B:  Weitering Jones Newman
HB: Plowman Young Saad
C:    Dow E Curnow Cerra
HF:  Martin C Curnow De Koning
F:    Silvagni McKay Owies
R:    Pittonet, Cripps, Walsh

Int:  Stocker, Kemp, Williams, Hewett

Emerg:  Fisher, Fogarty, Williamson

I'd probably start Stocker and run TDK and/or Young off the bench, but I quite like the look of that list, just a few positional shuffles for me to get some run into the midfield.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Herald Sun 2022 Best 22

Reply #31
I know what was said, but to me it's a body language thing, he plays that role without joy or celebration.

Maybe it's just his way, but I think he is just not as invested in the team as he once was, it could of course be related to carrying injuries.
You do realise our coach was sacked because and if the playing group didn't like him.
Perhaps that's the body language you were picking up on?

Reply #32

I'd probably start Stocker and run TDK and/or Young off the bench, but I quite like the look of that list, just a few positional shuffles for me to get some run into the midfield.

I tried to build some flexibility into the 22 via the interchange bench; De Koning, Young, Pittonet, etc could all spend time on the bench without unbalancing the team.  I thought about De Koning rucking with Young as backup but you need two ruckmen against Gawn and Jackson.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Zac Fisher has spent a fair chunk of time off injured, but I think people forget how good he can be.  He has good pace, is good in traffic, is a quick thinker, very tricky, and tackles hard enough (he is one of the few carlton players I have seen who managed to tackle Dusty going the fend off!!).

If can unlock a role for him where he brings us true value, then we will benefit enormously because he is one of those clean players, who can use the ball well, and hits the scoreboard.

His only real issue is that he is small.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
Zac Fisher has spent a fair chunk of time off injured, but I think people forget how good he can be.  He has good pace, is good in traffic, is a quick thinker, very tricky, and tackles hard enough (he is one of the few carlton players I have seen who managed to tackle Dusty going the fend off!!).

If can unlock a role for him where he brings us true value, then we will benefit enormously because he is one of those clean players, who can use the ball well, and hits the scoreboard.

His only real issue is that he is small.
While I agree in principle, there are only going to be a limited number of spots available for this type of player, too many and you become uncompetitive.

Being overtly aggressive isn't a remedy for being lightweight, and having too many in that category remains a problem regardless of attitude. I think part of the reason for Nthmond's success with that aggressive game style was that they had multiple players of the Voss build type, fast yet heavy bodied and durable. Nthmond have lightweights too, but they are relegated to support roles and have to go once or twice a game as required, they aren't found smashing themselves at the coal face stoppage after stoppage. Last season when they had a few outs, it was amazing how they fell away when they depended too heavily on that second tier!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
One thing I like about Fisher is the way he grabbed Dusty's "don't argue" arm, rendering it useless and forcing an untidy disposal or free kick. 

Fisher is one who could benefit if we get the right mix of midfielders and small forwards; he generally gets clear and uses the ball well.  It's not doing it often enough that's the problem and that could be addressed if our inside mids are feeding him the ball.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
Basic jiu-jitsu move,  grab arm and pull,  watch Dusty topple over onto his face.

Being a mid these days is all about size and power.  Something lacking on our list...so not surprised that SPS,  Gibbons gone,  Fisher under pressure.  Petracca at 95 kg beats Fisher at 75 kg.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
Basic jiu-jitsu move,  grab arm and pull,  watch Dusty topple over onto his face.

Being a mid these days is all about size and power.  Something lacking on our list...so not surprised that SPS,  Gibbons gone,  Fisher under pressure.  Petracca at 95 kg beats Fisher at 75 kg.
Think Wines is about 98kg....tough game for a small lightweight mid these days. You have to be something special like a Sam Walsh to be able to compete when you give away that size and strength every week.

Reply #38
Think Wines is about 98kg....tough game for a small lightweight mid these days. You have to be something special like a Sam Walsh to be able to compete when you give away that size and strength every week.
Not everyone has to win the ball.

There are advantages of being small....slippery  fish...is hard to get a grip on when you are not standing right on top of him.

Play people to their advantages

Reply #39
Not everyone has to win the ball.

There are advantages of being small....slippery  fish...is hard to get a grip on when you are not standing right on top of him.

Play people to their advantages
Contested ball is king...he won't be winning it much in the middle vs Trac, Wines, Bont etc.
Caleb Daniel was a mid at U18 level and twice the player Fisher is but he has to live on a half back flank and never goes through the middle. Don't get me wrong I like Zac but he doesn't have the weapons to overcome the lack of size imo, not when your opponent is 95kg, 190cm plus and can match you for speed..
Better off on a wing imho collecting and being part of a chain and distributing..

Reply #40
Contested ball is king...he won't be winning it much in the middle vs Trac, Wines, Bont etc.
Caleb Daniel was a mid at U18 level and twice the player Fisher is but he has to live on a half back flank and never goes through the middle. Don't get me wrong I like Zac but he doesn't have the weapons to overcome the lack of size imo, not when your opponent is 95kg, 190cm plus and can match you for speed..
Better off on a wing imho collecting and being part of a chain and distributing..
Exactly my point.

Reply #41
Caleb Daniel was a mid at U18 level and twice the player Fisher is but he has to live on a half back flank and never goes through the middle.
I think of Daniels when I read about Gibbons plight, Gibbons is just a shade less accomplished using the ball, has a bit less pace than Daniels, and is slightly less agile. Yet our fans think Gibbons has been hard done by not getting a midfield run, I suspect the reality is like for like Daniels was a step up from Gibbons in the midfield, but is still off the pace for an AFL midfield rotation.

Like Daniels I think Gibbons is good for a few minutes here and there while other players get reshuffled or spelled, but a fulltime midfield rotation would just put them both to the sword. Fisher is no different!

I know we want the story to be different, but I have to think like an opposition coach in this matter, and I'd be telling guys like Oliver, Petracca, Vlastuin, Cotchin, Liberatore, Selwood, Viney or Dangerfield, some of whom do not need to be told, to bump and dump players like Fisher, Daniels and Gibbons at every opportunity. You can imagine what Cotchin, Selwood or Dangerfield would do to these guys if they were getting too busy, it would be Hodge like! Unlike Robbo, if Fisher has a collision with Dusty it's not going to be Dusty limping off!

Fans don't get that when that happens it hurts the teams chances, they think coaches should barrel players for not sacrificing themselves on the alter, but it's counterproductive for players who are likely to be on the losing side of that contest to do so! You need a trick that hurts the opposition in some other circumstance, Fisher might have some, Daniel does, Gibbons I'm not sure about!

Nice guys do not win AFL games, it a lesson we have never really learned.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Thank God the people in the media are not picking our best team.