Skip to main content
Topic: A message from SOS (Read 4313 times) previous topic - next topic

A message from SOS

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-sports/blues-great-whacks-biggest-flaw-haunting-carlton/ar-AAOZHwy?ocid=msedgntp

"I think most Carlton people would say this: Michael Voss has got to make that team into a selfless football team – they don't know what selfless is, watching that Carlton team," the former Blues list boss said on AFL Trade Radio.

"They don't sacrifice for each other, they don't help each other, they need to become a selfless team.

Re: A message from SOS

Reply #1
This goes far far back.

Some key moments in history to remind people of our lack of team spirit.

- sMurph arrives, Carlton lets the Lions pulverise him in his first season.
 - Fev needs a goal to hit the ton, Carlton leave him one out against half a Dawks team courtesy of The Angry Ant.
 - sMurph is on the ground being pounded, team-mates Tuohy and Henderson jog on by, then join the Handbagging offenders!

- We kybosh Mitch Robinson.

- Any week one of our players is targeted by the salacious media, you get crickets from the club!

- The Curnows at the tribunal, thanks Handbagger Dangerflog!

- Plowman at the tribunal, thanks Handbagger Hocking and MRP Christian

- Every game our defence is left outnumbered by opposition, while our Mids and Forwards roam outside D50 waiting for a turnover!

In any given week we often have less than a handful of players who sacrifice regularly, Walsh, Weitering, SoJ, Jones, Plowman, Ed, Doc and Betts might be the only regulars from last season, with some special mentions to Owies and Stocker. But you need the bulk of the team to be doing the right thing, not less than half of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
I think Plowman is a selfless player. Maybe that's why he plays every game and polls well in the B+F, despite most saying that he sucks.

Reply #3
I think Plowman is a selfless player. Maybe that's why he plays every game and polls well in the B+F, despite most saying that he sucks.

Selfless shouldn't extend to gifting the opposition goals.

Reply #6
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/01/what-decisions-is-he-making-former-teammate-calls-out-saads-playing-style/

Teague made no secret of wanting a mostly attacking game plan. Some of the blame has to lie with him. I assume they were more than anything playing to instruction, and Saad was specifically recruited for that attacking half back role. I find it hard to believe that if Teague was telling them to defend more, that after a preseason plus a full season (in Saad's case) or longer in other cases, that the message still wasn't getting through. You can't blame the players for everything.

Reply #7
Next season will be very interesting. Given the sacking and the review, I'm safely assuming that there will be more focus on defence and pressure. We'll get a better idea of the players then.

Reply #8
Teague made no secret of wanting a mostly attacking game plan. Some of the blame has to lie with him. I assume they were more than anything playing to instruction, and Saad was specifically recruited for that attacking half back role. I find it hard to believe that if Teague was telling them to defend more, that after a preseason plus a full season (in Saad's case) or longer in other cases, that the message still wasn't getting through. You can't blame the players for everything.

The expectancy with you have an offensive game plan is they will defend and run the other way when they haven't got the ball. Should be a basic to any player. So, yes, this is on the players. Not sure how it can't be. Wasn't alot of a pre-season last time with COVID to work on much last time anyway.

If noticed when we were switched on we defended well. Pies, the 2nd time, twice with Freo, Geelong, St.Kilda, and the 2nd half against Hawthorn after Teague gave them one almighty half time blast for not defending. The issue was the players simply wouldn't work hard enough to defend, tackle and run two ways, only doing it when they felt like it. Carlton cultural issues. Many coaches over the years here have been telling them things until they were blue in the face and often got donuts.

Reply #9
Of all the coaches since Brittain, I've not heard one lay the blame on player laziness or thick headedness in terms of on field effort. Not one. Pagan certainly had issues with the leaders white anting him, but that's not the same thing.

Reply #10
Our defensive woes were exacerbated by too many turnovers and mistakes resulting in our getting caught flat footed too often in defence. The better skilled teams make fewer errors and so do not get put under the same degree of pressure by opposition teams. Eventually we become demoralised by this and too weary/unmotivated to chase.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
Our defensive woes were exacerbated by too many turnovers and mistakes resulting in our getting caught flat footed too often in defence. The better skilled teams make fewer errors and so do not get put under the same degree of pressure by opposition teams. Eventually we become demoralised by this and too weary/unmotivated to chase.
Our blokes get weary after one turnover, but I agree our turnovers are of the basic error type in the main and with our poor manning up its usually options galore for the opposition when they get the ball back and rebound it.
Sometimes we never even touched the ball on its way back down the ground into enemy territory, the Nth game was just a classic example of how bad we can get. I'm big on leadership in this area and your leaders setting the example and not having to wait for a quarter or half time break for the coach to send a rocket to his players.

Reply #12
Our mental application across the board is terrible. And I believe it is rooted in certain individuals who aren't pushed out when they demonstrate that mental fragility. If you can't handle the slightest bit of pressure - and let's be honest Plowman is a good example of one who definitely can't - why pursue it any longer. How are they going to stand up in a GF when the opposition gets a run on when they can't stand up in a regular season game against a bottom 2 team in front of no crowd?

Reply #13
Of all the coaches since Brittain, I've not heard one lay the blame on player laziness or thick headedness in terms of on field effort. Not one. Pagan certainly had issues with the leaders white anting him, but that's not the same thing.

Just because they don't do it publicly doesn't mean they don't cop it between the 4 walls. Thought you'd know that.

Reply #14
Just because they don't do it publicly doesn't mean they don't cop it between the 4 walls. Thought you'd know that.

Plenty of time has passed for Brittain, Pagan, Ratten and I would argue Malthouse, for them to let fly if they wish. Pagan and Malthouse have criticised the club plenty, but never said a word about lazy players who refuse to run both ways.