Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Post Game Prognostications (Read 30095 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Post Game Prognostications

Reply #45
I think Voss and the players have demonstrated a pretty good understanding of damage limitation, of grit and determination, of defensive structures and staying in the contest when things aren't going your way, but I think today's game has given us an idea of the gap that still exists between us and the best.

There isn't a gap, we were completely buggered and banged up after a very long run. Any side would look good then. If we finished 6th, hence got a much softer run through we'd be playing next week. Sydney and Melbourne were always going to be brutal, contested games. Not so much the other way. Last week for GWS, v Port, was near bruise free in the context of a final.

Reply #46
There isn't a gap, we were completely buggered and banged up after a very long run. Any side would look good then. If we finished 6th, hence got a much softer run through we'd be playing next week. Sydney and Melbourne were always going to be brutal, contested games. Not so much the other way. Last week for GWS, v Port, was near bruise free in the context of a final.

So if we had to play GWS in or the Saints it would have ended any different. We lost against GWS if I remember. It wasn’t about the run in. Eventually you lose to a better squad. Pick 6 players from the Brisbane squad you would swap for our squad. If the result is Nill, then we lost by being too tired or just by bad luck. We did well to get the result we finished with.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #47
There really isn't a gap.
This is already a premiership capable side...
Our best players are in their prime.
Another year for our young players like Hollands and Motlop
Injured players like Williams and Silvagni thereabouts and available
Plenty of competition for spots and versatility to throw players around when needed.
Some good solid finals experience behind us, when just about all players stood up at one stage or another.
Get that top 4 spot next year, and don't have to travel.
Home and hosed ;)  ;D

Reply #48
Plenty of competition for spots and versatility to throw players around when needed.
Some good solid finals experience behind us, when just about all players stood up at one stage or another.
Home and hosed ;)  ;D
Sounds easy.

Let’s go! BLUES 2024!!!

Reply #49
I wanted us to turn up ready to play, have a red hot go and not give up. I am happy with the effort. I think we lack a bit of leg speed, our two midfielders with a bit of pace, Dow and Fisher are out of favour and probably leaving the Club, our small forwards need to be more dangerous and both kick more goals and set up more goals, and our disposal and decision-making coming out of defence needs to improve.
We have finished third which is a remarkable effort considering where we were mid season but we really should have finished top four so we don't have to play interstate finals. We have never won an interstate final so we should do everything we can to avoid them.
Brisbane's midfield got on top, Lachie Neal was sensational, their defence rebounded brilliantly and their forwards were always dangerous.
We are now a side you can follow and it is good we are disappointed with finishing third. Improve our list, improve our skills and improve our team's connectivity. That's the challenge for 2024.

Reply #50
Home and hosed ;)  ;D

No gap then. We must have the equal best squad. How did we get beaten up in 3 quarters of football. Sure e did well to limit the damage. However we might have only limited the damage. Same squad and the same result at the MCG in my opinion. We need a couple of skilled small forwards. Another mid with genuine speed. Another speedster defender and a ruck with strength. We are not closer to a flag before we address these issues. We either develop the stock we have or find a few new guys that have physical capabilities. We looked far weaker than our opponent tonight. They look physically bigger in body mass. Just an observation. As an average over most positions.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #51
What size is the Gabba? Looks close to the MCG?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #52
I think in hindsight, if they were all fit, Motlop over Owies was a mistake, we needed a small forward with enough pace to impact the overlap run, and Motlop just doesn't have it, or if he has it he doesn't use it. Early on, we also missed smalls at the fall of the ball, lots and lots of opportunities cleaned up by the Lions, I thought it was stupidity Martin and Motlop flying with Harry and Charlie and the Lions just sweeping the pill away, we could have been ten goals up at quarter time with sensible fundamentals of roving to Harry and Charlie, 9 out of 10 times the ball is coming to ground if they don't mark it, and we were hardly there at the fall.

Our lack of leg speed exposed our midfield, although I doubt we were 100% fit, but then at this time of year who is.

I though Harry and Charlie were OK, they both worked hard but our delivery to them wasn't the best. We still continue to put the footy on the heads of team-mates too much.

Subbing Fogarty for Kennedy was probably a concession that we got selection wrong, but maybe Kennedy was also a concession about the fitness of some of the players we took into the game.

I was a bit surprised by how much we panicked with the footy, missing too many targets by hand or foot, even when clear.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
What size is the Gabba? Looks close to the MCG?
I think normally the Gabba is the shortest ground in the AFL, but I heard Voss say there was extra space on the ground tonight so I don't know what that means.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
We've played hard games apart from one against GWS for many weeks.
Brisbane were rested and primed.
Several of our players have injuries that will likely see them in hospital in the coming week.
Our only chance was to hit them hard early, they were able to absorb that and then hit back...we rolled the dice and then ran out of steam.
It was never about attitude, effort and ability...it was always about coping physically...and eventually we reached the tipping point.
Ability wise this team is as good as any in the competition.

Reply #55
You know we had them worried.  They brought out the knuckle and tunnelling in the second quarter.  We stood up to it ok, but conceded too many goals in the second. 

I think if we could change anything in that game would be the ability to endure in that adversity and not concede.

Never mind.  The windiw is open.  2024 is a year we can feel good about winning a flag.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Through the lens of a side that was 4-1-8 not that long ago, we have gotten far more out of this season that anyone could ever have imagined.   Sets up a fantastic pillar for 2024 and beyond.

The learning we have to absorb is the difference when we take the game on.    First 20 minutes and most of the last quarter, we ran hard together, and dared to win.  In the middle bit, we were stodgy and reactionary, and totally got our comeuppance.   And any time we come up against sides with fast-running half-backs who set up play, we are in trouble (Coleman and McKenna completely owned us tonight), we need some harder working half-forwards who do not let this happen.

But we have certainly proved we are there or thereabouts, and I can't help thinking that if that game is at the MCG, we turn the tables.

Disappointed, but wrapped that we are relevant once again.......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #57
Everyone has pretty much summed it up well. We made great progress from where we were. We found system and belief in each other. Big tick. G&D will get you only  so far, however. My key observations in no particular order:
1  Reward for effort.  We continue to bomb it in to the forward line and hope the tall forwards will do the rest. We rarely lower the eyes and deliver the ball low and to a leading forward.
2. We have few players that can deliver 1) above. We need more skilled, pacey players in the midfield. Players that can change direction and break lines.  And hit the scoreboard
3. Need a classy small forward or 2.  Owies, Motlop etc won't win you a flag.
4. Another rebounding defender with pace.  Otherwise backline in good shape.
5. Whilst I'm doing my wish list, try and find a young "needle mover". He might not be the most consistent player on your list but he is dynamic. Think DeGoey. Without him, the Pies lose the other night IMO.
That's it, not too much to ask now is it?

Reply #58
No point some complaining about Charlie or H in finals of all of a sudden it is OK to tunnel and take the legs out of KPPs.

We are lucky we still have Charlie for 2024 after last night!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Only saw the first quarter and was frustrated by the delivery into F50: too many long bombs onto blokes' heads, smalls flying against talls and not on the deck doing their job.  Motlop is evasive but too slow and dropping Owies was a mistake IMO as he creates space. Should have been eight up at quarter time.  Then the dam broke.  If we'd pinched it next week could have potentially been embarassing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?