Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 1st Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne Post Game Prognostications (Read 27719 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 1st Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne Post Game Prognostications

Reply #165
Lions are heavy favourites.

Hopefully they let it go to their heads and our boys do what they do and grind out a contest and get our noses in front at the final siren

Reply #166
Clarrie Oliver has gone up in my estimation.  He could have drawn Crippa’s bleeding nose to an umpire’s attention and got him sent off under the blood rule.  Instead, he alerted Crippa to his nose bleed and that enabled him to wipe the blood away and stay on the park and in the contest.

Analysis of the game has been done to death now and there’s general consensus that we won because Melbourne’s team selection was flawed, their tactics and coaching were poor, and the team was Ill-disciplined.  Nothing about poor kicking for goal.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #167
Nothing about poor kicking for goal.
I don't think the goal kicking impacted the result, it's easy to make that claim but fans forget after every behind you get the opportunity to lock the footy in your F50 and if you don't you can't complain about the miss.

Making claims about the overall result based on behinds is flawed.

Despite Melbourne making lots of F50 entries we routinely took the footy beyond the wing even though Gawn was camped behind the ball, he just can't be everywhere and where he wasn't we either had TDK or Charlie competing and I thought we did OK at stopping the Melbourne turnovers from hurting us. I think Melbourne made two mistakes, only playing Gawn against TDK and Pitto was the first, and the second was leaving McDonald deep in F50 when he could have been further up the ground. Maybe McDonald wasn't match fit enough and that compounded the problems. The net result was May and Lever had to get further out of our F50 than was comfortable for them and they failed several times to get back, it was a structural flaw.

In those final minutes, when we saw McGovern, Kemp, Acres and TDK deep in our F50, according to Doc on 360 that was a drill, so it seems in that moment Voss outcoached Goodwin. You have to win finals, and Voss placed a winning bet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168
We had more scoring shots against Collingwood when we lost to them this year.

Collingwood had more scoring shots than us when we beat them last time out.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #169
So many times in the past decade we've had games in which we bombed the ball to the goal square form +60m out only to see it rushed over the line and carried away to the other end, something we complained about over and over again as a losing tactic, our fans should be cognisant of that when they discuss goals and behinds.

Then go back and watch Melbourne repeatedly bombing the ball to the top of the square for Gawn, Smith, McDonald, Pickett or all four to launch against each other, and compare that to our last 90s of the game!

Think about our early season, when Charlie, Harry and SoJ flew against each other, the continual calls for them to create space!

Surely the analogy is strong enough for fans to understand.

Goals to Behinds is more often than not largely irrelevant, it's how it happens that matters.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #170

Incredible! From here on in, there's no pressure on us. At all. The expectations, starting last night, were on Melbourne, who most tipped to win. Now a first preliminary final since 2000! OMG!
To some comments on some players now. Walsh, you legend. How your absence has been noticed this year. Splendid to have you back champ. Stood up and stood out in only his second final, set the ground on fire. Next captain in waiting material.
Acres, thank you mate. An absolute keeper, not just recycled junkyard trash filling in a spot. Runs hard everywhere and once again, won the match! One thing I'll say is, breathe mate, don't rush the thing in the dying stages. The game could still have been stolen back off us. Perhaps he was more comfortable with instinct and not overthinking set shot goals. Hmm.
Docherty. Heart and soul champion. Courageous stuff to play on with that shoulder. So unlucky with those injury problems. Provided dash and long, direct kicking and metres gained play.
Motlop. You little beauty mate. Tackling, chasing and two very important, clever goals. He belongs in the 22. Growth still to come. What a time to play that sort of a game.
Newman. The everywhere man. A finals-hardened player. Has been a little bit off with some clangers this finals series, but can't fault his effort and ability to find and win the ball, both in the clinches and in the spaces.
McGovern. I don't recall who he was on, but won more than his share of the ball and had an overwhelming kick-to-handball ratio. Why not either? A trusty kicker, kicked out almost entirely after their 17 behinds and seemed faultless at it. He was also in the contest when Acres took the match winning mark and goal. He will get his turn too, he knows where the goals are.
TDK. Good lord. What a player he is becoming. When he hangs on to his marks, he can fly and take some speccies. Took them all around the ground. He was an excellent and important presence forward. Those two marks and two goals from set shots, he provided a foil for the Melbourne defence and took pressure off Charlie, who was soundly beaten by May. He was a forward as a junior too and I reckon this is the start of a presence we'll see down there. He'll improve as a forward, just as much as a ruck. More to come. Very well done to nail those set shots.
Pittonet. Gave Gawn a real headache as a defensive ruck running with him.

(This was the review I wrote, I found it in my draft post section)!

Reply #171
It's worth reliving the last two minutes as seen by different commentators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqFmbHWCbw
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #172
Pleased to see Luke Darcy actually chuffed by the way that unfolded.  I get the idea he was just happy with the way that played out and would have the same look on his face irrespective of what happened.

We know he isnt a blues fan generally, so perhaps he just dislikes Melbourne more.

Reckon Dunstall is a bit harsh on Jack Viney there.  Its not as if that play was wide open and he had plenty of options, and he scrubbed the kick.   Talking about inches, from what I saw, all he had to do was get it over Weiters, and they probably would have gone on to win the game from there.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #173
Pleased to see Luke Darcy actually chuffed by the way that unfolded.  I get the idea he was just happy with the way that played out and would have the same look on his face irrespective of what happened.

We know he isnt a blues fan generally, so perhaps he just dislikes Melbourne more.

Reckon Dunstall is a bit harsh on Jack Viney there.  Its not as if that play was wide open and he had plenty of options, and he scrubbed the kick.   Talking about inches, from what I saw, all he had to do was get it over Weiters, and they probably would have gone on to win the game from there.

I think that the anti-Carlton bias attributed to Darcy and other commentators is largely a supporters’ concoction.  Most commentators love the game and appreciate good footy regardless of which teams are involved.

For example:

"Channel 7 commentator Luke Darcy has irked some neutral AFL fans after being accused of hyping up Carlton during commentary amid the Lions' remarkable comeback win. The Blues kicked the preliminary final's opening five goals to shock the Gabba faithful in the first quarter but managed just four more in an 11.13 (79) to 9.9 (63) Lions win.

Collingwood await the Lions at the MCG next Saturday in a battle of the regular season's top two teams. However, viewers watching the Channel 7 broadcast became incensed after accusing commentator Darcy of 'barracking' for the Melbourne-based club."

Reply #174
I think that the anti-Carlton bias attributed to Darcy and other commentators is largely a supporters’ concoction.  Most commentators love the game and appreciate good footy regardless of which teams are involved.

Tend to agree.
Except BT ;)
But the feeling is mutual. :D

Cornes just does it to get a rise.

Reply #175
Tend to agree.
Except BT ;)
But the feeling is mutual. :D

Cornes just does it to get a rise.

Cornes is OK when he’s serious.  I think it depends on who he’s working with.

BT adopts another persona when he picks up a microphone; Mr Hyde!

There is a compilation of different broadcasters describing the last two minutes but I can’t find it.  Andy Maher was hysterical - literally.  Daisy’s reaction was uninhabited too 🙂

Reply #176
I'm not sure if it's safe to attribute the behaviour in the moment with other agendas, one set of events are based on reflex while the other behaviours are a long term tactic.

It's a bit like claiming the AFL do not view Soccer as a competitor just because there is footage of Gloc going ape watching the Matildas!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #177
Worth reliving ... again   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sjFBx93vfo