Skip to main content
Topic: Next Flag: Carlton or St Kilda? (Read 4728 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next Flag: Carlton or St Kilda?

Reply #30
Utterly meaningless LP.  I'd be ashamed to claim it

Reply #31
Caro smashed our rebuild, coach(Bolton)recruiting and the admin, thinks we are more on track under Liddle though.
Warren Tredrea who wanted to come to Carlton pre salary cap breach said we have a good spine in the making but nothing in the middle to support Cripps and what we do have is too many light bodies.

I think we are better placed than Stkilda long term but need to import some bigger classier mids to support Cripps to take advantage of Curnow, McKay, McGovern and now Martin.

Reply #32
Caro smashed our rebuild, coach(Bolton)recruiting and the admin, thinks we are more on track under Liddle though.
Warren Tredrea who wanted to come to Carlton pre salary cap breach said we have a good spine in the making but nothing in the middle to support Cripps and what we do have is too many light bodies.

I think we are better placed than Stkilda long term but need to import some bigger classier mids to support Cripps to take advantage of Curnow, McKay, McGovern and now Martin.

Yep, I saw the Tredrea & Co discussion and it was hard to argue with the points they made. If Silvagni had been successful at snagging at least 2 of Coniglio, Kelly, Smith, Rockcliff and so on then I reckon we'd be very serious for a tilt next year and beyond. But my aunt doesn't have knackers so she remains my aunt.

Fingers crossed we go hard and heavy this year for quality, big bodied mids.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
Maybe, I'm sure the winners will spin it however they like but if it's a half-ar5ed competition it won't come with the same respect!

While we are on the topic...
Bombers have 16 flags....just like us.
However, 2 of those flags come with an asterisk from a mickey mouse competition.
Off the top of my head, 1897 and 1925 are the 2 years that no grand final was played (top of the ladder wins it IIRC) and they are the only 2 to ever be awarded without a grand final being played....and Bombers won them both.

So IF for some strange reason we do win it, we are still owed one. ;)

As long as the bombers don't.

Reply #34
1897 and 1924. In the former, the top four teams played each other once, and the team with the best record after those 3 games was the premier. Some time after this, the VFL adopted something resembling our current finals and GF system. For whatever reason, in 1924 they decided to experiment with the setup, and reverted to the pre 1897 system of the top 4 teams playing each other once. Richmond beat Essendon in the last scheduled final, but still won the flag, owing to a superior record in those final 3 matches.

Notwithstanding all of that, opposition supporters will always try to discredit flags of other teams, no matter what system is in place. They should all stand and be left as they are.

Reply #35
1897 and 1924. In the former, the top four teams played each other once, and the team with the best record after those 3 games was the premier. Some time after this, the VFL adopted something resembling our current finals and GF system. For whatever reason, in 1924 they decided to experiment with the setup, and reverted to the pre 1897 system of the top 4 teams playing each other once. Richmond beat Essendon in the last scheduled final, but still won the flag, owing to a superior record in those final 3 matches.

Notwithstanding all of that, opposition supporters will always try to discredit flags of other teams, no matter what system is in place. They should all stand and be left as they are.
Essendon won by percentage, as both Richmond and Essendon had 2 wins apiece.
Essendon then played a game against the VFA premiers, Footscray. Footscray obliterated them, and no, not all of Essendon's team was drunk. One of the reasons Hawthorn and the Dogs got an invite to the VFL.
That one, more than any other, is the dodgiest premiership ever. Even dodgier than the 1916 flag in WWI. There were 4 teams playing only. Carlton lost 2 games for the season. Fitzroy won 2 and drew one. We met in the GF and were beaten. The availability of players, especially during the finals, was very dodgy. Very dodgy, as well as the fact as there were no bench players at all.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
Essendon then played a game against the VFA premiers, Footscray. Footscray obliterated them, and no, not all of Essendon's team was drunk. One of the reasons Hawthorn and the Dogs got an invite to the VFL.
That one, more than any other, is the dodgiest premiership ever. Even dodgier than the 1916 flag in WWI. There were 4 teams playing only. Carlton lost 2 games for the season. Fitzroy won 2 and drew one. We met in the GF and were beaten. The availability of players, especially during the finals, was very dodgy. Very dodgy, as well as the fact as there were no bench players at all.
Fitzroy finished last winning the wooden spoon then won the flag!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37

It's a great general knowledge question that one... who won a VFL Premiership yet received the wooden spoon in the same year, and what year was it?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
It's a great general knowledge question that one... who won a VFL Premiership yet received the wooden spoon in the same year, and what year was it?

Fitzroy, 1916.