Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 15 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 5446 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 15 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #45
I hope Freo don’t destroy us on the scoreboard. If we lose by 3 goals or less, I will be happy with the result. We can’t keep being competitive with what we have available. Better squads have done worse with less injury issues to key players than we have. The football gods will need to do something special to get us over the line against Freo. Not being negative. Just realistic. I will pray and have hope. Just won’t be devastated if we don’t get over the line.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #46
I wouldn't give up too soon, but this is a bit of a perfect storm.  Playing at the Dome means a dry deck, which means less ball coming to ground.  We were likely a better chance last week going smaller, and playing a more running game with the open spaces and greasy conditions at the MCG.  Never the less, its not over until the lady warms up her pipes.

IF I were the MC, I would plan to rove to a losing Ruckman as a start.  I think I would play Kemp back to supplement Young, ruck a combination of TDK with either Mirkov, or JSOS, and then look to employ the exact tactics that Hawthorn used against us which is load up the backline and get players on their bike running forward.  Shame we don't have Williams for this, but it will have to be Docherty, Saad and Newman doing this, with Plow, and Young doing the stay at home jobs, with JSOS or TDK dropping behind the ball to supplement.  Supplement Charlie and Harry forward with Cripps to try and make Freo cover our talls at that end and go with a bunch of runners outside of that.  If you can cover the ground well, you are a better chance to get in this week IMHO because when you dont have height, you need run.

A bit of luck, and we can jag a win this weekend.  Unfortunately for us, the home ground advantage is not so good, because Freo are coming off the bye, which could help or hurt us.  In this case, they might have a few cobwebs and play a looser game, so we might need to capitalise on this early.  If we look to run it this week, the lack of conditioning could hurt them.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
Is Cerra back this week?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
I wouldn't give up too soon, but this is a bit of a perfect storm.  Playing at the Dome means a dry deck, which means less ball coming to ground.  We were likely a better chance last week going smaller, and playing a more running game with the open spaces and greasy conditions at the MCG.  Never the less, its not over until the lady warms up her pipes.

IF I were the MC, I would plan to rove to a losing Ruckman as a start.  I think I would play Kemp back to supplement Young, ruck a combination of TDK with either Mirkov, or JSOS, and then look to employ the exact tactics that Hawthorn used against us which is load up the backline and get players on their bike running forward.  Shame we don't have Williams for this, but it will have to be Docherty, Saad and Newman doing this, with Plow, and Young doing the stay at home jobs, with JSOS or TDK dropping behind the ball to supplement.  Supplement Charlie and Harry forward with Cripps to try and make Freo cover our talls at that end and go with a bunch of runners outside of that.  If you can cover the ground well, you are a better chance to get in this week IMHO because when you dont have height, you need run.

A bit of luck, and we can jag a win this weekend.  Unfortunately for us, the home ground advantage is not so good, because Freo are coming off the bye, which could help or hurt us.  In this case, they might have a few cobwebs and play a looser game, so we might need to capitalise on this early.  If we look to run it this week, the lack of conditioning could hurt them.

When are you starting your role with the MC Thry?

You would think that the MC would follow a similar path.  However, the members of the MC are paid big bucks to come up with winning combinations and you never know what they’re thinking until the team’s announced or Vossy gives away one selection.

Kemp, in form, would provide run out of defence and his work last game could earn him selection in the firsts.  I’d like to see him named in the 22.

I’d also like to see Stocker in the 22 but none of our defenders from the Richmond game should be dropped.

Adding Mirkov to the 22 is an interesting question.  I think that his ruckwork has deteriorated as the season has progressed.  In the opening rounds he was leaping over his opponent and palming or punching the ball to advantage.  He now seems to want to initiate body contact, stop his opponent jumping, and use his reach to bring the ball down to his feet.  It’s not working and would give Darcy and Lobb field days.  Would that be better than Jack and Crippa in the ruck?

Mirkov only took one mark against Footscray and you’d want more than that from your beanpole.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49

You would think that the MC would follow a similar path.  However, the members of the MC are paid big bucks to come up with winning combinations and you never know what they’re thinking until the team’s announced or Vossy gives away one selection.

Kemp, in form, would provide run out of defence and his work last game could earn him selection in the firsts.  I’d like to see him named in the 22.

I’d also like to see Stocker in the 22 but none of our defenders from the Richmond game should be dropped.

Adding Mirkov to the 22 is an interesting question.  I think that his ruckwork has deteriorated as the season has progressed.  In the opening rounds he was leaping over his opponent and palming or punching the ball to advantage.  He now seems to want to initiate body contact, stop his opponent jumping, and use his reach to bring the ball down to his feet.  It’s not working and would give Darcy and Lobb field days.  Would that be better than Jack and Crippa in the ruck?

Mirkov only took one mark against Footscray and you’d want more than that from your beanpole.

LOL, Im no football expert, but the one reason to try Mirkov is simply because shock value might be something we can leverage and use to advantage.  Might cost Freo a quarter or two before they realise there will be no JSos rucking, and if its working out well, we get the bonus of being able to use TDK and JSOS to stretch the opposition defense.

If it goes poorly it could be a losing tactic, but its worth a crack this week as the alternative is probably not dissimilar anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
LOL, Im no football expert, but the one reason to try Mirkov is simply because shock value might be something we can leverage and use to advantage.  Might cost Freo a quarter or two before they realise there will be no JSos rucking, and if its working out well, we get the bonus of being able to use TDK and JSOS to stretch the opposition defense.
Personally, the guy you want rucking inside F50 is Cripps, for the reasons I have outlined in previous weeks. Like Hawkins he is highly likely to win a free inside F50 when rucking simply because the opposition will panic and infringe trying to out body him.

I agree that a Mirkov type can be shock value, an unknown unknown always stumps coaches initially, but maybe if we want to maximise that potential it's worth keeping it in hand for something we really need, like if we make a final and are still in this ruck depleted situation!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51

Re Mirkov: Could be to instruction from Cruzer or some injury that he can play with but not enough to keep him out?

Reply #52
Re Mirkov: Could be to instruction from Cruzer or some injury that he can play with but not enough to keep him out?

Yes, he missed a game with an ankle injury and I was thinking along the same lines.  However, every now and again he goes back to his old ways and jumps over his opponent  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53

If it goes poorly it could be a losing tactic, but its worth a crack this week as the alternative is probably not dissimilar anyway.

Mirkov would be giving away 8kg to Darcy but I guess that's not a lot when you're 104kg.  Mirkov and Lobb are roughly the same size but it would be Mirkov's lack of experience and footy smarts that would let him down; Darcy and Lobb would be able to out position him without too much trouble.  However, if he gives a contest it would free up Silvagni and Cripps to focus on their primary roles.

It's definitely worth a try.

Reply #54
I do hope we are reminding the AFL about what happened to Pitto last time we played Freo, before Darcy wrecks another Carlton player!

Perhaps if Darcy hasn't got eyes on the ball someone should poke him in the eye, accidentally of course, like Lynch did to Saad front on without penalty again!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Confirmed in the press here today that Taberner will play one more week at least in the WAFL....so that helps I guess. Safe to assume then that Logue will stay forward along with Lobb. Young will obviously get Lobb and then hope that Kemp or Docherty can play on Logue.

Switkowski ripped us last time too and he's not playing....he's extremely dangerous. But Frederick comes back in.....Saad probably gets him purely on the pace factor? Schultz is also dangerous and very strong.....I'd have Stocker back in to play on him.

Reply #56
Confirmed in the press here today that Taberner will play one more week at least in the WAFL....so that helps I guess. Safe to assume then that Logue will stay forward along with Lobb. Young will obviously get Lobb and then hope that Kemp or Docherty can play on Logue.

Switkowski ripped us last time too and he's not playing....he's extremely dangerous. But Frederick comes back in.....Saad probably gets him purely on the pace factor? Schultz is also dangerous and very strong.....I'd have Stocker back in to play on him.
Schultz must have had Covid last game as no one went near him and he got goals from being on his own. He needs someone sticking close so he doesn't get easy looks at goal as he is a good set shot.

Reply #57
Taberner not playing is a big one - Logue is average at best.  I am more worried about who gets Fyfe when he goes forward....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #58
Schultz must have had Covid last game as no one went near him and he got goals from being on his own. He needs someone sticking close so he doesn't get easy looks at goal as he is a good set shot.

Boyd??

Reply #59
I am more worried about who gets Fyfe when he goes forward....
SOS
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time