Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 (Read 8075 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022

Reply #15

I kind of lost interest in the women's comp and didn't watch much for a while.
I guess the player movement (who's playing for Carlton this year?)and the still unsettled nature of the competition (number of sides still being worked out) had a bit to do with that drop off.
It's hard to invest in a side when there's that switching of players and as new teams enter the competition there's a need for that movement to occur to bolster the new sides.
Having said that...
I just caught a few games towards the end of the last season and thought that there had been a definite improvement in the standard.
It was probably more obvious not having watched for some time.
The teams are now settled with all 18 teams across both the mens and the womens.

re player movement, its been a bit of an exodus of late, but considering the amount of teams coming in....and the fact we've snaffled a few from elsewhere (O'Dea, Dal Pos..) its not quite as bad as it seems.

Harris is irreplaceable when on song....but she'd been very much a Fevola, but with slightly less extremes.
remember when Fev took off his boots late in a game? Remember when he refused to chase and argued with an umpire despite the ball being 2m away? A lot of people have forgotten that, but remember 8 goals against Mal Michael and Dustin Fletcher basically in a half. At the time, i was happy for fev to go. I'm also happy for Harris to go.
Perhaps now we can get some more consistency, and less reliant on 1 individual.....and very much an individual.
The Hoskings hurt, but their skill level was questionable and will now be replaced by the new generation coming through. Abby McKay and Mimi Hill offer the same hardness, but with an upgrade on skills. Possibly not the same level of kamikaze as the hoskings, but acceptable none the less.

Overall, i was disappointed with our off-season list changes, but i'm hoping the improvement in team culture (with no harris) covers the gap. I expect finals this year.

Reply #16
....and as if on cue...

https://www.womens.afl/news/75057
The latest "everyone is flying" propaganda from the club.

Reply #17
The teams are now settled with all 18 teams across both the mens and the womens.

re player movement, its been a bit of an exodus of late, but considering the amount of teams coming in....and the fact we've snaffled a few from elsewhere (O'Dea, Dal Pos..) its not quite as bad as it seems.
Yep, it's settled now, but was still being worked through when I dropped off.

I'd like to think I can get back on board with it, but when you do lose interest there's no guarantee it will return.
But that's just a personal thing.
You can't manufacture enthusiasm.

Anyway, hopefully they have a good season...that's the best way to get folks interested.

Reply #18
There's a good couple of pics of Maddy and diesel laughing it up. (not what i posted the other day).

Not sure what happened, but Maddy is helping diesel up off the ground.

Hopefully someone else (with insta?) can post a pic.

Reply #20
We've lost Serena Gibbs for the coming season: mental health issues. Considering that she was the one we were hoping on to take over as FF, we've just ben hit by a vicious blow.  :'(  :'(
However, it does allow us to recruit someone else while Gibbs is on the inactive list.  :o  :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
We've lost Serena Gibbs for the coming season: mental health issues. Considering that she was the one we were hoping on to take over as FF, we've just ben hit by a vicious blow.  :'(  :'(
However, it does allow us to recruit someone else while Gibbs is on the inactive list.  :o  :)

That's a shame.  She was showing a lot of promise and looked like she was enjoying her footy.

Hopefully, she can get appropriate help and sort out her issues.  Playing footy again will be a bonus and I hope she gets another chance to excel.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
Timing is interesting.   No comments about no jab no play here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
With losing Harris, and now Gibbs, there will be a lot riding on Darcy Vescio and Nic Stevens. to perform at or above the same level as last year.
It will also through Imogen Milford into the deep end pretty quickly as the only other player capable of playing that role on the list.

Reply #25
Timing is interesting.   No comments about no jab no play here.

Probably because the club announced that all players are vaccinated  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
When did they announce that?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/carltons-aflw-squad-avoids-covid-issues-that-have-hit-richmond-and-adelaide/news-story/97c040f429672515cb08c2209234f3b8

But Carlton AFLW coach Daniel Harford revealed all Blues players and staff have had at least one jab, with the majority already receiving two after recently beginning pre-season training.

Reply #28
Late last week there was some behind the scenes news brewing. A controversy relating to our AFLW/VFLW squads and a coach or senior executive/administrator acting inappropriately, also potentially involving a former marquee player.

It all seems to have vanished for now!

I wonder if this is the hand of Cook, or it could be the media groups have put in on the backburner subject the Paine story fading away, and as such the story may resurface shortly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Late last week there was some behind the scenes news brewing. A controversy relating to our AFLW/VFLW squads and a coach or senior executive/administrator acting inappropriately, also potentially involving a former marquee player.

It all seems to have vanished for now!

I wonder if this is the hand of Cook, or it could be the media groups have put in on the backburner subject the Paine story fading away, and as such the story may resurface shortly!

Please explain.
PM if necessary