Skip to main content
Topic: Melbourne Cup (Read 12186 times) previous topic - next topic

Melbourne Cup

We usually have a thread ::)

Who won.
Not the race....amongst the punters :D
I got a third....which went a third of the way to me breaking even on the day. :(

Seems it's taken a sad turn with the favourite collapsing and dying after the race and Araldo being spooked by a spectator and breaking a bone in his leg.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8925920

Re: Melbourne Cup

Reply #1
Sounds like it was a fun day at the races.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Edelston didn't? Really! Well, that was something you don't see every day.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
I just got back from flemington

I picked the winner C:-)

Reply #5
Damn those Germans. :))

So sad what happened with Admire Rakti. I had it going for a small fortune in Caulfield/Melbourne Cup doubles but concerned for my money I am not. Poor thing must've had a distressful last few minutes. Araldo is also fighting for his life as we speak after getting spooked by a flag and kicking out and fracturing his leg.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
So sad what happened with Admire Rakti.

It will be interesting to learn the results of the autopsy. Hopefully it was just a freak accident and nothing sinister has been at play here.

It was funny (peculiar) in retrospect....but the horse played up just before it went into the barrier and then as they were leading it up it stopped "dead"...... it was as if it didn't want to run.
Happens all the time.. but with the benefit of hindsight!

Looks like Araldo has gone too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-04/admire-rakti-collapses-and-dies-after-melbourne-cup/5865932

Reply #8
Apparently those fools were warned about waving the flag around the horses. Fking pissed idiots and now the horse is gone.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
Personally as an animal lover and foster carer of racing Greyhounds, I'm heartbroken by today's deaths. Whilst I cannot lay blame with surety at this stage there is a clear indication that these deaths should have been avoided.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #10
Personally as an animal lover and foster carer of racing Greyhounds, I'm heartbroken by today's deaths. Whilst I cannot lay blame with surety at this stage there is a clear indication that these deaths should have been avoided.

I'm with you JK..not a real fan of horse racing and in particular jumps racing should be banned.
2 miles in the heat with someone onboard whipping your Ar$e or getting close to it near the finish line isnt my idea of an animal enjoying him/herself.
My brother in law owned and trained pacers and racing is to corruption as the Essendon Football club is to performance enhancing drugs,  he had to get out of it because it was so fixed.....the punter never wins because the industry is bent and the animals are just used up...but because its an Industry that turns over a lot of money it will never change.

Reply #11
I am sure I will be howled down but why do we have a public holiday for a horse race? The AFL grand final means more to people I think than a horse race but no holiday for that.

Reply #12
Money is the route of all evil, no doubt.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #13
It looks like there will a bit of a debate over "animal mistreatment" in the next few days.
Some of the "animal rights" organisations have taken up the call already.

While I appreciate and respect the views of those who believe the Sport can be a bit cruel and dodgy as EB points out.... it is also a pretty substantial contributor to the economy of the various states through tourism and gambling revenue, provides many jobs and is governed by fairly strict rules regarding the health and vetting of the participants.
It's not going anywhere.

The Araldo situation appears to have had nothing to do with horse mistreatment but rather a bit of "costly"stupidity on the part of spectators, and an autopsy will determine whether Admire Rakti had a pre-existing condition or something more sinister.

This situation, with two horses succumbing, isn't the norm.....but rather the exception.

Reply #14
I am sure I will be howled down but why do we have a public holiday for a horse race? The AFL grand final means more to people I think than a horse race but no holiday for that.

I'll fall for the trap ;D

Is that because it's on a Saturday? ;)