Skip to main content
Topic: Pass Mark 2015 (Read 66006 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pass Mark 2015

Reply #180
North are a professional outfit who get the best out of their limited resources.
And to be honest, this is the one area that has disappointed me about MM since he arrived. I expected him to get more out of more of the blokes with limited talent. I suppose Rowe has turned things around and some others have improved but I expected more. Perhaps its just that some of the blokes we had/have with limited talent just arent up to it (you know the old saying about strawberry jam and pig s#it).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #181
I'm not sure that we can give Malthouse credit for player improvement, or blame him for lack of development.  It hasn't been part of our culture and I don't think our coaching panel is set up to get the most out of our list.  Even though we're not into 'quick fixes', it seems that we are focussed more on bringing in fringe players than developing those we already have.

At odds with that is our success in getting blokes like Setanta, Tuohy, Sheehan and even Hammer to be at least competitive at AFL level.  Whoever has worked with those blokes should be given a bigger role.

Of course, other clubs have structures that enable them to get away with blokes who lack a little polish.  Our set up enables other clubs to exploit our skill or decision-making errors.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #182
North are a professional outfit who get the best out of their limited resources.
And to be honest, this is the one area that has disappointed me about MM since he arrived. I expected him to get more out of more of the blokes with limited talent. I suppose Rowe has turned things around and some others have improved but I expected more. Perhaps its just that some of the blokes we had/have with limited talent just arent up to it (you know the old saying about strawberry jam and pig s#it).

He can only work with what he's got, and our abysmal record at the national draft over two decades means he doesn't have much.
Last year he brought in Everitt, Docherty and Thomas who are all walk up starts, and even rookie listing Wood now looks like a good call, but filling a team with quality players isn't a one or two year project.
Unless some of our draft picks start making the grade we'll still be behind the eight ball.
Murphy, Walker, Gibbs, Yarran and Kreuzer are all very good players but they were all high picks, after we get to pick 10 or so we get into Lucas, Bootsma, Watson and Russell territory and you'll never build a Premiership team out of them.
Our second and third round picks have been a litany of failure for longer than I care to remember, Simmo in 2002 was the last good player we got outside the first round and he's no world beater.
I think Malthouse is the right man for the job but he can't work miracles.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.