Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 26915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #30
Always had cruisers and got an older Prado,  but have only had them for work purposes, which involves a lot of hard off road use,  dust,  creek crossings and rock crawling.  All fwd have issues,  but at least the older Tojos can be repaired in the bush.   The newer V8 ones with the differing front and rear track widths are  dogs in sand.

We're looking at the Merc cruiser wannabes when we upgrade the fleet. If the army have 'em they must be solid.

Rangers are poser Utes for twenty something tradies.  We destroyed a hire one inside a week in the Tanami.

Don't care for electric whiz bang cog swappers... When crawling down a 60 degree slope I feel a lot more comfortable locking it into low range and idling them down.

Missus wants a town car,  been looking at the Stinger,  certainly goes hard.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #31

I just bought Mrs G2C a demo model Golf R, if youre after something that goes hard with all the bells and whistles, have a look at one of those. Is a dead set weapon in race mode and drives a granny's car in eco mode.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
re Jeep....

My old man bought one maybe 18 months ago now.

AFAIK, he hasn't had any problems with it.....but it took him an extra 3 months to get it, and when he did, it still wasn't what he asked/signed/paid for. He had to threaten to take it back and leave it at the dealership, multiple phone calls and emails to get it sorted. Customer service was THE worst he's ever experienced, and thats not from the dealership, thats from head office.

The problem? Sat nav. He wanted it, he paid for it, they said he could have it, they didn't give it to him. Blah blah blah....drawn out forever....so yes, he now has sat nav. But he says its very average and just uses his phone most of the time anyway.

Said he would never go through Jeep again.

Both me and my uncle (his brother) tried to word him on them before he coffed up the coin. He doesn't listen.

Reply #33
I would not go near Chrysler as I found their dealer attitude and service to be appalling, not that I owned one. I agreed to drop off a company vehicle (Voyager) at the dealers on my way home from work, the dealer having given the undertaking they would take me home, about 5 kms away. When I got there they took the vehicle and then claimed to be too busy to take me home!! I was just left high and dry, and in the end had to phone my wife to come and get me. I've hated Chrysler ever since. Aren't they part of the Jeep group?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
I just bought Mrs G2C a demo model Golf R, if youre after something that goes hard with all the bells and whistles, have a look at one of those. Is a dead set weapon in race mode and drives a granny's car in eco mode.

Yup VW Golf goes like the wind if one drives it hard, good traction and comfortable over longer distances.  It’s been huge for years in Europe. Not cheap, though.

Reply #35
I would not go near Chrysler as I found their dealer attitude and service to be appalling, not that I owned one. I agreed to drop off a company vehicle (Voyager) at the dealers on my way home from work, the dealer having given the undertaking they would take me home, about 5 kms away. When I got there they took the vehicle and then claimed to be too busy to take me home!! I was just left high and dry, and in the end had to phone my wife to come and get me. I've hated Chrysler ever since. Aren't they part of the Jeep group?

Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge....all together and all shizen.....customer service is appalling and they dont carry enough spares either, mate bought a Dodge Journey and it lived up to its name...Dodgy.....spent more time at the dealers than on the road and they only have a few service technicians fully trained to work between dealerships to diagnose faults. Then the same crapbox was re-badged as a Fiat....just the worst car maker combo on the planet..

Reply #36
Always had cruisers and got an older Prado,  but have only had them for work purposes, which involves a lot of hard off road use,  dust,  creek crossings and rock crawling.  All fwd have issues,  but at least the older Tojos can be repaired in the bush.   The newer V8 ones with the differing front and rear track widths are  dogs in sand.

We're looking at the Merc cruiser wannabes when we upgrade the fleet. If the army have 'em they must be solid.

Rangers are poser Utes for twenty something tradies.  We destroyed a hire one inside a week in the Tanami.

Don't care for electric whiz bang cog swappers... When crawling down a 60 degree slope I feel a lot more comfortable locking it into low range and idling them down.

Kia are a reasonable company in terms of backing their cars and looking after customers same with Hyundai, its a pity a lot of the other car makers are not so service/customer care orientated.
Rangers are Fords..which means crap customer care and lie after lie in terms of service.....

When you go into a Toyota dealership. no one bothers you much or hassles you thats because they dont have too beg you to buy their cars and also why they wont bargain much.....

Reply #37
Toyota,  like all manufacturers, slug you for spares....it's a bloody racket of epic proportions.  Toyota's spares are so complicated they have a job called "parts interpreter", but that doesn't necessarily guarantee you're going to get what you want....

Reply #38
Toyota,  like all manufacturers, slug you for spares....it's a bloody racket of epic proportions.  Toyota's spares are so complicated they have a job called "parts interpreter", but that doesn't necessarily guarantee you're going to get what you want....

I wasn't impressed when I've had dealings with my local Toyota spares dept. The guys ranged from unhelpful (useless) to downright bloody rude. However I found a good third party spares dealer close by who could get everything I needed, cheaper and with a better customer service ethos.

Reply #39
I wasn't impressed when I've had dealings with my local Toyota spares dept. The guys ranged from unhelpful (useless) to downright bloody rude. However I found a good third party spares dealer close by who could get everything I needed, cheaper and with a better customer service ethos.

Our local Toyota dealer (Mrs DJC has a Toyota C-HR) has been very good so far.  However, that may be more about the laid back and friendly attitude that seems to permeate the population of Sleepy Hollow (aka Geetroit).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
Our local Toyota dealer (Mrs DJC has a Toyota C-HR) has been very good so far.  However, that may be more about the laid back and friendly attitude that seems to permeate the population of Sleepy Hollow (aka Geetroit).

Yes, I think you would get a more friendly approach away from The Big Smoke. Also, customer service probably varies from dealer to dealer, but we mainly have our own experiences to go on.

Reply #41
I'll pay that. I damaged the wing mirror on my Prado reversing down the driveway. Replacement cost from Toyota? $1300 plus painting for colour coding! Solution? Off to the wreckers and got one for $400. Meanwhile, I pulled the old one apart, pulled out the broken indicator and damaged fold back motor, sourced new ones on ebay and fixed it for $110. Now I have a spare for next time or can sell it for $510 and make my money back.
Replacement genuine windscreen? $2100. Left the chip in it!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Love Clint in Gran Torino when his son drives off in a GXL cruiser......grrrrrr

Reply #44
Some great lines in that film....

Get that cr@p off my lawn

Sometimes you run across somebody  ya shouldnta f@@@ed with

A man can fix anything with a tin of that (WD40), some tape and pliers.

Those being some pearls of Clint wisdom.
Apparently the Hemsworth blokes and their ilk are "male action heros"..... the man with no name, William Munny,  Harry or Josey Wales would eat their kind for breakfast.