Skip to main content
Topic: BB Code (Read 12976 times) previous topic - next topic

BB Code

Is someone looking at the BB Code side of the forum?
A couple of nice little tweaks could really help such as including borders in table or header fields so that a table can take on a nicer looks.

Also there are a number of other nice little options that can be added in minutes without a great deal of difficulty to sexy up the forum.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Re: BB Code

Reply #1
On a Non related matter, tell you what would be fantastic at high volume times like this ......a CSC phone app that scrolls latest posts & allows you reply to them !

(I have very poor iOS app developing skills BTW.....in case you're wondering)
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #2
I think an rss style feed would even do it.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #3
Tapatalk is an option.

I agree re sprucing it up a little, give the keys to MIO for a day and see what he can do. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
There are lots of features already built into Simple Machines but you have to keep it manageable and secure. I'd rather have Spanner keep it reliable and lean than have it looking flash and falling over frequently.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I agree LP in that it needs to be done by the mod/admins here.
But this forum is already better than the last and one of the benefits should be just some extra features, not talking about tearing the house down.

Just a simple mod such as this
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=527734.0

Would allow tables to look like the following

http://futxchange.com/testforum/index.php?topic=2.0

The one I done there was actually using the  tag this site has disabled, it does so with a decent reason regarding vulnerabilities it can introduce, but expanding on the abilities to alter layouts a little isn't going to break anything, isn't introducing all sorts of risk (which the straight out  tag could or anything major.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #6
Tapatalk is an option.

I agree re sprucing it up a little, give the keys to MIO for a day and see what he can do. ;)

We have tried to implement Tapatalk before, I am very keen on that. Will see what we can do.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #7
These things are beyond the comprehension of myself.
I can delete, ban and merge and play around with colours.....but we obviously have a bit of expertise here.
We should use it.

What we might do is have a discussion among the mod/admin team as to how best to put some of these ideas into practice.
One idea would be to maybe have a tech sub-forum for those with the knowledge to work these ideas through and make suggestions.

Reply #8
hey, view a lot, don't post too much.

I'd be looking at applying a responsive theme, then it can adapt to screen/device size. There are some cheap phpBB responsive themes out there, but has to be some free ones too, haven't looked too much.  Eliminates the need for tapatalk or other mobile apps.   I can help with this if needed....

Going responsive though, means it's best to eliminate tables, unless they're styled on percentage and not fixed width... which was the original point of this post.

My two cents. take it easy.

Reply #9
So revisiting once more.

Looking at Twitter and there is a great video of Jack getting told he was nominated for a Rising Star Award.
It would be great to see us move forward (rather than risk being left behind) and still incorporate some of these things.

If no one can add modules for Twitter etc, then some basic BBCode would still do the trick.

Here is the embed code for the Silvagni video

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en">
<p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s the moment @jacksilvagni was told he&#39;d won a Rising Star nomination. #BoundByBlue pic.twitter.com/PLHkNJ4fkG</p>&mdash; Carlton FC (@CarltonFC) June 19, 2017
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Big footy has a module built in that allows you to just take the ID (in this case 876745102772781057) to embed the tweet.

Most of us have been coming here for years and love chatting footy and want the place to keep going, but it feels at times feel very 'old' (imo)

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #10

I'll take it to the staff meeting. ;)
One of the problems we have is that there is so much more competition these days.
The Silvagni video was on facebook...it was just a simple share then to the various supporter groups.

Reply #11
Yeah and you can share it from Facebook to here as well, in the same way as from Twitter.
Just need to add a plug in or (if it is easy to edit the BBCode) then write something to simply allow these shares.

With the club and all  the players on social media, it feels like we are behind if we are not there also.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #12
I'm all for this, just need to make it as easy as possible to share stuff like this.  I work in IT support.....all day...every day, but honestly I don't want  to be stuffing around with code out of work hours.....I've had enough of it by then !!

Make it easy & people will use it.

(I'd love to see a phone app as well....but that's a whole other story !)
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #13
I'm happy to see a controlled forum upgrade as long as sharing and cross posting don't come with any caveats or hooks like Ads or contact sharing.

I've heard some sites get forced into Google, Facebook, etc, etc, requirements to share promotional material as part of the license to cross post. I'm assuming the big boys only enforce this if a site garnishes enough traffic.

A big plus for this forum is that you do not get bombarded with spam from joining, it would be nice to stay this way!

So while I agree I'd like to see some upgraded functionality, I understand the hooks that can come with it.

I also understand the extra effort required to manage and moderate a site that openly links video from Facebook or Twitter type services. So to the Mods I would say consider this very carefully.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Ads and the likes are 'opt ins' and not something that the site needs to look at/consider at all.
Sharing of videos is something that can easily be done on most platforms.

With regards to the extra moderation, this is talking about small steps to allow integration of Social Media and as such I can't see any extra effort from a  moderation perspective.

Especially in the context of what I have here. Big Footy (for example) has a module to allow Twitter posts/media to be embedded.

Contact sharing is not really relevant to this either, not sure where you are coming from there.

Goals for 2017
=============