Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 9275 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #120
To me, this week is a big challenge. If we win and make the 8, it all starts again and I believe with healthy mix of some youthful exuberance and free spirited play, we can do some damage irrespective of where the game is played or who the opponent is. Let me tell you, Doc, Crippa and SOS will be on a mission and I pity who gets in their way.
I saw training pics and was heartened to see George up and about. IF he was to come in in week 1 of finals, we would almost have our best side to pick from. As I said, the hurdle is this week, Go Blues.
I think we can win this week but we will have probably have used up our petrol tickets for the finals...maybe an elimination final win would be as good as it gets imo. Like Pinot suggested you dont want to be playing the interstate teams on their home decks and Id like a Melbourne final if the cards fall our way.
Like I have said previously I think Collingwood are ready for a thumping and I expect an early tko and to be well in front at half time....cant wait to see Eddies sulky face as they camera pan to him in the crowd.

Reply #121
I think we can win this week but we will have probably have used up our petrol tickets for the finals...maybe an elimination final win would be as good as it gets imo. Like Pinot suggested you dont want to be playing the interstate teams on their home decks and Id like a Melbourne final if the cards fall our way.
Like I have said previously I think Collingwood are ready for a thumping and I expect an early tko and to be well in front at half time....cant wait to see Eddies sulky face as they camera pan to him in the crowd.
Ill take anyone, anywhere, anytime week 1 of finals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
I'm dreading going this week. Can you imagine the Collingwood fans if they beat us?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #123
Not sure we will beat the Pies considering they will be after atonement after last week's winning streak coming to an end.

I'd expect our players to be smarting after having that one pinched from us last week but I have to wonder how much that loss knocked them about psychologically. Added to that, our players were under the media microscope all week until the Rutten/Clarkson show premiered.

I'm not convinced the Dogs will get over the Hawks either and if they do, it may only be by a small margin so it is not out of the question for our guys to lose this week and still limp into 8th position.

Winning and finishing 7th or 8th by our own hand and then being booted out in Week 1 of the finals VS getting rolled this week and not making it at all is something of a nil-all draw IMO.

Regardless of how it plays out, we have definitely improved this year and I expect an even better showing in 2023. 

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #124
Pies were a bit sick last week, and i doubt they'd be fully fit this week.

That could be all the 'in' we need, given all the injuries we had, it may get us back to somewhat of an even level.

We need good users of the ball in the guts this week.
We have the forwards to put the game beyond doubt, it just depends on the quality of entry they get.
Doesn't have to be much, just has to be good

Reply #125
I'm dreading going this week. Can you imagine the Collingwood fans if they beat us?
I felt the same, my stomach churned for weeks just thinking about it. But on Monday morning I thought "F-it".
Imagine if we win! Worth being there I reckon, Ill give em hell. If we lose, I'll still stay until the end, clap them off, cop the flack and walk out head held high.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #126
Cerra Hewitt Williams TDK all named in 26 man squad
Cerra named in the starting 18
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #127
We have the forwards to put the game beyond doubt, it just depends on the quality of entry they get.
Doesn't have to be much, just has to be good

Yep agree. If we butcher the ball going inside 50 it will play straight into Moore and Howes hands.  Have to make those 2 fully accountable and that only happens if their opponent is hitting the scoreboard.    

Reply #128
Cerra Hewitt Williams TDK all named in 26 man squad
Cerra named in the starting 18

Suspect a few ducks and drakes from us... Hewett was not expected to be available for the remainder of the H & A season.
Guessing our IC for a Sunday game on a Thursday is always a cr@p shoot... but... Setters, LOB, Motlop & Newnes... Williams medi-sub would be my guess, but I wouldn't bet 10c on it, let alone anything more ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #129
Yep agree. If we butcher the ball going inside 50 it will play straight into Moore and Howes hands.  Have to make those 2 fully accountable and that only happens if their opponent is hitting the scoreboard.    

The Fluffy Ducks were really efficient with their forward 50 entries against the Dagpies... and their forward 50 pressure/tackling was manic, just didn't let the Dagpies launch any attacks from defense.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #130
Pick 4 and a sub from that.....assuming Cerra does take his place in the side as he is named in the guts.
[6] Zac Williams,
[29] George Hewett,
[12] Tom De Koning,
[43] Will Setterfield,
[13] Liam Stocker,
[3] Jesse Motlop,
[4] Lochie O'Brien,
[32] Jack Newnes

For mine....
Lob, Newnes, Motlop, Williams with Stocker the sub.
I don't think Hewitt will be fit, i think TDK will make us too tall.
I don't think Setterfield has the urgency required for a finals like intensity. The other blokes have more agro and presence at the contest which we will need vs the pies.

Reply #131
Pick 4 and a sub from that.....assuming Cerra does take his place in the side as he is named in the guts.
[6] Zac Williams,
[29] George Hewett,
[12] Tom De Koning,
[43] Will Setterfield,
[13] Liam Stocker,
[3] Jesse Motlop,
[4] Lochie O'Brien,
[32] Jack Newnes

For mine....
Lob, Newnes, Motlop, Williams with Stocker the sub.
I don't think Hewitt will be fit, i think TDK will make us too tall.
I don't think Setterfield has the urgency required for a finals like intensity. The other blokes have more agro and presence at the contest which we will need vs the pies.
I wouldn't include Williams as being overly intense or reliable at chasing etc but I agree he will play. I think Setterfield, TDK and LOB will be the other bench warmers.
My preference as I have stated a few times is Stocker over Williams but I wouldn't be surprised if Stocker ends up on the trade table if he is dropped again, I hope that's not the case but I can't see him staying if he is continually in and out the team...

Reply #132
Match fitness is going to be a big issue for alot of these lads. With Kennedy out - Setters is in.
A lot of good players in VFL that expect to play AFL constantly Harmes . Tomlison, Bowey, Weideman all played from Melbourne VFL. Stock is in the same type of company and think he will be offered a contract. If he is to leave only Adelaide and West Coast have very average midfields where he is a guaranteed starter and unlikely he will move interstate. He will still get plenty of games with us and the club has developed his flexibility.

Reply #133

My daughter in law, who is a lovely young lady, invited me to watch the game with her in the MCC members.  The only problem with that is that she is a fanatical Collingwood supporter.

We really must win, nothing else is acceptable!

PS My son will sit between me and his wife 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #134
I wouldn't include Williams as being overly intense or reliable at chasing etc but I agree he will play. I think Setterfield, TDK and LOB will be the other bench warmers.
My preference as I have stated a few times is Stocker over Williams but I wouldn't be surprised if Stocker ends up on the trade table if he is dropped again, I hope that's not the case but I can't see him staying if he is continually in and out the team...
Williams isn't overly intense, but he is in competition with Mr Valium himself, Setterfield.

For mine, Williams plays back, Doc spends more time in the middle swapping both in bursts.