Skip to main content
Topic: Our Horrible Hitmen (Read 5844 times) previous topic - next topic

Our Horrible Hitmen

It appears that the recruiting panel over the past few years whether by design or just pure luck has finally assembled a small panel of hard-nosed "Hitmen" on our list.

Tuohy, Cachia, Robinson, Bell are all very hard competitors who not only tackle ferociously but they aren't afraid to throw their weight around and hurt the opposition either. Even Casboult is capable of splitting open a pack or flattening an oncoming player if he has his brain in gear.

I'm very pleased to see that we have assembled this platoon and always maintain that you can never  have too many of that type in your team. Genuine ball users and key link players like Gibbs, Murphy & Judd will relish the protection they should now receive plus there will no doubt be a few opposition players who will take a short-step or two when any of the "Hitmen" are within their vicinity.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Our Horrible Hitmen

Reply #1
Wish Kreuzer would add this element to his game. He needs to play nasty, it could take him to another level.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
Wish Kreuzer would add this element to his game. He needs to play nasty, it could take him to another level.

Agree.. The only aggression Ive seen him apply was in the collingwood game last year when he tackled Jolly and put him out for 6 weeks..  Not to say he doesn't attack the ball hard, but if he used his aggression to hit bodies hard, he would be a lot more affective..  He never seems to get fired up..  He plays at once pace..

Reply #3
Kreuzer isn't a softy. If he didn't give us as much push and shove last season he will this season if his body is up to it. He has never been soft and has offered blocking space at the clearances and isn't a gentle tackle either. Before people slam him to death here it might pay to watch some of his past games. He has offered well more than Warnock and Hammer ever did with their bodies at ground level.

It appears if you get injured and struggle in you footy, the wolves will quickly exit the safe haven of the forest to launch an attack in numbers. Intensity across the board with many of our players has made us appear soft at times. Gibbs, Yarran and others appear to get away with it because an outside mid allows this style of play, or a small half back flanker. Get picked at number 1 and be a ruck and you will be smashed from pillar to post all day if you don't win every game off your own boot.

I wish we never picked him to be honest. At least at another club he would be given some time to get his body right, and his work rate would be questioned far less than it ever is here. Trade him off for something better. Swap him for Jamar, and see what the difference will be. Ooops, hang on another number 1 pick like Watts. Doesn't he just go ultra hard at it and rake in the Brownlow votes for his extreme efforts.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4
Bell and Robbo only for me......Cachia isnt a regular player and Zac is better off running the lines and kicking those long goals we all love to watch....more of a wind up merchant is Zac who likes to get under players skins by sledging them.

Robbo is a feral on the field and like a crazy bush pig who doesnt know any other way and Bell likes crunching players by bumping them but  needs to tackle more and concentrate on reducing the amount of times he gets caught with the ball trying to rugby smash his way through packs...worked vs U18 kids but wont work at AFL level unless he gets some new tricks to add to his raw strength.

Reply #5
Kreuzer isn't a softy. If he didn't give us as much push and shove last season he will this season if his body is up to it. He has never been soft and has offered blocking space at the clearances and isn't a gentle tackle either. Before people slam him to death here it might pay to watch some of his past games. He has offered well more than Warnock and Hammer ever did with their bodies at ground level.

LOL as usual Mants sees red.

No he's not a softy at all in fact I reckon his courage is unquestionable, what we're saying is he needs to throw his ample frame about a little bit more, if he's so effective at ground level then he needs to be more physical with the opposition. What player would not sht themselves just a little at the prospect of going in for the ball against an angry Kreuzer?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
PI2C.

Not at your comment, but yes I do see red, when Dirty Harry claims he has only seen Kreuzer tackle Jolly, once in his footy career as a tough or aggressive act. Really ? Once is the number of times you have seen him go in at a player with intension to take them out of the contest. Really ? Once only against Collingwood ? Maybe Dirty needs to see Specsavers, as I have seen him shove himself into an opponent plenty of times. He has laid more than a few tough tackles. He has knocked mids off their feet quite a number of times. Sure he doesn't do it often enough for his size. Yes it would be a scary sight being taken out by a fella his size. To claim he has only ever been tough or aggressive once is a blind observation.

I will defend this guy until he comes good which he will. Dirty Harry, bad call. terrible call in fact. I just realised you must have only seen 2 or 3 of his games, so if you haven't seen them all ignore my response. Go back and watch every minute of every game he has played, and you are more than welcome to come back with an apology. ;D
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #7

x2.

Robinson is a spastic but I love it, his intensity and aggression I think outweighs his stuff ups and everyone feeds off it. But I think no matter how many "hitmen" we have we are still stuck in reaction mode and have no idea how to impose ourselves and take the initiative in terms of physicality. This has to change against the big boys.

Reply #8
Don't know how many have noticed but when Kreuzer tackles you you stay tackled! The man is the hardest tackler at the club and does so relentlessly when he is fit.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #9
Developing a small band of predatory players is key to our success but we can't get too negative. There needs to be a balance, but I like what I'm seeing right now.

Reply #10

Exactly... He's way too 'nice' out there on the field.
Would love to see him bursting packs apart ot taking crunching contested marks.

Reply #11
We just need our boys to develope a steely resolve.  Too often in the past we go into our shells when things get hard.  I think Malthouse is improving this aspect of our players and I think we saw it most in B. Gibbs last season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Good call there Thry re Gibbs. He found an inner predator-mode at times and seemed to relish cleaning blokes up on the couple of occasions I recall it happening. First time I have noticed that type of attitude from the Gibber since he came to the club.