Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 9534 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #135
Williams isn't overly intense, but he is in competition with Mr Valium himself, Setterfield.

For mine, Williams plays back, Doc spends more time in the middle swapping both in bursts.
Think you are right with Williams down back and Doc in the middle and some swapping. I would play Williams on a less dangerous player not someone like Elliott..

Reply #136
Think you are right with Williams down back and Doc in the middle and some swapping. I would play Williams on a less dangerous player not someone like Elliott..
Yep.

With Saad and Williams both down back it gives us a double pronged running quarterback/deliverer type which allows us to use Saad as a lockdown when required, say for Elliott, and means that 'No Saad, No Carlton' is not so true as Williams fills that role.
Docherty is brilliant off the half back and love his booming kick, but as far as a pure runner/evasive style....thats not really his go, more so Williams.

It also allows us to toughen up the midfield missing a couple blocks in there as Docherty goes as hard as anyone.

Reply #137
Surely this is all ducks and drakes stuff. Hewitt can't be fit,  Cerra must be questionable and I don't trust Williams.  If he plays and burns us I'd never forgive him.

This is going to be a fast, hard running game,  you'd want to be seriously fit and show up 100% to chase and harass the ball carrier.

I think the most important question is who you going to ruck?  We can't carry two rucks.

I don't like the defensive balance and I'd certainly play Stocker to give us a mobile defensive option or midfield rotation.   I'd have considered Dow as a running option for the Daicos boys but I doubt he's ever done anything defensive in his career, so that would rule him out as well. I don't think there's a place for Motlop either this week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #138
I think the most important question is who you going to ruck?  We can't carry two rucks.
We can and should run with two rucks, but not with all the other talls playing, the room is full of elephants.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
Possibly the best team on paper that we’ve fielded this year - let’s hope that they’re fit and durable on the day🙏

Reply #140
Pick 4 and a sub from that.....assuming Cerra does take his place in the side as he is named in the guts.
[6] Zac Williams,
[29] George Hewett,
[12] Tom De Koning,
[43] Will Setterfield,
[13] Liam Stocker,
[3] Jesse Motlop,
[4] Lochie O'Brien,
[32] Jack Newnes

For mine....
Lob, Newnes, Motlop, Williams with Stocker the sub.
I don't think Hewitt will be fit, i think TDK will make us too tall.
I don't think Setterfield has the urgency required for a finals like intensity. The other blokes have more agro and presence at the contest which we will need vs the pies.

Out: Newnes LOB
IN: Williams Cerra

EMG: Hewitt, TDK, Newnes, LOB.

Reply #141
Acres in, LOB out on the back of that selection, don't agree on him being dropped but glad to see Stocker still in.
Good to see Collingwood taking the game seriously by picking Ginnivan and a kid Macrae in his second game for the season.
Reckon Degoey won't play either...

Reply #142
Would have liked to retain LOB for his hard running and good disposal.
Likewise feel TDK gives more flexibility with his marking around the ground and work when the ball hits the ground.
cheers Ab

Reply #143
Acres in, LOB out on the back of that selection, don't agree on him being dropped but glad to see Stocker still in.
Good to see Collingwood taking the game seriously by picking Ginnivan and a kid Macrae in his second game for the season.
Reckon Degoey won't play either...

This has been O’Brien’s best season by far but he’s still a fringe player.  He has dropped off in his last few games and the errors that marred his game in the past have returned. 

That’s the thing about having some depth; players who don’t perform get to hone their skills in the magoos.

Stocker’s probably lucky to keep his spot but he should be better for the run last week.  He might unsettle a few of the Collingwood forwards; Mihocek and Ginnivan could hear footsteps.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144
TDK very unlucky
Marchy very lucky - his timing has been off. Hopefully it comes together for him but see him as a liability
LOB - has good run and skills but doesn't crack in hard enough for mine and makes too many errors.

Not sure on the merits on fielding four key defenders against four med/small forwards hope we don't live to regret it.

Reply #145
TDK very unlucky
Marchy very lucky - his timing has been off. Hopefully it comes together for him but see him as a liability
LOB - has good run and skills but doesn't crack in hard enough for mine and makes too many errors.

Not sure on the merits on fielding four key defenders against four med/small forwards hope we don't live to regret it.

Marchbank and mcgovern aren't key position players

Cripps is taller than both of them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #147
TDK very unlucky

Four key defenders?

We have two; Weitering and Young, who match up quite well against Mihocek and Cameron/Cox.

McGovern and Marchbank are intercept defenders who can also stand smaller opponents.  They are good match ups for Johnson and McCreery.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #148
Four key defenders?

We have two; Weitering and Young, who match up quite well against Mihocek and Cameron/Cox.

McGovern and Marchbank are intercept defenders who can also stand smaller opponents.  They are good match ups for Johnson and McCreery.

Sorry - but don't agree they are intercept defenders but think it's a little unfair to expect them to have the leg speed and ground ball skills of their opponents. If they kick it long we have it covered ground ball gets depend on too few and the balance looks messy

Reply #149
Mitch mcgovern is listed at 191 cm.

Will Setterfield 192.

Cripps 195.

High marking doesn't equal a key position player.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson