Reply #1
RIP Charlie. end of an era

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Reply #2
One of the best

Reply #3
One of the best

Absolutely, CC. Brilliant drummer and as you so rightly said, one of the best.

When on tour, while the other 'rockers' and roadies were enjoying the groupies when not performing, he'd be in his own motel room filling in time until they headed home - the place he most loved to be.

RIP, Charlie, you're a legend.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
Absolutely, CC. Brilliant drummer and as you so rightly said, one of the best.

When on tour, while the other 'rockers' and roadies were enjoying the groupies when not performing, he'd be in his own motel room filling in time until they headed home - the place he most loved to be.

RIP, Charlie, you're a legend.

Reply #5
RIP Charlie.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
I Iove the story recounted by Keith where where he and Mick were in an upstairs room and Charlie bounded in.  Mick said" here's my drummer" which made Charlie grab Mick, turn him upside down and hold him by the ankle's out the window with Keith pleading with Charlie not to let go.

RIP  Charlie

Reply #7
Triple M being paying tribute to him, playing interviews and songs.
They really do paying respects to icons well IMO.

Reply #8
I Iove the story recounted by Keith where where he and Mick were in an upstairs room and Charlie bounded in.  Mick said" here's my drummer" which made Charlie grab Mick, turn him upside down and hold him by the ankle's out the window with Keith pleading with Charlie not to let go.

RIP  Charlie

And not only that, Charlie retorted, "I'm not your drummer, you're my singer."

Reply #11
Just watched a drumming doco on Netflix called 'Count me in'

Charlie gets a mention or 2 in that.

Reply #12
I saw the Stones at the Palais in 1966 and again at Kooyong in 1973.  The Palais wasn’t a great venue but I was rapt with their performance at the time.  The Kooyong concert took it to an entirely new level.

I always thought that Charlie was the coolest member of the Stones and a drummer with a unique style.  I think he put that down to being self-taught.

RIP
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
I saw the Stones at the Palais in 1966 and again at Kooyong in 1973.  The Palais wasn’t a great venue but I was rapt with their performance at the time.  The Kooyong concert took it to an entirely new level.

I always thought that Charlie was the coolest member of the Stones and a drummer with a unique style.  I think he put that down to being self-taught.

RIP

I think he started off as a jazz drummer DJC, before moving across to R&B. That would have had an impact on the way he played.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
I stood next to Charlie in a pub in Soho called the Dog and Duck in the early 80's when his big band were playing at Ronnie Scott;s just down the road, I had the temerity to say to him '' how are you Charlie'' he looked at me and his eyes said it all, I don't know what he was on but he was off his trolley, he had a lot of money in his wallet too let me tell you.