Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38645 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
Agree wasnt our worst and in conditions that probably dont suit him......Nick Graham was amongst our best and clearly the sting taken out of the track suited a slower player like Graham.
We just dont have the big bodies apart from Cripps and in conditions like that especially when Gawn dominated the ruck we were going to struggle...E. Curnow was a big loss in those conditions..
Melbourne did their homework too and had some good matchups, we struggled in the coaching box and were slow to move players IMO.....
Melbourne are an ok side but not 100 points better IMO....OShea, Mullet and Rowe were woeful which didnt help either.....

EB we were like little boys being pushed around by tough big men. Our tackles were contemtuously shrugged far too often. The need for bigger bodies at the coal could not have be made more obvious.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Agree wasnt our worst and in conditions that probably dont suit him......Nick Graham was amongst our best and clearly the sting taken out of the track suited a slower player like Graham.
We just dont have the big bodies apart from Cripps and in conditions like that especially when Gawn dominated the ruck we were going to struggle...E. Curnow was a big loss in those conditions..
Melbourne did their homework too and had some good matchups, we struggled in the coaching box and were slow to move players IMO.....
Melbourne are an ok side but not 100 points better IMO....OShea, Mullet and Rowe were woeful which didnt help either.....

"Struggled" is probably a nice word about our effort in the coaching box. I had other more colorful words...lol.

Reply #47
Depends on whether it's a full or partial tear, or if it's just a strain.

I feel there is more to this than BB, it looks like there is more to this than BB, I wonder if he is being undermined.

That’s one hell of a leap. Im gutted by today’s loss but you look at what we put out there and the effort of some individuals- we have some good assistant coaches, I see this more as players not listening or being capable of playing to instruction.

Ducking kerridge - kicks round corners instead of playing percentages, daisy try’s to play champagne football to LOB when Spumante would have been the better option. Jones failing to get body contact with his opponent ....the list goes on. I agree wiTh an earlier post, get rid of the spuds and let the kids play!

Reply #48
No matter what way you cut it, I believe that's our biggest ever loss to Melbourne.  Something is seriously wrong.  Game plan non existent, recruitment worse, injury rehab and depth pathetic .. I won't go on

Reply #49
A few harsh on SPS. 22 possessions, was actually throwing himself into the packs, 6 tackles. A significant improvement on recent efforts IMO.......after 28 career games.

I agree and said as much in the game thread.
He went in hard today compared to previous games. His vision, decision making, and handballling was improved. There were a couple of times this resulted in getting it out of congestion to a teammate in the clear. It fell apart then as we were outnumbered or outmuscled.

I think Samo is building slowly, which is all you can ask for of a 2nd year player. Little Zac has been the more steady improved this year. Today though, he struggled to find any consistency. More a symptom of the team IMO. Young 1, 2, 3 year players will have poor performances every few games. Our problem is we can't cover for all the youngsters in a game, let alone game after game. Some of that is the flow on effect of so many injuries.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
 started leaving after the Lamb goal in the third.

Quite often the ball goes to the right places, however the players don't, so we are consistently following up and scrambling for the ball.   The is also a significant amount of missed targets, again requiring a huge amount of energy to follow up.

Kicked down the line a lot was due to a lack of targets and movement.

There were a couple of cracking handballs, but then our player gets caught trying to take them on.

We aren't gelled as a team yet.  Is this due to not having or best 22 going round, length of time playing together, game plan not being understood, or adapted for the team that we have on the park.

More concerned about the first half and 5 minutes of third quarter then the second half.  They scored some very easy goals...

Reply #51
That’s one hell of a leap. Im gutted by today’s loss but you look at what we put out there and the effort of some individuals- we have some good assistant coaches, I see this more as players not listening or being capable of playing to instruction.

Ducking kerridge - kicks round corners instead of playing percentages, daisy try’s to play champagne football to LOB when Spumante would have been the better option. Jones failing to get body contact with his opponent ....the list goes on. I agree wiTh an earlier post, get rid of the spuds and let the kids play!

Apparently Bolton blew up at the three quarter time break.
Even the commentators were impressed by the venom.
But...
Are our coaches making 'promises' our players cant keep?
Are their expectations exceeding the player's ability?
The players obviously weren't following instructions.
We've seen that a couple of times over the last decade...where a coach's plan is too demanding, or complicated, for the players at his disposal.
In that case either the plan changes or the coach changes.(We usually choose option 2 ;))

They key difference between last week and this was the effort and attitude...yep, you'll get that with young sides but that's one hell of a roller coaster.
The thing is...If we throw it over to the kids then expect the losses to exceed 100 points on many occasions while they develop...and we can't go whinging about that.

Reply #52

The thing is...If we throw it over to the kids then expect the losses to exceed 100 points on many occasions while they develop...and we can't go whinging about that.

The upside is that they develop and grow together as a group and succeed or fail as one, the team we had on the park today is a patchwork of bits and pieces. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #53
To me, sitting in the stand, we just looked, primarily, overwhelmed physically and the rot started there. Also Melbourne were far quicker and slicker on the breakout and punished us seemingly at will. By contrast  when we tried to break out we were too often stopped by lack of ideas and slow movement, skill errors and turnovers or fierce Melbourne tackling. Done like a dinner today I'm afraid to say. Brushed aside.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
In case today's loss wasn't bad enough we're back on the bottom now. Brisbane have stitched up the Hawks is Brissie and have a much better percentage than us.

Reply #55
The upside is that they develop and grow together as a group and succeed or fail as one, the team we had on the park today is a patchwork of bits and pieces.

It's actually a strategy I've supported....getting all the young ones playing together.
The question in my mind was whether we do it at senior level or at VFL level (another reason for our own stand alone VFL side)

If we do it at senior level  there must be a core group of senior players that remain in the side.
They're the players like Kreuzer that give the example and also offer a bit of support and protection while the young develop.
But we should still expect, and be prepared for, some massive losses.

Reply #56
You know you've had a bad day when a spud like Melsham kicks five.......

Nothing to say here, this is what a complete rebuild looks like at the beginning of the third year, farking ugly!!

Patience my brethren, watching the Bears make the Dawks look second rate for me confirms we are on the right track, confident to predict Brisbane V Blues finals in about three years. I am in no way delusional, this stripping back of the previous incarnation had to happen if we were to create something sustainable and not some fly by night band aid that we used to revel in to sell us a poxy vision that we were at least competitive. I like what I am seeing with the youth, blokes like Kerridge, O'Shae, and Graham are only out there to make up the numbers, they will be replaced by the likes of Dochety, Byrne, Curnow (C+E), Williamson, Cunningham etc.

In the words of Yazz (the singer not Yarran!) "The only way is up...."
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #57
In case today's loss wasn't bad enough we're back on the bottom now. Brisbane have stitched up the Hawks is Brissie and have a much better percentage than us.

Lions up by almost 10 goals no less :o

Well it's No 1 draft pick heading our way.....
If there's any integrity in the competition we should also get a pp. We've been bottomed out for how long?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #58
Lions up by almost 10 goals no less :o

Well it's No 1 draft pick heading our way.....
If there's any integrity in the competition we should also get a pp. We've been bottomed out for how long?

The problem is we bottomed out by choice... publicly
You cant give away all your stuff and then say... I've got no stuff give me some ;)

Reply #59
It's actually a strategy I've supported....getting all the young ones playing together.
The question in my mind was whether we do it at senior level or at VFL level (another reason for our own stand alone VFL side)

If we do it at senior level  there must be a core group of senior players that remain in the side.
They're the players like Kreuzer that give the example and also offer a bit of support and protection while the young develop.
But we should still expect, and be prepared for, some massive losses.

I don't think that we'd lose too many by more than 109 points.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.