Skip to main content
Topic: Pass Mark 2015 (Read 66170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pass Mark 2015

Reply #76
Pass mark = Premiership

So 2015 will be a fail then.
So you are assuming we wont win it as at 11 January 2015. If we will the flag however its not a fail. Right this very minute, everyone has zero wins, zero losses and zero draws. IMO we are all even despite what the bookies say.
Why do players put themselves through rigorous pre seasons?
Why do the coaches plan and prepare with an almost fanatical attitude?
Why do the recruiters look for that hidden gem or that trade that will fill another piece in the jig saw puzzle?
Why do the boards try and appoint the best staff possible?
The answer to all the above is to win a flag.
If we don't win the flag in 2015, 2016, 2017 etc, yes its a fail, it always is. To me, this question has only one answer, if you ACCEPT anything less, you will never improve enough to achieve the ultimate goal. The sooner this mindset is adopted, the sooner 17 will be in the cabinet in the foyer at PP. If you don't have this mindset, you are conceding before you even start, then you may as well go and play tiddlywinks. When MM came along, he said "there should be no limits". I think the group was too immature to understand exactly what he meant at the time. I think they are starting to get it though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
I understand your thinking and can't argue with you. I do however think we will fail to win a flag in 2015. Probably get close in 2016 and 2017 might just be the year it happens. Lets hope I am too pessimistic in trying to be a realist.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #78
Pass mark = Premiership

So 2015 will be a fail then.
So you are assuming we wont win it as at 11 January 2015. If we will the flag however its not a fail. Right this very minute, everyone has zero wins, zero losses and zero draws. IMO we are all even despite what the bookies say.
Why do players put themselves through rigorous pre seasons?
Why do the coaches plan and prepare with an almost fanatical attitude?
Why do the recruiters look for that hidden gem or that trade that will fill another piece in the jig saw puzzle?
Why do the boards try and appoint the best staff possible?
The answer to all the above is to win a flag.
If we don't win the flag in 2015, 2016, 2017 etc, yes its a fail, it always is. To me, this question has only one answer, if you ACCEPT anything less, you will never improve enough to achieve the ultimate goal. The sooner this mindset is adopted, the sooner 17 will be in the cabinet in the foyer at PP. If you don't have this mindset, you are conceding before you even start, then you may as well go and play tiddlywinks. When MM came along, he said "there should be no limits". I think the group was too immature to understand exactly what he meant at the time. I think they are starting to get it though.

Hawks were giving away good players for draft picks in the early 00s. They had to think they weren't going to be going well short term as well as accept it. They go okay now.

Reply #79
The club is talking the list up and I've already set my expectations at a Flag, so there is only one way to go.

Undefeated Flag! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
The club is talking the list up and I've already set my expectations at a Flag, so there is only one way to go.

Undefeated Flag! ;)

I have lowered my expectations a little bit from you LP,
I want a repeat of '95, I'm happy with a couple of losses ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #81
I understand your thinking and can't argue with you. I do however think we will fail to win a flag in 2015. Probably get close in 2016 and 2017 might just be the year it happens. Lets hope I am too pessimistic in trying to be a realist.  ;)

We don't have enough top class players to win a flag, it's really that simple.
You can go a long way getting the maximum out of your B Graders but unless you've got a core of four or five genuine A Graders you're pissing into the wind, and we don't have them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #82

We don't have enough top class players to win a flag, it's really that simple.
You can go a long way getting the maximum out of your B Graders but unless you've got a core of four or five genuine A Graders you're pissing into the wind, and we don't have them.

Probably right, so here is my list of possible A-graders in the next 2-3 years;

Gibbs, Murphy, Thomas, Yarran,

That's 4 only and no Key Position players with Henderson the only likely candidate if he can become more consistent and Matthew Kruezer if he stays fit.

You look at the next generation and Menzel is the most likely, and perhaps Cripps who has shown a bit. While I love Buckley I'm not sure he will become an A-grader. After that it's a lottery.

The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #83
@Blueforlife
Your point is valid. I know it wasn't finals but when the Tiggers strung 9 in a row last year to make finals, did they give a fork about who the opposition was? Did they have enough A graders? Just saying that if you have the right attitude, you can achieve stuff you wouldn't otherwise.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #84
Port Adelaide is a good example of that. They have quite a few good players but not many 'A' graders.
Their coach has them all on the same page. Be interesting to see if he can keep them there ::) ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #85
Port Adelaide is a good example of that. They have quite a few good players but not many 'A' graders.
Their coach has them all on the same page. Be interesting to see if he can keep them there ::) ::)
What he said ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86

There are a few players in the Port Adelaide side I would snap up in a heart beat. They are a well balanced group all with the same playing attitude. A few of their players would be regarded as "A" grade added to our list. Be very interesting to see how they manage to hold on to all of them over the next few years for certain.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #87
I reckon the number of A graders in your team changes the higher up the ladder you finish.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #88
Thomas was A grade but not anymore...struggles to kick 40m and has lost pace IMO...

Reply #89
Thomas was A grade but not anymore...struggles to kick 40m and has lost pace IMO...

Judd was great but it's going to be a year to year proposition. Murphy was doing much more blue collar stuff than tearing sides apart. Would love to see him kicking 30 goals again as well as his defensive work.

Others need to stand up (as always)