Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 35083 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #75
I just saw the last 2 minutes on the computer. I still cannot believe it.
Yes, Paddy Dow made a bad mistake, but he then got the clearance only seconds afterwards. Don't throw him away yet.
The umpire not giving Jones that mark - I still can't believe it. One grab, man in front, no doubts at all, yet it is play on and they scored from it (1 point). 13 frees to 20. Difference between a win and a loss.

That said, we should be better and should have won by plenty. We had more talent on the field. But it isn't producing. As for Lobbe, he has a bit heart, but he is no longer a senior ruckman. Not even close.

It's not the final minutes that are the problem, it's the rest of the game!

Through all this, I had to listen to a broadcast with commentators barracking for GC, they want us to be the tragedy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
On multiple occasions this season I've either seen or heard of moments in game were three Carlton players are standing inside F50 almost unattended, and we instead kick the ball long to small forwards outnumbered by defenders.
Would that be players decision, or a coaching direction? If it's done on a regular basis, than you would think its coaching, you would think players instinctively would go to the talls?

Reply #77
Charlie Curnow has played 3 games and produced 3 shockers...what to do with him?

Not that worried, he'll come good.

Reply #78
Two things.

1. Why when we play a tall forwardline are we kicking it to Michael Gibbons?

I get it, we are trying to give the bloke a goal but how about getting a freaking win instead??

2. Walsh is already in our top 3 performers every week.  What a disgrace to the others.

Take two. Exactly. WTF are our forwards up the ground and we kick it long to the guy who is suppose to be front and square and feeding of the crumbs!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so livid after the game I have to go for a walk to cool off and IT HAS NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #79
Would a really good coach make them a much better team?

We have some serious talent on our list but the coach can’t get the best out of them.
There is a simple answer

Yep...I'd question the coaching but I'd also be taking a serious look at the so called serious talent..

Serious talent doesnt kick the ball like some of our blokes do and make simple errors...Nick Holman was more effective than some of our so called serious talent
who pick and choose when they want to get serious.....

Reply #80
There were certainly many critical moments we can bang on about.
Ed v Bowes stoppage snap, Dow or Charlie's poor i50 brain fade v 2m Peter's, kicking to Gibbons repeatedly v a talented AFL players....

In the end our poor skill and decisions left us short. I don't think GC would be any happier with their equally poor performance.

I thought we were:
Thrashed in the ruck yet didn't play to Witts dominance
So so in the midfield
Picked a tall fwd line yet didn't play to their advantage

Add MK and many more opportunities avail

Nonetheless a very winnable game goes begging.

A few who impressed
Jones and Weiters with good support from Daisy
Crippa (q1 aside), Samo, Fisher in patches, and of course Walsh. Dow solid inside and on the burst, let down by disposal.
Murphy provided the smarts. However, there were just too many poor decisions particularly going i50.
We also struggled to get the ball out of defense over the centre of the ground, especially q1.

In all. we gave GC the win. Addressing a few of the obvious faults and yes, we would have won.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #81
Yep...I'd question the coaching but I'd also be taking a serious look at the so called serious talent..

Serious talent doesnt kick the ball like some of our blokes do and make simple errors...Nick Holman was more effective than some of our so called serious talent

I call it Gibbs/Murphy syndrome!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82

It's a worry Eb1, because it seems to be habitual!

I call it Gibbs/Murphy syndrome!

Sounds like Murphy stood up today, without him we'd have been out of it by 3/4 time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Charlie Curnow has played 3 games and produced 3 shockers...what to do with him?

He should play twos and learn how hard he needs to work.
He has elite endurance and doesn’t use it

We need him to be a star not another jack watts

Reply #84
Surely Gibbo should be axed this week, hasn't added to the goal tally which is his spot currently, why hasn't he had mins in the midfield? Who replaces him? poulsen? Don't think so, we don't really have a small forward who scores, Wright in the last few yrs was the best option,

Reply #85
GC had a small D50, look at our bottom ranked players.

20th Casboult
21st McGovern
22nd McKay
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87

I believe this is a reflection on the prevalent playing group culture which is the result of a lack of the right attitudes within our senior group over many years. We need to take some drastic action here imo.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #88
It's a worry Eb1, because it seems to be habitual!

Sounds like Murphy stood up today, without him we'd have been out of it by 3/4 time!

Murphy was ok today but put in a few shocking kicks like many others....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #89
We played 2 patches of good footy - 10mins at the start of the 2nd and 10 mins at the start of the third. In that time we kicked 5 of our 8 goals. For the other 60mins it was largely a mess of skill errors and lack of poise. We have so many dumb footballers and have done for years and years. When the pressure came on in the last quarter we wilted as we always do.

I can't see how Bolton can keep his job next year. 4 games in and we are rock bottom on the ladder again. You can't sugar coat the fact that we can't score, and cant play anything more than the 10-15 mins of AFL standard football before we start to look like a VFL team.

Here a great stat from today - they had 96 marks in total for the day. 71 of those came from our kicks. 3 out of 4 of their marks came from intercepts!

Hmm. I had the same recurring nightmare for four weeks now. We play 2 good patches or quarters of football and then go to sleep and get rolled.