Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 4405 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #60
Watching the practice match in Tassy. Next week will be the battle of our poor small forwards verses  the roos terrible small forwards...

Cats doing it easy in second gear. I don't think we will have that luxury.

You just know that the roos will all lift against us.

My 5 cents

Outs - Pitt, Harry  (inj), Fisher,  setterfield, cottrell and Newnes...

Ins - JSOS, Kennedy, Stocker, Dow and any small fwd who will have e a crack...

Reply #61
I didn’t think we’d win against this in form side. Freo have a fairly stable balanced outfit. From head coach and game plan to rookies. They have a cohesion that fosters confidence. Add the home game advantage and they’re hard to beat.

That said I’m a true Blue, so held hope of an upset. Now I’m reflecting on what we can gain from the loss and believe that not all is lost.

Given our respective injuries/list make up, the experimentation for spots under new coaches, and the incremental layering of a new game plan, I think we’re tracking ok. I’m under no illusion to think we’re ready for the big dance. Injuries permitting (see injuries for Freo, Crows, Lions, GC), I expect we make finals.

The list refinement will be well informed and hopefully we’ll add those couple of missing pieces. The pieces needed to beat the best.

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #62
Agree, Blues will need to play Mirkov (ready or not) with Pito unavailable.  Yes "sink or swim", but judging by reports he may do well and at least have us competitive when rucking.
We are unlikely to win many matches with a 18 to 50 hit out ratio, like last night!

cheers. Ab

Reply #63
While Pittonet was on the ground we seemed to be on top. Freo were really at us from the start but we seemed to be able to absorb what they were dishing out. Lose Pittonet, and they start getting cleaner first use of the ball and clearly got on top of us. Darcy gets injured and the game became a lot more even. Their big guys are big. As I said last week, I would like to have small forwards who kick goals. Boyd, Parks, Newman, Cottrell and Newnes always give you a contest, Boyd smothering the ball in the last quarter is an example of this, but we are not going to win a flag with them. Good back up players but you can't have two many of them in the one side against good teams. Fisher seems out of touch. He needs to stop thinking and just start doing. Young looks really good. I was impressed by him against Port. I would like to see Dow, Stocker Kennedy and Silvagni in the side next week, while also looking at Kemp, Carroll, Motlop and Philp. I wouldn't mind a McGovern, McDonald or a Marchbank in the side down back.
Things haven't changed that much from last year, we just have a few more good players. Injuries will determine how we go. However, as I have said many times over the years, if you can't kick the ball to your team mates, you do not have a game plan.

Reply #64
Not knocking the kid but can anyone explain the logic behind using a half back flanker as the sub?

Reply #65
Not knocking the kid but can anyone explain the logic behind using a half back flanker as the sub?
Hard one to explain. I would have thought we had that area covered better than most.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #66
Hard one to explain. I would have thought we had that area covered better than most.
ive only got one theory and sadly it says more about what the others aren't doing rather than what he is.

I suspect boyd is doing his utmost to play, and really putting his hand up for selection on the training track.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
I made comment in a post-match thread a couple of weeks ago regarding the spuddage we keep giving senior game time to. Last night, it was the same second tier rejects that let us down again. I also said pre-match that if we were to lose, its all about the context of the loss. We were horrible in so many ways that the context was ripped away and the poor decision-making & lack of talent was on display for all to see.

Setterfield - spare me .... he is a liability
Newnes - saw him run past an opposition many times, in other words, ran away from the contest
Boyd - he crapped his dacks more than once and then gave away a 50m penalty by trying to be a faux toughman
Parks - what has this guy done to warrant selection anyway ??
Cottrell - first rule of football, you need to be able to kick to play the game, why then does he get selected ??
Martin - took some angry pills early, snapped a nice goal and then fluffed a set-shot soda, over-priced dud     
Newman - I have been a supporter of his but time has run out now
Fisher - not good enough for long enough
Owies - crapped his pants and dropped a regulation chest mark, this is the AFL you know !!
Durdin - where were you all night ..... you are better than that crapful effort

Philp, Stocker, Carroll, Kemp,  .... any of them would be better options than the charlatans we have masquerading as footballers out there right now.

What did O'Brien do wrong to get dropped ?? He's no star but at least you know he cares and wears his heart on his sleeve.

We were critical of Teague for playing his faves at the expense of others, now it appears that Voss is reticent to make smart changes too.

And with so many players hobbling into and out of the medical room, I'm starting to question if that Andrew Russell chap is as good as his reputation says he is. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #68
Hard but fair @LordLucifer ... saw it much the same way.   Didn't voss ever bother looking at tapes of player performances before his appointment?

Reply #69
Thought TDK battled on ok when Pitto went down. Our mids still got a lot of the ball with our starting 4 mids getting 30-37 touches between them - they had no player over 27. 

Our forwards were soundly beaten by their backs and their small forwards as usual were damaging kicked 7 goals between 3 of them against 1 from our smalls. 

I'm not in the camp we cant win without Pitto as we now have a strong midfield group who will win enough of there own ball. Last week we had Pit and he was against a first gamer and we only scrapped over the line. 

Next 2 weeks are both must wins if we are wanting to play finals. No excuses these are 2 lower raked teams that while no game is easy we still must account for them. 
I thought his efforts around the ground were ordinary at times. Perhaps fatigue? He seems to drop his head when it gets tough. In any case, My point that he has a way to go stands.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
@LordLucifer great summary
Setterfield, Newnes, Boyd, Cottrel should not play seniors again.
Mssgrs Owies, Fisher,  Williams, time has just about run out
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
The most sensible thing the Mark Robinson has written in years......

"Fremantle has been working for three years to implement a well balanced defensive and offensive game style under coach Justin Longmuir. The Blues are six week into Michael Voss’ grand plan which means the Blues are a work in progress. Voss is focusing on the contest and clearance and the remaining layers will come over time. That is their ability to transition the ball and to defend transition, which is the hardest part of the game to develop and implement. They can’t win the flag this year, and might even end up in scrap for the eight, and that’s not sweeping criticism of the Blues, it’s just that they are not capable in all facets of the game."

Reply #72
I thought Cottrell competed okay. He wouldn't be in my best team but I think he is the perfect sub.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
I made comment in a post-match thread a couple of weeks ago regarding the spuddage we keep giving senior game time to. Last night, it was the same second tier rejects that let us down again. I also said pre-match that if we were to lose, its all about the context of the loss. We were horrible in so many ways that the context was ripped away and the poor decision-making & lack of talent was on display for all to see.

Setterfield - spare me .... he is a liability
Newnes - saw him run past an opposition many times, in other words, ran away from the contest
Boyd - he crapped his dacks more than once and then gave away a 50m penalty by trying to be a faux toughman
Parks - what has this guy done to warrant selection anyway ??
Cottrell - first rule of football, you need to be able to kick to play the game, why then does he get selected ??
Martin - took some angry pills early, snapped a nice goal and then fluffed a set-shot soda, over-priced dud     
Newman - I have been a supporter of his but time has run out now
Fisher - not good enough for long enough
Owies - crapped his pants and dropped a regulation chest mark, this is the AFL you know !!
Durdin - where were you all night ..... you are better than that crapful effort

Philp, Stocker, Carroll, Kemp,  .... any of them would be better options than the charlatans we have masquerading as footballers out there right now.

What did O'Brien do wrong to get dropped ?? He's no star but at least you know he cares and wears his heart on his sleeve.

We were critical of Teague for playing his faves at the expense of others, now it appears that Voss is reticent to make smart changes too.

And with so many players hobbling into and out of the medical room, I'm starting to question if that Andrew Russell chap is as good as his reputation says he is. 

When you call half our list spuds, is there any wonder that some find their way into the team?
Philp, Carroll, Stocker and Kemp....at least 3 of those 4 have been or are injured currently.
You pine for LOB now? He was #1 on your sacked list for years, now he is the saviour?

I get it, its fashionable for you to be controversial, but that doesn't mean you have to be devoid of logic.

Reply #74
Went to the game and my first AFL game live for quite a while. Sitting up high and you get a distinct advantage that you don't get watching the games on TV....a view of the whole field and you get to see what's happening off the ball and how teams set up etc.

The most telling thing seeing it live was the comparison between their defence and ours. We have the "names"....Weitering, Saad, Williams, Docherty". Individually, those blokes all played well but as a team defence, we were poles apart. Their system was amazing, the way they set up, they seemed to always have a spare who could run off or make it impossible for Curnow or McKay to get a clear run at it...and nothing illegal off the ball stuff. Yet when we seemed to get it, there was no real system coming out of the backline.

I lost count of the number of times Williams got it and it was a just a panic/dump kick and usually straight to an opponent. In his first season I thought Newman was a very valuable pick up but now, he just seems to be a dumb footballer. He continually ran around the back to get a short kick or handball but ran himself into a pocket on his right foot....and he can't kick on his right. Lots of time he had to double back and by then we were completely manned up.

Parks has a crack but not a smart footballer either from what I saw.

On paper, the top 5 leading possession getters were Carlton players so we got plenty of it but just couldn't use it properly.

Their was a collective groan from Blues fans when Pittonet went down and it was impossible to see us winning from that point. To his credit TDK battled manfully and did a fair bit around the ground but Darcy monstered him in the one on one duels.

And seeing it live I got to see how completely useless Setterfield was. He did absolutely nothing and there were countless times that wouldn't have shown up on the TV where he was out on a wing and just stood there....completely flat footed...didn't lead, didn't try and drag his opponent up the ground...just did nothing. It's taken him ages to get to 50 games but on the back of what he's put up this year, he shouldn't be getting too many more chances.

Newnes is a depth player at best.

Cottrell had a crack and while his disposal lets him down, he wasn't our worst player.

Full credit to Cerra who I thought was one of our best and battled hard all night with the crowd and opposition into him every time he went near it. He got caught a couple of times trying to do too much but it wasn't his fault we lost.

Would love to see the stats on how many times we lose when Silvagni isn't out there. Not just missing the backup ruckman when he was needed but his second and third efforts up forward when the ball is in dispute are immeasurable and we had nothing up forward.