Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 12 Carlton vs Essendon at Windy Hill (Read 3261 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 12 Carlton vs Essendon at Windy Hill

Reply #30
So good but run over by Essendon's vfl midfield.

Happy for Cottrell to come in for Cerra. Setterfield can be the medical sub.
Personally I never want to see Setterfield in the seniors ever again. Lopes around, zero urgency and the no look around the kicks straight to the opo are to die for.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31

I found this on Bigfooty and thought you might be interested. Seriously, this squad should never have lost to Essendon.
However, a lot of the AFL names were really down.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32

I found this on Bigfooty and thought you might be interested. Seriously, this squad should never have lost to Essendon.
And its critical that both the ones and twos are up and about together. The first few games, both teams were playing the same way and winning. I find it interesting that Friday night was the first time we've seen Vossy animated for not playing our way, the same week the twos lose a game they should never have lost. I didn't see the game, I'd be interested to hear how they played versus our game plan/style. That is, did they also stray from it?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Been burnt by him way too many times.  Never again

Yep I’m with you cap. The bloke has had enough chances and one good vfl game doesn’t change my view on him. 

Reply #34
I thought we were done over by the umpires in the end, there was some horrendous decisions that went the wrong way, and there was one non-controlling umpire who kept intervening in CheatsFC favour.

In particular in the 2nd half he basically caused a 4 goal swing with decisions given from long range. In one case he awarded a free kick against us from long range for front on contact, except it was our player who was taken front!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I can see why Setterfield got a kick or two, thats a very no name bunch of unknowns playing for Essendon apart from a couple of their talls. Should be an investigation why we lost that game to such a non descript opposition......

Reply #36
I can see why Setterfield got a kick or two, thats a very no name bunch of unknowns playing for Essendon apart from a couple of their talls. Should be an investigation why we lost that game to such a non descript opposition......
True, but sometimes it's not about what you do.

One thing I found disappointing again, Mirkov should have absolutely dominated, and got plenty of first hands to the ball but gave us little or no advantage. For all his natural agility and size, I think he is a long way off playing AFL at AFL standard and will only get a game as some sort of desperate last resort.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
They had the best name in the AFL playing for them: Massimo D’Ambrosio. He’s pretty much the best of the West - only a couple of years battling injury kept him from being drafted. He copped a shoulder injury a couple of weeks ago playing for the Tigers VFL side which looked as though it would sideline him after Essendon picked him up in the mid-season draft but he surprised everybody by playing yesterday. He racked up 32 possessions despite being off for a while for the trainers to look at his shoulder. Smart left footer who plays like a QB directing play. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets an AFL call-up next week or the week after.

Reply #38
I thought we were done over by the umpires in the end, there was some horrendous decisions that went the wrong way, and there was one non-controlling umpire who kept intervening in CheatsFC favour.

In particular in the 2nd half he basically caused a 4 goal swing with decisions given from long range. In one case he awarded a free kick against us from long range for front on contact, except it was our player who was taken front!

The umpiring was puzzling at best 🙄

The conditions weren’t conducive to good footy.  About the only thing the commentators got right was calling the venue “Very Windy Hill”.  One shot for goal into the wind dropped short almost vertically … into the lap of a Bombres forward.

The Essendon team was a lot stronger than the sides they have fielded previously.  They’ve found a player in D’Ambrosio and Bryan is promising 🙁

Stocker played well, as did Setterfield, Hayes and Dow.  Durdin was shaky early but improved as the game went on.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
They had the best name in the AFL playing for them: Massimo D’Ambrosio. He’s pretty much the best of the West - only a couple of years battling injury kept him from being drafted. He copped a shoulder injury a couple of weeks ago playing for the Tigers VFL side which looked as though it would sideline him after Essendon picked him up in the mid-season draft but he surprised everybody by playing yesterday. He racked up 32 possessions despite being off for a while for the trainers to look at his shoulder. Smart left footer who plays like a QB directing play. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets an AFL call-up next week or the week after.

He was BOG by a mile, a level above the rest of the field.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
Watched it on-line - the game was stuffed by a 5-goal wind going to one end of the ground, which we did not use at all well by bombing long into an undersized forward line.  To make matters worse, the Bombers kicked almost half of their score going into the wind. 

The gap between AFL and second-tier competitions has never been bigger IMO.  I don't think they can continue to run a 21-team competition in the VFL, the standard is pretty ordinary on average.  James Stewart, who is really a bit of a spud, looked like a world-beater out there, in what was a scrappy, awful game.

On the other side of the coin, guys who look average in the VFL can suddenly play far better in the AFL simply because they are surrounded by higher-quality ball users.  Dow looked a cut above, and I think he comes in for Cerra.  Setters got the ball a lot, but he still does some remarkably dumb things. 

And someone needs to get into Ben Crocker's ear about his on-field body language.  He either looks disinterested, or sooks in the forward pocket.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #41
It’s good to see good things happen to good people. No one would have a bad word to say about Massimo. If politeness and friendliness were an Olympic sport, he’d have a handful of gold medals. He always says hello and stops to have a chat with opposing coaches, opponents and opponents’ parents. Not bad for a guy who was identified early as AFL-worthy and had the red carpet rolled out for him in rep footy. Yes, it might just be good sense to avoid being a little sh! t but we see plenty of examples of players breaking simple rules when they have a bit of power. You’d think “Don’t sledge your team mates or fight them” would be simple to follow and “Don’t do drugs and if you do don’t allow pictures or videos of it” is a bit of a no-brainer too. There’s a couple of U/18s who may well be picked up in this year’s draft who aren’t big on politeness. One guy showed himself to be a total arsehole in a NAB League practice match when he started with some pretty arrogant sledging. And there’s another guy who needed to move schools after the way he treated fellow students. So being a good guy and having talent isn’t a double that’s easy to maintain.

Reply #42
Agree with that, he is neat kick and I think will be a replacement for Saad....I wouldnt mind stealing Nick Bryan away from the Bombers, he wont ever get a look in with Draper as the No 1 ruck and down the track I reckon TDK and Bryan would be a decent double act...

Reply #43
Phillips will be sent on his way as soon as Essendon have another ruck ready to roll. If they think Bryan’s that guy, bye bye Phillips.

Reply #44
Watched it on-line - the game was stuffed by a 5-goal wind going to one end of the ground, which we did not use at all well by bombing long into an undersized forward line.  To make matters worse, the Bombers kicked almost half of their score going into the wind. 

The gap between AFL and second-tier competitions has never been bigger IMO.  I don't think they can continue to run a 21-team competition in the VFL, the standard is pretty ordinary on average.  James Stewart, who is really a bit of a spud, looked like a world-beater out there, in what was a scrappy, awful game.

On the other side of the coin, guys who look average in the VFL can suddenly play far better in the AFL simply because they are surrounded by higher-quality ball users.  Dow looked a cut above, and I think he comes in for Cerra.  Setters got the ball a lot, but he still does some remarkably dumb things. 

And someone needs to get into Ben Crocker's ear about his on-field body language.  He either looks disinterested, or sooks in the forward pocket.
I'd be sooking too if I kept being overlooked at draft time and having to play as a KP forward, think he has improved from his old Collingwood days and is a wily operator who could play some senior footy. Tory Dickson was a premiership player who kicked around in the VFL for a fair while for Essendon but then was recruited by Ken Hinkley I think, for the Dogs, who was very under rated until everyone noticed he converted everything that came his way. Conversion is an under valued skill IMO and I think Crocker could be a Tory Dickson type at the right club.