Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Round 6 vs Lions (Read 4206 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2019 Round 6 vs Lions

Extended squad is out for sundays game....
Backs:   21. Nicola Stevens   36. Jayde Van Dyk   
Half-backs:   9. Kerryn Harrington   20.Charlotte Wilson   6. Gab Pound
Centreline:   2. Katie Loynes   10. Sarah Hosking   15. Chloe Dalton
Half-forwards:   4. Madison Prespakis   7. Tayla Harris   16. Breann Moody
Forwards:   3. Darcy Vescio   1. Brianna Davey   
Followers:   30. Alison Downie   19. Georgia Gee   11. Jess Hosking
Interchange:   14. Brooke Walker   5. Abbie McKay   18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd
8. Amelia Mullane   17. Courtney Webb   26. Shae Audley
12. Lauren Brazzale

In: Shae Audley, Courtney Webb, Lauren Brazzale, Tilly Lucas–Rodd
Out: Emerson Woods, Jess Edwards (omitted)

Davey named up forward this week.

I'd like to see Brazzale as one of the ins.....
Webb as a possible debutant.
Don't think we can play both Audley and Lucas-Rodd in the same team anymore, so one of them in at most.

Re: AFLW 2019 Round 6 vs Lions

Reply #1
Final line-up released:
Carlton v Brisbane at Ikon Park, 4.05pm AEDT
CARLTON
B: N.Stevens 21 J.Van Dyk 36 J.Hosking 11
HB: C.Wilson 20 K.Harrington 9 G.Pound 6
C: K.Loynes 2 
HF: M.Prespakis 4 T.Harris 7 B.Moody 16
F: D.Vescio 3 B.Davey - C 1 G.Gee 19
R: A.Downie 30 S.Hosking 10 C.Dalton 15
Int: B.Walker 14 A.McKay 5 T.Lucas-Rodd 18 A.Mullane 8 L.Brazzale 12 
In: T.Lucas-Rodd, L.Brazzale
Out: J.Edwards , E.Woods
Emerg: C.Webb, S.Audley

I'm a bit surprised to see Jess Edwards dropped, but...

BRISBANE
B: L.Kaslar - C 11 S.Campbell 20 K.Lutkins 13
HB: J.Ellenger 29 S.Virgo 5 E.Bates 1
C: B.Koenen 3 
HF: L.Arnell 16 E.Zielke 8 N.Exon 15
F: J.Wuetschner 23 S.Frederick-Traub 14 S.Webb 4
Foll: J.Keeffe 27 A.Anderson 18 J.Zanchetta 7
I/C: M.Dowrick 33 G.Collingwood 28 J.Yorston 25 K.McCarthy 9 J.Tawhiao-Wardlaw 30 
In: J.Ellenger, S.Webb
Out: M.Hunt, A.Clarke
Emerg: A.Clarke 21, N.Grider 17
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Are the outs dropped or managed?  In past seasons it was expected that players would be rested to manage fitness and to give others on the roster an opportunity.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Courtesy of a cats loss yesterday we are left with our destiny in our own hands. A simple 'win and were in' scenario today.

We will go top of conference b with a win today and have a game and % on 3rd spot with a game to go.

Of course if we do win today we'll be top of our ladder as well. Meaning we can avoid North in week 1 of finals should we stay there.

But one week at a time and today is a tough game that we need to be fully focussed on

Reply #4
They said we would play north based on current ladder position. Confused...

Reply #5
They said we would play north based on current ladder position. Confused...

Is it 1st in one conference plays 2nd in the other?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I thought it would be 1st v 2nd in each conference as the prelim, then the two winners play each other in the GF.

Good win today, well done gals.

Hats off to Harf and the gals, from wooden spoon to finals contenders... bravo.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
I thought it would be 1st v 2nd in each conference as the prelim, then the two winners play each other in the GF.

Good win today, well done gals.

Hats off to Harf and the gals, from wooden spoon to finals contenders... bravo.
Correct.

Currently, North are sitting 2nd on their ladder, courtesy of a defeat at the hands of the crows last week (which i forgot about).

But their ladder position can and will change based on next weeks fixtures - dees vs crows and kangas vs dockers. It could all come down to % for those 2.

Reply #8
Personally i haven't seen the game yet, so i'll have to wait until tomorrow (or tuesday) when i have time to watch it before i comment. But, this is big for our girls. Season on the line and they came up trumps. Good effort. Lets keep some winning momentum going.

Reply #9

They cross over.

First Preliminary Final: Conference A winner hosts Conference B runner-up

Second Preliminary Final: Conference B winner hosts Conference A runner-up

Both Preliminary Finals to be played on Saturday March 23.

Grand Final: First Preliminary Final winner v Second Preliminary Final winner
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
A very good win by the girls in a very even performance. We’re really coming home with a wet sail.

The Rugby 7s girls are really taking to AFLW as if it was their first code.  Their decision making and execution is good and I suspect that reflects the similarity between the codes.

Finishing top of our conference will give us an advantage but the preliminary final will be a challenge regardless of who finishes on top in the other conference.  If we’re good enough, we’ll win and make it to the granny.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
A very good win by the girls in a very even performance. We’re really coming home with a wet sail.

The Rugby 7s girls are really taking to AFLW as if it was their first code.  Their decision making and execution is good and I suspect that reflects the similarity between the codes.

Finishing top of our conference will give us an advantage but the preliminary final will be a challenge regardless of who finishes on top in the other conference.  If we’re good enough, we’ll win and make it to the granny.

I thought coming home with a wet sail is slower???

We are storming home!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
I thought coming home with a wet sail is slower???

We are storming home!

Sailors would wet the sails so that the ship/yacht can sail closer to the wind. Coming home with a wet sail = faster, stronger, more direct, etc ????

Reply #13
CARLTON        1.2       2.5       5.6       6.7 (43)
BRISBANE       2.0       2.2       3.2       4.3 (27)

GOALS
Carlton: Walker 2, Harris 2, Vescio, Lucas-Rodd
Brisbane: Ellenger 2, McCarthy, Wuetschner

BEST
Carlton: Prespakis, Harris, Dalton, Walker, Davey, Stevens
Brisbane: Lutkins, Bates, Anderson, Wuetschner, Exon, Ellenger

I had a very enjoyable afternoon at the football yesterday, with a few thousand lucky others, as the Blues won their way into the finals. It was pleasant not to be cooking under 35ºC+ temperatures for a change.
Our ladies started quite well but let Brisbane in when the ball got over the back. Our forwards looked dangerous, but we did not get it to them all that well. As the game went on, we got stronger, shutting down the more dangerous Brisbane forwards, while making a bit more of our chances.
Maddy Prespakis started like a house on fire, with some of the best centre clearances seen by Carlton this year. She had a couple of quiet patches, but her 27 possessions were excellent.
Alison Downie and Breann Moody rucked well against taller, stronger opponents. The few times they were beaten in the ruck lead to Brisbane scores. Downie, in particular, rucked very intelligently and was instrumental to our win.
Breann Moody is a very frustrating player who definitely has not got her mojo back yet, for all of her improved form. Her shot for goal was awful. Other things she did could have been really good, but poor disposal ruined them. She’s got a lot of work to do.
Nik Stevens played one of her best games for Carlton yesterday; a real improvement over some of the sloppy work she has done this year.
Brooke Walker was very good but needs to work on her kicking. Her 2 goals came from really good work and willingness to take the game on. Much better than last week.
Chloe Dalton was the biggest threat to Maddy Prespakis for BOG honours. Around the ball and resting in the forward line, her pace and run was excellent. Her game is coming on in leaps and bounds.
Darcy Vescio and Tayla Harris were a great set of key targets, with Harris’ desperation and strong contested marking on show. If Tayla kicks all the time like she did today, she will never miss again. She really kicked through the ball in a way that some of the guys could well note. If she did that from 10 m out, we’d probably have only one loss for the season.
Harrington was strong in defence against her huge opponent, and Jayde van Dyke and Gabby Pound were good.
Georgia Gee has been down lately, but she had a much better game this week.
Davey was also down somewhat, but her strong contributions in the clinches were very positive.

One thing that disappointed me was the form of Tilly Lucas-Rodd. She really looked small and slow and her kicking was a reminder of earlier times. I am sorry to say that the game is passing her. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Sailors would wet the sails so that the ship/yacht can sail closer to the wind. Coming home with a wet sail = faster, stronger, more direct, etc ????

Apparently wetting causes the canvas fibres to swell thereby making the sails less porous so they harness more of the wind's power.
Reality always wins in the end.