Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34240 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #270
Oh thats right, i forgot the #1 reason for hating Bolton is the way he speaks.  ::) Too many cliches.

Must be why you picked up on 'blind hatred' and ignored the actual crux of the post.

Lets look at facts.

1. We've been in every game this year.
2. We've been steadily getting closer to a win each week. Last week it was goal accuracy that could've changed the result. This week a multitude of 50-50s that cost us. We were in front for over 80% of the game.
3. There has been some steady improvement from our oldest group of younger players
- Weitering
- SPS
etc
4. The older players are starting to decline, but the kids coming through are improving by more.
5. For the 2nd year running we've lost one of our most important players for the year in Doc.
6. We have not had one of our most important players, Kreuzer, at our disposal at all so far, and have been forced to play our 2nd, 3rd and 4th rucks thus far. Our 5th ruck is injured otherwise he probably would've got a game too.
7. Overall, there is clear improvement in almost all areas except one glaring one - the win column.

Yes, we are playing a lot of players that have not played with eachother previous to this year.
Yes, we are playing a lot of kids who will make mistakes, and need to make mistakes.
Yes, it is frustrating as hell, but don't let your emotions override the logical side of your brain.

The sky is not falling.

Some people ask why I love you Krudds... ????
We still need to sack everyone though ????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #272
I think the concept of the utility player, one who can better an opponent in any position, is a dead-set furphy. It says more about the inability of the coaching staff and MC than the capabilities of a player.

The only winners in AFL are the blokes who play their best role, in their best position and do it better than their opponents can cope with! If you don't have enough of the winners across the ground you lose!

Not a furphy, just not as common as people make out.

When reading that, the first person i thought of was SOS.

Down back, obviously flog his opponent, FB or CHB, didn't matter.
Won us plenty of games by moving forward too.
Even flogged Ablett in the GF when moved to the wing to get a kick.

Nobody had an easy day on SOS.

Secondly, i thought of Waite.
Forward or back, he was a beast.
Even flogged Matty Richardson when he was in career best form playing from a wing.

A few other names popped up, but you get the gist. Its certainly possible.

Reply #273
A few other names popped up, but you get the gist. Its certainly possible.

Historically it was a bit different, those blokes spent 80% of their time or more in one position.

In the modern sense, players are all over the shop, too many of them in my opinion. It's a form of standardisation that is seemingly bastardising the skill levels of the game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #274
Saw a snippet of Paul Roos on whatever show he's on (with Healy, Lyon and J Brown). Said he watched the Blues Suns game, and he thought Murphy was "super." Said he "ran himself into the ground."

Reply #275
I think he may be paying attention to a lot of our players ;D

A bit like a vulture does. ;)

Reply #276
Saw a snippet of Paul Roos on whatever show he's on (with Healy, Lyon and J Brown). Said he watched the Blues Suns game, and he thought Murphy was "super." Said he "ran himself into the ground."
This is the stuff you can't see when you watch a game on tv. It's often the running guys do without the ball that is most important

Reply #277

I thought he was okay but not as good as the week before and certainly not better than Jones or Weitering.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #278
I thought he was okay but not as good as the week before and certainly not better than Jones or Weitering.

In the Jim Park thread you said giving him votes was akin to trolling ?

Does he have to better than Jones or Weeters to be considered good ?

Reply #279

Saw the same thing. Always like Roosies take on things. He also mentioned he'd rather see Charlie running more up the ground, too clogged with 3 talls.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #280
Saw the same thing. Always like Roosies take on things. He also mentioned he'd rather see Charlie running more up the ground, too clogged with 3 talls.

I'm not such a fan of Roos myself. Gets on my wick for some reason. But I'm glad he said it.

Reply #281
Historically it was a bit different, those blokes spent 80% of their time or more in one position.

In the modern sense, players are all over the shop, too many of them in my opinion. It's a form of standardisation that is seemingly bastardising the skill levels of the game.

So you say its a furphy, i prove otherwise and then you say its only untrue in the modern game....but go onto say that players play all over the place already in the modern game.

So lets throw up some modern names.
Dangerfield, Cripps, DeGoey, Martin.....will beat their opponents, forward and midfield....and there are plenty of others.

Blicavz can be a ruck, back or midfielder.

...there will be others.

Reply #282
I'm not such a fan of Roos myself. Gets on my wick for some reason. But I'm glad he said it.

Wouldn't say I was a fan of Roosy, more about respect. I like listening to perspectives from those who've coached sides to the top of the tree.

Reply #283
Wouldn't say I was a fan of Roosy, more about respect. I like listening to perspectives from those who've coached sides to the top of the tree.

Yes, my feelings as well.

Reply #284
Yes, my feelings as well.

I've had the good fortune to hear addresses by Matthews & Jeans - the clarity, brevity, intensity and succinct intelligence of their communication is really inspiring. You could really understand how and why their sides took the field, all on the same page, all knowing what they had to do. They were also somewhat intimidating, not a bad trait for respect and adherence to the side's disciplines.