Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 26912 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #120
Cant compete when Unions red rag and make factory workers and Labourers earn 100K plus a year.

Coming as I do from a migrant working class background, I've met dozens and dozens of factory workers over the years (my mother was one), and they don't earn 100k, not even half that - not now, and not then.

Don't blame the unions.

Reply #121
Coming as I do from a migrant working class background, I've met dozens and dozens of factory workers over the years (my mother was one), and they don't earn 100k, not even half that - not now, and not then.

Don't blame the unions.
I blame the unions 120% for the death of manufacturing in this country.
And as for the construction industry in Victoria in particular, dont get me started as its utterly disgusting. Unions run by thugs, OMG members intimidating everyone on site, driving contractors to the wall. Animals is all they are.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122

Dude, that's crazy. You should lay the blame correctly - with the corporate hucksters who worship the false idol of maximum profit above all else. Workers have every right to a safe workplace and to be paid enough to live above the poverty line. Workers aren't the greedy ones, you can be quite certain of that.

Reply #123
Dude, that's crazy. You should lay the blame correctly - with the corporate hucksters who worship the false idol of maximum profit above all else. Workers have every right to a safe workplace and to be paid enough to live above the poverty line. Workers aren't the greedy ones, you can be quite certain of that.
Lets just agree to disagree Pauly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #124
Lets just agree to disagree Pauly.

Might be best. You won't find one sensible economist who will say that manufacturers abandon countries because of unions. Not one. You can't have Australian workers on the same wages and conditions as Chinese workers. In fact, not even Chinese workers should work under those circumstances. It's a disgrace.

Reply #125
And as for the construction industry in Victoria in particular, dont get me started as its utterly disgusting. Unions run by thugs, OMG members intimidating everyone on site, driving contractors to the wall. Animals is all they are.

Being part of the union is NOT compulsary.

Beware of jumping in bed with the devil.

Reply #126

You can't use bad examples to invalidate the form. The bad examples should be dealt with by law. Thugs will behave like thugs even in the absence of unions.

Reply #127
Chinese workforce loses about 81 workers a day to workplace accidents, thats roughly 30k workers a year.....thats why they manufacture cheaply...they also have plenty of migrant labor as do their neighbor Russia who are happy to also use cheap migrant Labor thats expendable.

Reply #128
I realise this is not of interest to many forums fans, but a few of us like muscle performance cars and car racing, not always modern ones of course!

Interesting to read GM is going ahead with GMSV(General Motors Speciality Vehicles) brand, but will delay the arrival of the RHD Corvette.

Personally, I'd much rather they concentrate on doing a proper RHD version of the Chevy Camero, which I believe at the various dealer levels is a much better formulated and built high performance car than the Mustang pound for pound. I appreciate at the very high end after market there are some impressive Mustang re-spins/upgrades, the cheaper base of the Mustang opens it up to far more after-market interest so the options are numerous.

I'd much rather a proper Camero in RHD than a dodgy conversion, or building a new Corvette as another poor mans Ferrrari.

Mind you, in my youth I was a big Corvette fan, and they'll be a 5th the price and a 10th the maintenance/running cost of Ferrari, Maserati or Astin.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
Post COVID, we might see Aussie brand Holden return.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #130
I realise this is not of interest to many forums fans, but a few of us like muscle performance cars and car racing, not always modern ones of course!

Interesting to read GM is going ahead with GMSV(General Motors Speciality Vehicles) brand, but will delay the arrival of the RHD Corvette.

Personally, I'd much rather they concentrate on doing a proper RHD version of the Chevy Camero, which I believe at the various dealer levels is a much better formulated and built high performance car than the Mustang pound for pound. I appreciate at the very high end after market there are some impressive Mustang re-spins/upgrades, the cheaper base of the Mustang opens it up to far more after-market interest so the options are numerous.

I'd much rather a proper Camero in RHD than a dodgy conversion, or building a new Corvette as another poor mans Ferrrari.

Mind you, in my youth I was a big Corvette fan, and they'll be a 5th the price and a 10th the maintenance/running cost of Ferrari, Maserati or Astin.
I saw a doc on TV a while about the conversion of the Camaro from Left to RHD being done by HSV at the time. Very impressive, a large % of the dashboard is reusable. Very little by way of "hacking" the body work is required.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #131
Post COVID, we might see Aussie brand Holden return.
 Yep, heard the same, but I've heard it won't be GM Holden but a new standalone entity using the Holden name.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Badge engineered Great Wall or similar??
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #134
JFC, car makers? Really? Yankee ones? They taught the Germans everything they should have ignored. As corrupt as oil firms, and there are few of them not up to their armpits in children's blood. Just like the US car firms. Remember, it took Volvo to give the world seat belts. Holden wasn't part of the real horror until GM took it over. Mt Panorma can't hide how revolting 'Detroit' has been.