Skip to main content
Topic: Melbourne Cup (Read 12228 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Melbourne Cup

Reply #15
Ask the Queen how she  views the industry of horses in racing and how they deal with the issue.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #16
I am sure I will be howled down but why do we have a public holiday for a horse race? The AFL grand final means more to people I think than a horse race but no holiday for that.

I'll fall for the trap ;D

Is that because it's on a Saturday? ;)

Simple explanation but spot on.

It is called the race that stops the nation and I dare say there's a fair few more watching it than the GF. BTW it's only a holiday in Melbourne as well.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
Not everybody in horse racing is crooked or cruel, we would not judge all of the AFL by EFC actions, and we shouldn't judge horse racing by these events. It's tragedy written in the faces of the stable hands and racing animal welfare people, most of them love horses which is how they got involved in the industry.

I agree with EB1 about the whip, it's use is banned or restricted in several locations around the globe, and that ban has had zero impact on the welfare of the jockeys. So there is no good reason for it not to happen here, it's inevitable so get on with it.

Racing two and three year olds is too much, I would be interested to see the stats for the horse deaths after endurance races going back to post war years. I suspect a lot of participants were older and more durable, so yesterday's event might be even rarer, but I admit doping and lack of detection methods may have been a bigger issue back then.

As for the other incident, letting crowds near million dollar horses is a recipe of disaster and it's proven to be the case yet again. That is a needless death, putting horse, jockey and handlers at risk, that just should not happen in something "professional"! If a factory put workers at risk in that unnecessary manner the directors would be jail bound at the first proof of an incident!

Finally, if I recall vets were not happy with Admire Rakti just a few weeks back, perhaps yesterday could have been avoided if vets and officials had less accountability to owners, punters or clubs and sole accountability to the animals.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
That was Bande they were unhappy with LP and it was a joke. The horse has a weird gait and they wouldn't let it run in the Caulfield Cup because they said it was injured. Moron stewards.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #19
I am sure I will be howled down but why do we have a public holiday for a horse race? The AFL grand final means more to people I think than a horse race but no holiday for that.

I think the Opposition here in Vic have flagged a public holiday for the Friday before the GF. Maybe that's what Sir SPF was referring to.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
Apparently those fools were warned about waving the flag around the horses. Fking pissed idiots and now the horse is gone.
For the record, it was a young boy who was waving the flag, not a pissed idiot.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
Apparently those fools were warned about waving the flag around the horses. Fking pissed idiots and now the horse is gone.

Not what I heard mate. The bloke was told to stop his wife from waving the flag in front of the horses. This person went and had a go at the bloke and he had this stupid smug smile on his face. Of course he was drinking. Who else does dumb sht like wave a flag in the horses face after repeatedly being told to stop? What else could drive this person to have a smug look of satisfaction on their face after the incident? Typical nobhead VB behaviour. I mean why bring a flag to the races anyway FFS. Only someone who is blind drunk could see the funny side of the horse getting spooked and snapping it's leg on a fence.

This from a Facebook poster:  

from racegoer re flag

I was 5m from here and they were told off before the melb cup by security for raising the flag then did it again as the horses came back spooking Araldo. He went back into the bushes and you could hear him bang his leg then he was limping. Dunn gave them a really bad look. Security came later and took the flag away. I had a go at him and his 5ft tall wife who is on his shoulders but he didnt give a stuff. Had this smug look on his face.

That is not a kid she has an ear ring and tits for starters. Just a bogan pisshead that would be better off in a pub. Save that stupid drunken sht for the local.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #22

I think the Opposition here in Vic have flagged a public holiday for the Friday before the GF. Maybe that's what Sir SPF was referring to.

Would do wonders for the economy that one.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
Its an unfortunate accident in both cases.

Mind you, statistically I would assume that incidence of death would not be that great (race to death ratio).

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24

Not what I heard mate. The bloke was told to stop his wife from waving the flag in front of the horses. This person went and had a go at the bloke and he had this stupid smug smile on his face. Of course he was drinking. Who else does dumb sht like wave a flag in the horses face after repeatedly being told to stop? What else could drive this person to have a smug look of satisfaction on their face after the incident? Typical nobhead VB behaviour. I mean why bring a flag to the races anyway FFS. Only someone who is blind drunk could see the funny side of the horse getting spooked and snapping it's leg on a fence.

This from a Facebook poster:  

from racegoer re flag

I was 5m from here and they were told off before the melb cup by security for raising the flag then did it again as the horses came back spooking Araldo. He went back into the bushes and you could hear him bang his leg then he was limping. Dunn gave them a really bad look. Security came later and took the flag away. I had a go at him and his 5ft tall wife who is on his shoulders but he didnt give a stuff. Had this smug look on his face.

That is not a kid she has an ear ring and tits for starters. Just a bogan pisshead that would be better off in a pub. Save that stupid drunken sht for the local.
I heard a different report on SEN this morning. They were speaking to some racing commentator (forgot his name) and he said it was a young boy (implying pre drinking age) who would be feeling pretty horrible and sick today over the incident. Mixed reports I guess. If it was a drunk yahoo, agree they dont belong at the track and more controls need to be put in place.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Spot on bro.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27
Anyone remember Show day?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #28
Hey yeah good point! WTF happened to Show Day??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!