Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2024 Rd 4 Carlton vs Port Melbourne at Carlton (Read 1617 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2024 Rd 4 Carlton vs Port Melbourne at Carlton

Reply #15
Lemmey looks a better player down back and maybe a chance to make a Key defender, won the ball well and used it ok for a big fella although his opponent from the WAFL who has a famous VFA name in Jimmy Miller had a decent game too. The other player who looks a class above most is Moir, dont reckon he will ever play too many four quarter games but everything he does is classy even when he tackles(laid a great one in the last quarter) and he knows where the goals are and plays with a bit of maturity.
Binns can hit a target and runs hard, but lacks a bit of physicality when tackling and also can hang back a bit when he needs to be attacking the ball. Cincotta was ok without being great and both Okeefe and Mirkov lowered their colours to the Port ruckman(Flockhart?) who was impressive.
Xavier Maher was BOG but for me remains a good VFL player only....

Calista got a fair bit of the ball but he and Miller were thumped in the ruck by O'Keeffe and Mirkov even if our midfielders couldn't capitalise.  But, a good ruckman needs to do more than just win the hitouts and our two need to improve their marking, linking up, positioning and being a presence around the ground.  Flockhart looked to have done his knee but came back on and picked up where he left off.  Miller did a good job of the key forward second ruck role.

I wonder if Lemmey is playing back while Sam Durdin is out (suspended?) or if it's the direction his career is now headed.  If he can play CHF with the same energy and application that he's showing at CHB, he could be a genuine key forward option.  Perhaps he's just one of the many key forwards who play better footy in defence.

We didn't have that many AFL listed players out there, but I think that Moir showed the most potential.  He works hard off the ball he will be rewarded for that.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Calista got a fair bit of the ball but he and Miller were thumped in the ruck by O'Keeffe and Mirkov even if our midfielders couldn't capitalise.  But, a good ruckman needs to do more than just win the hitouts and our two need to improve their marking, linking up, positioning and being a presence around the ground.  Flockhart looked to have done his knee but came back on and picked up where he left off.  Miller did a good job of the key forward second ruck role.

I wonder if Lemmey is playing back while Sam Durdin is out (suspended?) or if it's the direction his career is now headed.  If he can play CHF with the same energy and application that he's showing at CHB, he could be a genuine key forward option.  Perhaps he's just one of the many key forwards who play better footy in defence.

We didn't have that many AFL listed players out there, but I think that Moir showed the most potential.  He works hard off the ball he will be rewarded for that.

Id persist with Lemmey at CHB in the VFL.....and Id be looking to give Moir a senior game or two sooner than later as the sub initially. Lemmeys blonde mate down back in Lewis also played an ok game and looks a solid player.
Not sure Id be keeping Mirkov or OKeefe.....

Reply #17
Showing your age Jim😉🤐...yep Frosty Miller did play for the Blues and went on to be a star VFA player for Dandenong and has the goalkicking award in the VFL named after himself. Left footer from memory who kicked torps and along with his little leftie mate Pat Flaherty made my life as a Preston supporter miserable as a kid...

They did, especially in 1971! I was a Preston supporter too.

Frosty had a couple of bags of 5+ for the Blues.

Reply #18
I am a big rap for having 200cm key defenders. Robert Walls always said key defenders are gold. I also like the look of Moir.

Reply #19
Id persist with Lemmey at CHB in the VFL.....and Id be looking to give Moir a senior game or two sooner than later as the sub initially. Lemmeys blonde mate down back in Lewis also played an ok game and looks a solid player.
Mirkov I agree is a delist. OKeefe has something I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20

I think the Mirkov experiment is coming to an end but O’Keeffe is worth persevering with.  His last VFL game was very good and he can pinch hit as a key forward.

I wouldn’t be rushing Moir into the seniors but I’m sure he’ll be demanding a game before the season’s out.  He did OK in the pre-season games and should adjust to the tempo without too many problems.  He has been a bit wasteful with his kicking for goal so let’s hope he gets his radar aligned.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Very nice to have our first win for the season!

[1] Disappointed that Tyson Sruk didn't play. he was named but ... If we're trying to hide him, then we've been so successful that I have no idea if he can play or not.
Same can be said of Ferronato, but he is, at least, playing. 10 possessions, 4 clearances, 4 tackles. I wouldn't be selecting him from what I've seen.

[2] Zavier Maher played his best game in our colours. 34 possessions, 6 marks, 5 clearances, 2 tackles. Not sure if he can go all the way, but I am very happy to see him play like this.
With so few AFL listed guys available, he stepped up and played as our #1 mid.

[3] Binns had a good second half. he was quiet early, but ended up with 27 possessions. 8 clearances and 3 tackles. Binns is doing more of a midfield job this year, not just running up and down the wing.

[4] Lemmey developing nicely as a key defender. he shows a lot more passion and desire in defence.

[5] Jess Gedi played his first game for us today. 16 possessions, but 8 tackles. Not bad for a debut.

[6] Alex Mirkov is very much a work in progress. In the centre square he dominated. Not so effective at ball ups around the ground, but he is coming from a long way back. It will be quite a while before he gets full strength back, not to mention the tank to run out a game.
Hudson O'Keefe was also good in the ruck, but he needs another 10 kg of muscle on him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
Showing your age Jim😉🤐...yep Frosty Miller did play for the Blues and went on to be a star VFA player for Dandenong and has the goalkicking award in the VFL named after himself. Left footer from memory who kicked torps and along with his little leftie mate Pat Flaherty made my life as a Preston supporter miserable as a kid...

Was a Dandenong support even though I lived in the Northern Suburbs near the Preston ground. They were the good old days, VFL on a Saturday and the VFA on Sundays.

Reply #23
Was a Dandenong support even though I lived in the Northern Suburbs near the Preston ground. They were the good old days, VFL on a Saturday and the VFA on Sundays.
Yep, great old days tuned to Channel 10, just remember Port Melbourne winning everything and the late Fred Cook kicking bags of goals. Was a great era for Full forwards who regularly kicked 100 plus goals....

Reply #24

Princes Park on the Saturday for me (when I wasn’t running around in the Ammos), then Coburg City Oval on the Sunday. Coburg vs Preston games were always special regardless of how each team was going.

Reply #25
Ash Moir had a good game - but needs another 2-3 before call up imo.

Binns just has to get a game. He is too good for VFL.

Reply #26
I think the Mirkov experiment is coming to an end but O’Keeffe is worth persevering with.  His last VFL game was very good and he can pinch hit as a key forward.

I wouldn’t be rushing Moir into the seniors but I’m sure he’ll be demanding a game before the season’s out.  He did OK in the pre-season games and should adjust to the tempo without too many problems.  He has been a bit wasteful with his kicking for goal so let’s hope he gets his radar aligned.

I'd keep my powder dry re the Mirk. Ticker surgery and before that goodness only knows how much the crook ticker was affecting his game. Let's see how he progresses.

Like Mr O'Keefe... coming along nicely.

Moir's first goal was like he was a natural left footer, and the next goal, like he was a natural right footer. His defensive game is coming along well, also. Obviously a focus. Reckon we might see him a little sooner than some may expect.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Moir's first goal was like he was a natural left footer, and the next goal, like he was a natural right footer. His defensive game is coming along well, also. Obviously a focus. Reckon we might see him a little sooner than some may expect.
Possible, but he's still pretty patchy over four quarters, a bit like Motlop has been.

I think while the team is strong there is absolutely no reason to rush guys in, I don't think we did Motlop or the team many favours playing him so early.

We need to be more like the Handbaggers, and have them cherry ripe for when they get the opportunity and having an impact rather than clinging to a spot by the bare minimums.
The Force Awakens!