Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38386 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #225
Make up your mind, do you support or oppose the wearing of long sleeve jumpers in the wet?
Are the jumpers heavier or lighter... ?
The original opinion offered was that the players wearing long sleeves were inadequate...

I was debating with Lods jumpers now versus back then, you need to read a whole thread before you comment.

The idea posted earlier that jumpers are a tell about a player's intent is rubbish, step in SOS or Hunter!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #226
Interesting interview with Max Gawn...

""Kreuzer's played one of the best games against me. That scares me. I've always wanted to get one back on him. I rate Kreuzer as the number 1 guy to play."

Max Gawn with some high praise for a Blue #RSNBreakfastClub"

That's because taps mean nothing.

Some of the media had Gawn BoG, but the coaches only gave him 2 votes for 44 taps, they had Melksham BoG with 10 votes, followed by McDonald with 8.

We need to have a crack at getting McDonald out of Melbourne.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #227
Interesting interview with Max Gawn...

""Kreuzer's played one of the best games against me. That scares me. I've always wanted to get one back on him. I rate Kreuzer as the number 1 guy to play."

Max Gawn with some high praise for a Blue #RSNBreakfastClub"
I would guess most ruckman in the comp would say that about playing against Kruze. Its because he cracks in all day be it in the air or on the ground. He gives 110% all day everyday. Its why I love it when the big Tractor is up and going. He and Crippa are our heartbeat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #228
That's because taps mean nothing.

Some of the media had Gawn BoG, but the coaches only gave him 2 votes for 44 taps, they had Melksham BoG with 10 votes, followed by McDonald with 8.

We need to have a crack at getting McDonald out of Melbourne.

No. we need to get more quality and experience into the midfield.

Think Shiel, Hopper, Sloane, Wines, Kelly, Gaff. Two of them.

Then Doc back up and running!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #229
I would guess most ruckman in the comp would say that about playing against Kruze. Its because he cracks in all day be it in the air or on the ground. He gives 110% all day everyday. Its why I love it when the big Tractor is up and going. He and Crippa are our heartbeat.

It's because he is so mobile, and his 2nd or 3rd efforts are relentless and instantaneous. They get no break against him, ruck SpecialK with Phillips or Lobbe against Gawn and we'd win far more clearances because Gawn would get no respite. They are flat out keeping up with Kreuzer, and won't easily defeat Phillips.

It's no different to Wet Toast rucking Naitanui and Lycett, after their recent success against Nthmond you'll find more clubs doing this.

Solo rucks are a weak point that can be exploited, we know that from good experience.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #230
It's because he is so mobile, and his 2nd or 3rd efforts are relentless and instantaneous. They get no break against him, ruck SpecialK with Phillips or Lobbe against Gawn and we'd win far more clearances because Gawn would get no respite. They are flat out keeping up with Kreuzer, and won't easily defeat Phillips.

It's no different to Wet Toast rucking Naitanui and Lycett, after their recent success against Nthmond you'll find more clubs doing this.

Solo rucks are a weak point that can be exploited, we know that from good experience.

Recent GF winners Richmond would argue they went with Nankervis and Grigg as their ruckman.......Bulldogs went with Roughead and a inexperienced very part time backup in Boyd...its what suits your gameplan IMO and there is no one size fits all approach. Kreuzer does best when he rucks 90% of the day and the 10% remaining can be filled in by Casboult, Harry Mckay, Rowe etc....
Some days you do need two rucks, say vs WC or a monster like Sandilands....but not all the time and its important not to be stuck with a player who can only ruck and has to be benched when not rucking.

Reply #231
Recent GF winners Richmond would argue they went with Nankervis and Grigg as their ruckman.......Bulldogs went with Roughead and a inexperienced very part time backup in Boyd...its what suits your gameplan IMO and there is no one size fits all approach. Kreuzer does best when he rucks 90% of the day and the 10% remaining can be filled in by Casboult, Harry Mckay, Rowe etc....
Some days you do need two rucks, say vs WC or a monster like Sandilands....but not all the time and its important not to be stuck with a player who can only ruck and has to be benched when not rucking.

If a solo ruck goes down in the opening minutes of a GF, that team probably lose.

In respect of Grigg, good luck if he finds himself alone in the midfield early in a game against Naitanui and Lycett, Kreuzer and Phillips, Lynch and Wright, Boyd and Roughead, Keefe and Lobb, etc., etc..

Kreuzer does best when he has 90% ToG, rucking or not, if you bench him you take away his biggest weapon which is his aerobic capacity, you have to force his physically matched opponent to stay on the ground with him and not have him anchored in a pocket where the opponent can rest.

The biggest problem I have with Casboult offering chop-outs is that it's like a holiday for the opposition, he has little physical impact on the opponent because he doesn't make them work hard enough! It's probably being made to work hard that has Gawn rating Kreuzer so highly.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #232

Gawn's 208cm from memory, Kreuz 200cm.....big difference.

Like Plowman rucking against Kreuzer.

LKreuzer struggles against the really tall guys, who wouldn't!

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #233

Problem is that we are alot worse when we have 2 rucks. Proven time and again, something we also know from bad experience Takes away Kreuzer's best asset as it is often replaced by Phillips inability to get much of the ball. Very few clubs go down that path in the modern game. Richmond won a flag with Nankervis and Grigg. Casboult does a decent job when he takes his turn. Besides giving him confidence running around the ground his taps stats to advantage this year are surprisingly good. It's been proven time and again we are better off with Kreuzer/Casboult then Kreuzer/Phillips. That's why we went that way. Think is was way more than Nic Nat and Lycett that was the reason for the big win. Bet that's not repeated come finals.

Reply #234
Gawn's 208cm from memory, Kreuz 200cm.....big difference.

Like Plowman rucking against Kreuzer.

LKreuzer struggles against the really tall guys, who wouldn't!

I'd like to see Jones 198 with a good leap (and chaos factor ;D) doing a bit of relief rucking.

Reply #235
Your backup ruckman must essentially be a forward, one who knows leading patterns, where those up field are going to place the ball, how to work in tandem with the other tall forward etc.  Unfortunate, Phillips doesn't offer that. He's a ruckman who can rest up forward....waste of space. Work with Harry to eventually take over the "Daniher" role of 5 - 8 mins per quarter in the ruck.  While Harry is learning, use The Bolt.

Reply #236

Never a reason for two ruckmen. We're worse off no matter how it's put. Just puts an unnecessary big bloke on the ground that we don't need. Only play two rucks if they can do something up forward and around the ground otherwise they are a total waste when not rucking. Slows us up too much and takes away Kreuzer's best asset. Still win clearances, as we did easily against Essendon, despite a big tapout deficit.

Reply #237
I'd like to see Jones 198 with a good leap (and chaos factor ;D) doing a bit of relief rucking.

I'm surprised we haven't tried that the last two weeks.

Reply #238
If a solo ruck goes down in the opening minutes of a GF, that team probably lose.

In respect of Grigg, good luck if he finds himself alone in the midfield early in a game against Naitanui and Lycett, Kreuzer and Phillips, Lynch and Wright, Boyd and Roughead, Keefe and Lobb, etc., etc..

Kreuzer does best when he has 90% ToG, rucking or not, if you bench him you take away his biggest weapon which is his aerobic capacity, you have to force his physically matched opponent to stay on the ground with him and not have him anchored in a pocket where the opponent can rest.

The biggest problem I have with Casboult offering chop-outs is that it's like a holiday for the opposition, he has little physical impact on the opponent because he doesn't make them work hard enough! It's probably being made to work hard that has Gawn rating Kreuzer so highly.

I reckon Grigg cpould've rucked all day in the GF and Richmond would've smashed Adelaide. You just rove to the opposition and make sure the opposition kids don't get a clear run at it.

Reply #239
I reckon Grigg cpould've rucked all day in the GF and Richmond would've smashed Adelaide. You just rove to the opposition and make sure the opposition kids don't get a clear run at it.

You could but you'd be crazy.

In the GF I believe Nankervis bettered Grigg in 19 out of the 23 categories of stats collected by CD, including stuff Grigg should dominate like I50, CP, MK and CM.

Grigg clearly got him one though, Clangers!

You can sort through them here, AFL Tables
The Force Awakens!