Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6100 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
For the avoidance of doubt

Even if he hadn't touched it, he was interfered with in the contest and should have received a free kick.

Reply #47
Yes, top shelf - and that's not a fluke or a one off.
Agreed, he does with monotonous regularity.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Re: the ruck battles and the continuing debate...Gawn dominated the ruck contests imho but didn't do much around the ground .Grundy was ineffective in both roles ruck and forward and I gave TDK the points around the ground over Pittonet.
None of the ruckman could take a mark and the stats showed that and the conditions probably helped us negate Gawns marking and influence as much as anything. TDK vs Pittonet...points to TDK as he was more handy in general play but was he a dominant factor..not for me.
Kicked a goal which was handy given the score line but in terms of being a 600-800k a year messiah ruckman he isn't there for me yet.
@LP...Yep..I don't like over paying for players, cars, houses, coffees or anything and we have had a lot of overpaid underperforming players some of which are starting to give a return and so they should. They don't deserve special praise because it's over due and they have been carried by some of our hard working understated players for a while.
The question I have is can TDK carry the ruck load without Pittonet having to do the grunt work to make his life easier?
Re: Jack....reckon he would have enjoyed the conditions last night and been a handy player and would have got the same amount of hitouts as the other ruck bar Gawn plus been handy forward.
I want Jack back for the finals and Charlie will need help if Harry doesn't get up fitness wise because teams will now hunt us and Charlie will be targeted more and I don't think TDK is the answer down forward..

Reply #49
My daughter was talking about the footy on Friday and kept hinting she barracks for the blues now even though she was a cat i think because we lived in Geelong for a few years. Maybe we should go to a game one day dad she said. I upgraded my ticket and bought her one on the ground level behind the goals and just behind the cheer squad. Got her a Carlton puffer jacket on the way in to the ground and I'm pretty confident she'll still be wearing it in the middle of summer. Last night was her first ever live footy experience. Boy oh boy does she love the footy now. And very much does she love Charlie. What an introduction! That was epic. The best thing of all she could not get over the atmosphere and how amazing the blues supporters are, she already feels part of the baggers family. Wowee.

Reply #50
My daughter was talking about the footy on Friday and kept hinting she barracks for the blues now even though she was a cat i think because we lived in Geelong for a few years. Maybe we should go to a game one day dad she said. I upgraded my ticket and bought her one on the ground level behind the goals and just behind the cheer squad. Got her a Carlton puffer jacket on the way in to the ground and I'm pretty confident she'll still be wearing it in the middle of summer. Last night was her first ever live footy experience. Boy oh boy does she love the footy now. And very much does she love Charlie. What an introduction! That was epic. The best thing of all she could not get over the atmosphere and how amazing the blues supporters are, she already feels part of the baggers family. Wowee.
When Carlton are winning like this (or just winning), there is nothing better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
One final point on the Marchbank touch. He should have been given a free kick as Van Rooyan interferes with him in the marking contest.

Reply #52
There will always be injuries in footy. For whatever reason though, we've had more than most teams for the last decade. Right now we had 8 players who play regularly in the stands. For me, that's the most exciting part of this crazy journey. We're beating premiership favourites with all that talent waiting to return. We have very few on the cusp of retirement. There you have the makings of sustainable success.

Just one more win and you know the rest.

Go Blues

Replay is up. Super Sunday viewing Bluebaggers. Enjoy ☕️
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #53
She was referring to the kick to Charlie.
My apologies to Daisy then, I thought she was discussing the kick from Charlie to Owies.

PS; Actually the kick from Hewett to Charlie around the body was pretty much perfect as well, gave Joel Smith zero chance, how Smith ended up on Charlie at that stage is a mystery that Goodwin must answer. TDK led May up the field, Lever ended up on Fogarty! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
One final point on the Marchbank touch. He should have been given a free kick as Van Rooyan interferes with him in the marking contest.
Absolutely. Nor was van Rooyen alone. That should have been a free and no score.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
It's fantasy for fans to think SoJ can positively impact momentum in the ruck against Gawn and Grundy the way TDK did last night. No dodgy Stats or dodgy use of Stats will change anyone's mind about that, especially not a Stat as dodgy and subjective as HtA!

Just an objective 14 contested possessions, dare I say it most of them momentum changing follow up 2nd efforts to a ruck contest that set Cripps, Dow or Hewitt free when it really mattered. ;D
Oh the irony.

For someone who complains about the hitout to advantage stat so much, you highlighting the contested possessions stat while completely ignoring the DE% stat at least shows you are true to form.

Kruddler: What good is a hitout if it it goes to a 50-50 contest or turn it over?
Kruddler: What good is a contested possession if it goes to a 50-50 or turn it over?

Its great TDK got so many contested possessions. Now if only he could find a teammate with them. Like his ruckwork, its basically useless. It helps the opposition as much as it helps us....so why are we celebrating it? 47.1% DE, that means over half of his possessions did not advantage us at all.

Add in the numerous dropped marks throughout, especially at the death, 3:20 to go, 1:20 to go (i think) and he let slip 2 opportunities to win us the game. The first cost us a shot on goal. The second allowed them to get the ball I50.

@Kruddler your anti-TDK rants are just becoming largely irrational, and if readers bother to follow up your claims by looking at the objective stats you might actually hurt Pitto because they might not understand the role Pitto brings not measured by a stat, or worse still they might believe the dud commentary from the likes of Barrett or Negropontis.
Again, i've said this more times than TDK has played games. I'm not against him. I'm against his output He underdelivers.
People notice him because he is tall, blonde and can leap small buildings.....but he doesn't impact the game nearly as much as he should. You and the commentators can continue to fawn over him, but he hasn't lived up to the hype yet.

Objective stats? What stats did i hide? Contested possessions are not objective??? BS

Reply #56
Same with Port. We are on 50, Port 56.

Port have to lose 3 games.
Dees only have to lose 2

Reply #57
Kemp, Cincotta & Hollands .................... sensational.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #58
TDK drops way too many marks at crucial points in a match, some of them uncontested too. If he can't fix that problem in his game and quickly, then he is a huge liability and waste of time.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #59
De Koning definitely drops marks, but IMO it's a very fixable problem. He needs to spend the off season really working on that aspect of his game.