Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34262 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #45
Not unless a miracle occurs. Losing to a Qld team has lost our coaches their jobs before. So may this. It simply isn't good enough.

Yep - he needs to get in touch with Lazarus asap.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
What system do we employ to move the ball into scoring positions?   Chaos theory?   Brownian motion?

Because there sure ain't any system or plan.... And that's a coaching issue.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
The coach isn't the problem. Modern football is more structured, more systematic, and more complex than it's ever been. You can't blame the coach for shocking turnovers, clangers, players that can't kick straight etc.

Coach is a massive problem. That's 3 wins from 36 and 0-4 4th year in. Sorry, the buck stops right there. We know how to pick $hit coaches. We got one right since Parko and sacked him.

Reply #48
The coach isn't the problem. Modern football is more structured, more systematic, and more complex than it's ever been. You can't blame the coach for shocking turnovers, clangers, players that can't kick straight etc.

Agree, it's not the coach when it's the old blokes who should be better, the ones setting the example under pressure, yet they are the ones making the bulk of the clangers! This week Ed, Plowman, Simmo, etc., etc., shocking!

Our club won't/can't trade or retire them all, so the head coach will ultimately pay the price and the old blokes will survive.

But answer this question;

Which coaches have been in place developing those skills right through this horrible era?

That would be my first move!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Coach is a massive problem. That's 3 wins from 36 and 0-4 4th year in. Sorry, the buck stops right there. We know how to pick $hit coaches. We got one right since Parko and sacked him.

Yes, but the "we" that picks coaches has been different over the last 20 years. The importance of the senior coach is over stated by many on here, who fall into simplistic, old school thinking. But don't take my word for it :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/time-to-cap-the-wages-of-senior-afl-coaches-leigh-matthews-20150530-ghd3l9.html

Reply #50
We played 2 patches of good footy - 10mins at the start of the 2nd and 10 mins at the start of the third. In that time we kicked 5 of our 8 goals. For the other 60mins it was largely a mess of skill errors and lack of poise. We have so many dumb footballers and have done for years and years. When the pressure came on in the last quarter we wilted as we always do.

I can't see how Bolton can keep his job next year. 4 games in and we are rock bottom on the ladder again. You can't sugar coat the fact that we can't score, and cant play anything more than the 10-15 mins of AFL standard football before we start to look like a VFL team.

Here a great stat from today - they had 96 marks in total for the day. 71 of those came from our kicks. 3 out of 4 of their marks came from intercepts!

Reply #51
Yes, but the "we" that picks coaches has been different over the last 20 years. The importance of the senior coach is over stated by many on here, who fall into simplistic, old school thinking. But don't take my word for it :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/time-to-cap-the-wages-of-senior-afl-coaches-leigh-matthews-20150530-ghd3l9.html

I think the bigger problem is the old boys circuit, the ones that think the natural progression to the end of their playing career is to be an AFL assistant coach!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
It's rarely one area that contributes to this team mis function , but it's the coach that will be replaced, we can't continue shuffling the players any more, have to try a different process, wether Bolts has the teaching process or not , it's either not being implemented, or not working. He gets the big bucks, and carries the can.

Reply #53
The coach isn’t the problem?

Geez you guys are in fairy land

You always wanna make excuses for these guys.
He is the problem
We have no system and no confidence

How can we simply forget about this game?

Reply #54
Last week it was The Gov that created a spark, and he looked the only forward today to look threatening, when he went of we had no targets

Reply #55
I think the bigger problem is the old boys circuit, the ones that think the natural progression to the end of their playing career is to be an AFL assistant coach!

I'd have no problem sacking Bolton if I thought it would achieve something. But I look at our recent history with senior coaches, I look at the Tigers, I look at the Pies and I simply don't see how it will solve anything.

Reply #56
Can I ask if we had won by 1 point would that have changed much?...just given us another false dawn?
Look at the game today, would you want to coach either of those teams?

Reply #57
Other part is if he was dumped say mid year, who would you look at?

Reply #58
Last week it was The Gov that created a spark, and he looked the only forward today to look threatening, when he went of we had no targets

Would help if the players streaming (being generous) into F50 actually kicked to a legitimate target!

Again, that's a coaching 101 issue.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
Can I ask if we had won by 1 point would that have changed much?...just given us another false dawn?
Look at the game today, would you want to coach either of those teams?

Then Bolton get a 1 week reprieve, until the next loss, and then it's on again. Both teams were shocking. Is Dew also a problem ?