Skip to main content
Topic: Fixture 2024 (Read 19363 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Fixture 2024

Reply #1
Toughest game in football first up.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Don't mind it - our fixture is going to be tougher this coming season than last season so lets get stuck into it.

Reply #3
Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime.  #FLAGGERS2024
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I could grumble about the AFL messing around with the fixture but what's the point?  We still have the first match of Round 1, it's just not the season opener anymore  ::)

We will have a tougher fixture next season but, if I had a choice about when to play Brisbane away, the first game is probably our best opportunity to get a win.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Farken joke! We are one the biggest clubs in the land with almost 100K members and we have to go to crapsville to play the Bears rnd one. I couldn't give a toss about opening the season, but to schedule us interstate rnd one is a slap in the face to us members.
Here's a thought for rnd 1:
Thurs Night Bris v GC
Frid Night Syd v GWS
Sat Day early WC v Freo  early arvo Melb time Coll v Ess
Sat Night Carl v Rich
Sun Day PA v Ade, StKilda v Melb
Sun Night Geel v Haw
Monday Night NM v Foots
Rotate the opener around every year, everyplays at home in front of their fans.
Its not that farken hard AFL you imbeciles.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Carlton will head to Brisbane in 2024’s Opening Round, as confirmed by the AFL this morning.

In a league first, Carlton will be one of four Victorian teams heading to the northern states for Opening Round, with the Blues’ preliminary final rematch against the Lions to take place on Friday 8 March from 6:50pm local time (7:50pm AEDT).

It has also been confirmed that the Blues will kick off proceedings in Melbourne the following week in Round 1 when hosting the traditional clash with the Tigers.
::)  :-\  ???
When is an 'opening' round not round 1 ?

Reply #7
Farken joke! We are one the biggest clubs in the land with almost 100K members and we have to go to crapsville to play the Bears rnd one. I couldn't give a toss about opening the season, but to schedule us interstate rnd one is a slap in the face to us members.
Thurs Night Bris v GC
Frid Night Syd v GWS
Sat Night Carl v Rich
Sun Night Geel v Haw
Monday Night NM v Foots

I was thinking along the same lines G2C, every team playing in their home state would be a great way to start the season.

We don’t need gimmicks to boost crowds or TV audiences, just evenly matched teams, consistent umpiring and knowledgeable, calm commentators.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
I was thinking along the same lines G2C, every team playing in their home state would be a great way to start the season.

We don’t need gimmicks to boost crowds or TV audiences, just evenly matched teams, consistent umpiring and knowledgeable, calm commentators.
its utter garbage mate. Lets be clear, Im all for “anyone, anytime, anywhere”but round 1 is all about fans wanting their game back after 6mnths of trading, drafting and preseasons. I just forked out over 3k for membership and cant
Use it for the first game (without forking out another 2 to 3k for tickets,flights and accom). Absolutely atrocious scheduling by the AFL.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
its utter garbage mate. Lets be clear, Im all for “anyone, anytime, anywhere”but round 1 is all about fans wanting their game back after 6mnths of trading, drafting and preseasons. I just forked out over 3k for membership and cant
Use it for the first game (without forking out another 2 to 3k for tickets,flights and accom). Absolutely atrocious scheduling by the AFL.

I love your scheduling GIC.
It makes great sense...

But just to play devil's advocate for a bit....

Any Carlton member/ supporter would be upset, especially if they had forked out a substantial amount in terms of money.
Queensland is arguably the  major battleground for the AFL at present.
So if it comes down to what's best for the Queensland supporter as opposed to the Victorian supporter then it's probably going to favour the northern supporter.

So what's the best way to make them happy.
A home ground, opening match against a major club.
It was basically us or Collingwood.
The scheduling was all over the QLD news services yesterday
Brisbane v Carlton at home...a great start to the season.
Great publicity.
As it is, if anyone has attended a Carlton v Brisbane or GC game in Qld they'd know there is huge local Carlton support there anyway.

The Carlton supporter has suffered for three reasons....
-Our 2023 success
-We showed that we're prepared to travel.
-Strong Carlton support in S.E. Queensland.

It may not be fair to the Carlton folk, but it makes sense from an AFL expansion point of view.

Reply #10
Thurs Night Bris v GC
Frid Night Syd v GWS
Sat Night Carl v Rich
Sun Night Geel v Haw
Monday Night NM v Foots

Great schedule, GTC old son, especially for those who attend games. However... the AFL has a major consideration - TV / streaming audience numbers (ratings) and giving advertisers bang for their buck.

Your Thur and Fri schedule would be terrific for local fans but the TV / streaming audience nationally (particularly Vic, SA & WA) would be a few goats, the odd ferret and easily amused crickets - a ratings disaster.

Unfortunately, the commercial reality is TV / streaming ratings are king for the AFL.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
Great schedule, GTC old son, especially for those who attend games. However... the AFL has a major consideration - TV / streaming audience numbers (ratings) and giving advertisers bang for their buck.

Your Thur and Fri schedule would be terrific for local fans but the TV / streaming audience nationally (particularly Vic, SA & WA) would be a few goats, the odd ferret and easily amused crickets - a ratings disaster.

Unfortunately, the commercial reality is TV / streaming ratings are king for the AFL.

And that may have  factored into the Carlton v Brisbane game.
Some will make the trip
Most won't...and won't that be a huge Carlton viewing audience for the opening game.

Reply #12
Getting the toughest game of football out of the way round 1 is not a bad thing from a team point of view.

Especially if we win it.

Reply #13
The AFL is all about marketing and not about the fans, it is not about the football and certainly not about the players. The Club's attitude of just turning up and playing whoever and  wherever is the right one because there is no point complaining. The AFL doesn't care.

Reply #14
::)  :-\  ???
When is an 'opening' round not round 1 ?

There was a funny video doing the rounds about this.....trying to find it, but its so hard with the plethora of 'comedians' out there today on social media.

https://www.tiktok.com/@typemedia/video/7301502485062094082