurts the series. Being produced for TV also hurt the credibility. Dialogue lacks punch - no swearing doesn't match the violence. Great concepts though and Spader's acting carries the series.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #94
Recently finished watching The Blacklist. Got me in, though being a James Spader admirer helped. The casting of Boone in the role of Agent Keen was a mistake IMHO... needed a far stronger female lead. The overwhelming support and love for her by the cast lacks credibility and hurts the series. Being produced for TV also hurt the credibility. Dialogue lacks punch - no swearing doesn't match the violence. Great concepts though and Spader's acting carries the series.
Yes, watched this one to the end. I thought Boone was OK as Keen while Tom was still about, that sort of played off against the rest of the plots. Mr Kaplan was one of the favourite characters.

Hard to see why they are going again after the most recent show ending, I presume to kill off the rest, but I'll watch it because it's there next season!

Spader is a freak, and I believe he picks the music for the show, some of it was outstanding, he has an air of David Lynch without the weird. They just seem to know exactly where you have to put a piece of the puzzle.

Thought the early Blacklist stuff was better than the more recent series, you can see the impact of COVID on all these latest series. Not just this, plenty of other recent series the writing has turned to mush, it just shows video conference isn't a replacement for face to face.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
Yes, watched this one to the end. I thought Boone was OK as Keen while Tom was still about, that sort of played off against the rest of the plots. Mr Kaplan was one of the favourite characters.

Hard to see why they are going again after the most recent show ending, I presume to kill off the rest, but I'll watch it because it's there next season!

Spader is a freak, and I believe he picks the music for the show, some of it was outstanding, he has an air of David Lynch without the weird. They just seem to know exactly where you have to put a piece of the puzzle.

Thought the early Blacklist stuff was better than the more recent series, you can see the impact of COVID on all these latest series. Not just this, plenty of other recent series the writing has turned to mush, it just shows video conference isn't a replacement for face to face.

Like your summary, Spotted One. Agree that Keen was better when Tom was there. Tom's character was strong and believable.

Forgot to mention Mr Kaplan. What a brilliant character... was sorry to see go.

Spader has confessed he is drawn to the unusual... which his movies reflect. Except maybe for Stargate, which he wasn't thrilled with.

Totally agree that after season 5/6 things got too soft.

Also like the character, Dembe... and what a ripper 'Jellybean' was. Sad he passed away (in real life), as did Brian Dennehy... his character was developing nicely.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #96

It’s a cracker.  His strip-club owning boss is one of the great tv characters

Reply #97
Good points, K.

Ps Totally off point and as I respect your judgment re movies, etc., do you recommend a series as engaging as Blacklist?
@Baggers ...
Sorry, can't help you with that one. Never watched it personally.

There are so many good TV shows out there (as well as movies) and i simply don't have time to watch all the ones i want too, and certainly not enough time to start some with that many episodes.

So Blacklist? Dunno.
Black Mirror? Definitely!
Don't need a big investment as they are standalone episodes. If you like one, you'll like almost all though and it'll be the best thing you see for a long time.......but they are not for everyone.

Reply #98
Read a review in The Rage today reminded me of Deadwood.

Deadwood is worth a watch if anyone is looking for a series, sort of a Western version of Peaky Blinders, crooks running a town and some of the good and bad that goes with it.

I haven't seen the Deadwood movie from 2019, can anyone offer some feedback?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
I see shooting has started on the new Alex Baldwin movie.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103
The whole thing is a bit bizarre.

On the face of it it's a terrible accident and the negligence seems to be (or is being blamed ) on the part of the armory crew and the AD  who handed Baldwin the gun and pronounced it 'cold'
Conspiracy theories are starting to take off...Was the gun fiddled with on purpose to make Baldwin look  bad given his anti-gun stance?
The thing I don't get is why the gun was pointed at someone who was not part of the 'acting group'...and the trigger pulled.

Good luck to the authorities trying to make sense of all that.

@ LP re Deadwood...It's been a while so I'm not sure  whether you caught up with the film. If you liked the series you'll probably enjoy the film. It kind of ties up a few things. When the series was cancelled it left everything a bit up in the air.