Skip to main content
Topic: Warne on Steve Waugh (Read 7690 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Warne on Steve Waugh

Reply #15
@Mav

Very true.......as Paul Keating once quipped, "Never under-estimate the power of self-interest".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
The comment from Warne was that he was selfish!
What other player said he was?
Waugh is certainly not Australia's best ever captain but he did instill a win every test mentality. I am not sure what else he is meant to do?
Warne clearly hates being told what to do, or that he's not up to it, which at that time, recovering from injury, he wasn't.
To label Steve Waugh selfish?
Warne could have been a tennis player with his sense if self worth

Crash Craddock has a commentary on the whole issue in today's, it's been widely reported before so there is no need to debate it. Courier Mail;

Excerpts;
Steve may have been a teenage glamour boy of cricket but beneath the Boy Wonder headlines lay a steely but nervous blue collar warrior who he had to fight for everything he had.

As a consequence he became protective, insecure, and paranoid as he took his first steps in the wider, fiercely competitive world of professional sport.

One rival remembers Waugh saying “it’s okay for you, I am trying to make a living out of this’’ during an early game after he took the plunge to play full time.

Unlike, say, Ricky Ponting, Steve was not eased into an Australian team who was trampling the world and simply joined the party.

He was tossed in as a gifted but unworldly teenager in the mid-1980s where the Australian team was like 11 men on a life raft fighting a bitter battle for survival.

Was he selfish? Of course. Most were. In troubled times, who is the first person you look after?

Was he more selfish than most? Perhaps – but he grew.

Waugh never admitted this but it always looked as if he realised how selfish he was and that the way to overcome it was to invest himself in emerging players like Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer.

Hi did once concede “you realise there is so much of the game that you are not involved in so you must learn to appreciate other people’s success.’’
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Warne is a big mouth, always has been and unfortunately is completely self absorbed.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #19
But as Cookie points out, it's true of any organisation, even ones with a mission which you'd think would unite its personnel.  Just about every organisation looks shiny and monolithic from the outside until you zoom in and see what's actually happening inside.

Just look at the police, as an example.  It's easy to think of them as a brotherhood.  But then you read the stories about bullying and even rape within the ranks and high-level machinations which would make Machiavelli blanche.  In Victoria, Assistant Commissioner Ashby and the head of the police union, Paul Mullett, beat perjury charges arising out of a move they made on the then Commissioner of Police.  When you throw in the more garden-variety corrupt relationships between some police and drug dealers, even the suggestions that some bent police helped assassinate some informers who were under police protection, it doesn't seem to be such a monolithic brotherhood.

Mate I've always said Vic Pol the second most corrupt organisation in the world behind FIFA. Only the naive can't see that! :P (I don't mean you)

Why, then, would it be a surprise that any elite sporting team would be as fractured and factional?  After all, any success one of the team has works to the disadvantage of one or more of those competing for spots and there will always be those who would prefer individual over team success.  How many footy players have done what Warnie did - trying to force their way into the team for a big game in the hope that they'll be able to rise to the occasion despite injuries or injury layoffs rather than with any real confidence that they will be able to do so?

I think football is unique in the way that it is very much a team sport whereas cricket could be viewed as an individual's game (even though played within a team).
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
x2
I love Warnies commentary on matches but the crap he spews away from the commentary box really undoes all that good work.

Sad and unfortunately too true.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!