Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 2794 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
As K pointed out, VFL good form does not automatically transfer to good AFL form. And this applies, especially, to the perplexing selection of Pitto... to replace a mid... WTF! I don't care how well Pitto played in the Magoos, his selection unsettled our side. Another sentimental selection?

Personally, I think Binnsy is close but his light body still concerns me... needs more strength in the contest. When the going got really hard and tough in the VFL Rottingwood game, especially in the second half, Binnsy went missing.

Ollie hasn't been down on form, he's been ordinary. Reality. Tries his heart out, but tackle failures and fumbles worry me. I'd definitely give him a spell in the Magoos to regain touch and work on hurting the opposition with possessions... not to mention much needed confidence.

Acres and Cotters are our best wingmen... both can run all day, defend well and then hit the scoreboard.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
As K pointed out, VFL good form does not automatically transfer to good AFL form. And this applies, especially, to the perplexing selection of Pitto... to replace a mid... WTF! I don't care how well Pitto played in the Magoos, his selection unsettled our side. Another sentimental selection?

Personally, I think Binnsy is close but his light body still concerns me... needs more strength in the contest. When the going got really hard and tough in the VFL Rottingwood game, especially in the second half, Binnsy went missing.

Ollie hasn't been down on form, he's been ordinary. Reality. Tries his heart out, but tackle failures and fumbles worry me. I'd definitely give him a spell in the Magoos to regain touch and work on hurting the opposition with possessions... not to mention much needed confidence.

Acres and Cotters are our best wingmen... both can run all day, defend well and then hit the scoreboard.

I called it before the game. "There goes our team balance".....and it was obvious once the final siren went, if not before, that i was right.

Only question i have is WHY did they 'pull that reign'? If for some reason nobody else was available to be sub, then put Pittonet as the sub and hope you don't get an injury.
Really like to see what happened with Cincotta being MIA.
Really like to hear the justification for Cerra <> Pittonet.

re Hollands....
I don't think he has been as bad as some are making out.
You are correct that Cottrell and Acres can run all day.....but so can Hollands.
FWIW....
Distance covered....
 Cottrell ran 15.5km in our game vs the Crows, to lead everyone else on the ground.
Hollands was second with 15.0km. 3 adelaide players manged 14km+ to round out the top 5.

Distance covered at high speed....
Hollands lead the rest of the ground with 3.7km
Crows 2+3
Acres 3.1
Cottrell 3.0
In terms of sprints from last game...
Acres was #1 with 31. O.Hollands was 3rd with 27 (adelaide 2, 4 and 5).

Work rate (average km/h in attack)....
O. Hollands was ground leader with 9.1.
Walsh 8.8
Solijo 8.6
E. Hollands 8.4
Cottrell 8.3
***5 adelaide players made up the top 5 in defence.

So 'out of form' is subjective.
One thing for certain is he is certainly trying and putting in the hard yards and that won't be replaced in a hurry

Reply #32

Agree Cotters on the wing is perfect. Ollie is young and needs to improve his game but we need to blood some youngsters as well. Would like to see Ollie play in the midfield at VFL to get his hands on the ball and win some clearances.

Cunners isnt perfect but has a good goal assist and tackle game.

Reply #33
We have to send a strong message at the selection table that passengers need to buy some new tickets.

Having a handful of guys who are just making up the numbers is unacceptable on all levels.

We have been hit hard with injuries when we can least afford to with five very hard games coming up, it is not out of the question to go from 4-0 to 4-6 in the blink of an eye.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #34
We have to send a strong message at the selection table that passengers need to buy some new tickets.

Having a handful of guys who are just making up the numbers is unacceptable on all levels.

We have been hit hard with injuries when we can least afford to with five very hard games coming up, it is not out of the question to go from 4-0 to 4-6 in the blink of an eye.

Last year we were cruising along with a great win to loss ratio. We then hit a combination of poor form and injuries to have too many lost games in succession. Then we had to reboot mentally and drag us back up to almost top 4 positions on the ladder. Only to be so fatigued that we could not come away with a preliminary win. We really cannot afford to lose all of our next 5 games. There is a chance it could actually happen. We need Voss to teach the players how to be mentally strong. Our hamstring injuries don’t give me faith that a weeks rest is enough to bring Cerra, Gov and Saad back into action. I don’t like our chances of winning more than one game in the next 5 weeks. One at best. Not being negative but more of a case of being realistic. Doc and Silvagni injuries almost killed our season before it really began. Two versatile players that could play in any position and play with passion and heart. Giving us cover we really needed.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #35
Not sure what everyone else has been watching but we are not cruising along, in fact, we are actually turning it over quite regularly in situations where there is more time than we think.

Also we are not making the most of our opportunities.

I would state that we are currently not playing well, but working hard which is positive. 

I think we actually need less effort and more composure. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
B: Newman  Young  Kemp
HB: Williams Weitering  Boyd
C: Cottrell    Hewett    Acres
HF: E. Hollands   McKay    Kennedy
F: Owies   Curnow   Moir
R: TDK   Cripps  Walsh
IC: Cowan  Cincotta  O. Hollands Durdin
E: Fantasia

Reply #37
B: Newman  Young  Kemp
HB: Williams Weitering  Boyd
F: Owies   Curnow   Moir
R: TDK   Cripps  Walsh
IC: Cowan  Cincotta  O. Hollands Durdin
E: Fantasia

I

B: Newman  Weiters  Kemp
HB: Williams TDK Boyd
F: Owies   Curnow  Durdin
R: Pitto  Cripps  Walsh
IC: Cowan  Cincotta  O. Hollands Fantasia
E: Binns

I really want to see TDK play as a key back. Young and McGovern aren't that guy. Only one of Kemp and McGovern can play. We get ruck flexibility with either TDKnor Harry giving Pitto a break without losing put run.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #38
14 players out, playing the top team which hasn't lost all season, no worries. Carlton by five goals.

Reply #39
Cincotta for Saad
Young and Weitering as key defenders
Kemp to play McGovern's role.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
Hate to say it, but can't see how we can win this.  We struggle with fast-running sides, and GWS have that in buckets.  

The one glint of optimism is Harry and Charlie with no Sam Taylor.   But then again, I thought they would kick big bags against Freo and Adelaide for similar reasons......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #41
14 players out, playing the top team which hasn't lost all season, no worries. Carlton by five goals.

Cannot believe we have players who RE-INJURE hamstrings whilst trying to recover from a Hamstring..... WTF is going on with our Re-Hab.

We have our 3 frequent Flyers in the redhab group, Martin, Marcy and Cunners. Motlolp must be enjoying their company as he is trying to force his way in.

We will not win a flag with soft players who are more out than in.  Its time to stick a fork in and show them the door....

The only good thing about our 14 on the  injured list is that we have banked 4 wins and there is a long way to go. If we win 2 out of our next 4 it will be a miricle.

Reply #42
I know we are all probably sick to death of talking about it but...Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data was on SEN last night talking about the decision to play Pitto. Rattled off the amount of times we have won "turnover game" playing only TDK. Was 60% from memory compared to I think it was 25% when we played both. Also TDK played forward for 30 mins on Saturday and was targeted only once. Further to this, H doesn't get to ruck which affects his game and the team because he impacts when he plays ruck.
Hopefully the MC listen to SEN...

Reply #43
Hate to say it, but can't see how we can win this.  We struggle with fast-running sides, and GWS have that in buckets. 

The one glint of optimism is Harry and Charlie with no Sam Taylor.   But then again, I thought they would kick big bags against Freo and Adelaide for similar reasons......
I too cant see how we can beat GWS but guess what, our recent history shows we dont give and we find a way.
Blues in a nail biter
Go Blues!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
I know we are all probably sick to death of talking about it but...Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data was on SEN last night talking about the decision to play Pitto. Rattled off the amount of times we have won "turnover game" playing only TDK. Was 60% from memory compared to I think it was 25% when we played both. Also TDK played forward for 30 mins on Saturday and was targeted only once. Further to this, H doesn't get to ruck which affects his game and the team because he impacts when he plays ruck.
Hopefully the MC listen to SEN...
Yep its a much talked about topic but its hard to argue against that in the modern game its hard to carry two genuine rucks who are of little value elsewhere and the allrounder ruck who can play either KP or somewhere else on the ground has to be the priority and that it was odd vs a pacy team who have troubled us previously who only carry one genuine ruck themselves why Pittonet was selected. It was a MC blunder that didnt help but hindered our efforts...
I'll also add that TDK is nothing special when played forward either and I dont consider him a qualified forward and id rather rest him for 5 mins each quarter on the bench than send him forward to congest our forward line.