Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 6 Carlton v Brisbane-post mortem (Read 47471 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 6 Carlton v Brisbane-post mortem

Reply #60
His skills are ordinary.
It's as if we took the safe option, better an OK player than stuff up another high draft pick.

Not easy for a young bloke to have good skills when they're continually kicking it to crowded places. Only the Hawthorn's and Geelong's can get away with that.

I'd try him forward when Jamison comes back.

Reply #61
I'd chuck him further up the ground where he can use his pace.......except it would be useless as we play everyone behind the ball.He be running and carrying ti to no-one. Nice work Mick!

Agree - is being exposed massively in defence and can't be doing his confidence any good whatsoever.....good on him for not dropping his bundle, but geez, you can't have a chopper like that playing in defence.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #62
Buckley would be one of the first players I would delist.

You would have to give Buckley, and several others, a chance to see what they can do with a decent coach, functional game plan and contemporary structures before thinking about delisting.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
I thought Bell showed some resistance but there was little else.

I don't think Boek has it in him, there was a play where he had to go and instead stood back and let his opponent attack the ball.

Thomas didn't set the world on fire but some nice things which is more than most of last year.

Walker surely must never be allowed near the defensive 50 every again? Gibbs is taking the piss now, just grabs and kicks. Had the choice of handballing to a covered player or an open Judd going into 50 both right infront of him and ignored Judd.

Reply #64
Agree - is being exposed massively in defence and can't be doing his confidence any good whatsoever.....good on him for not dropping his bundle, but geez, you can't have a chopper like that playing in defence.

Definitely not back there. Maybe try him as a small forward. Some kick goals better than they kick to people, other's, like Casboult, in reverse, although he had a beauty today. They way our forward line functioned kicking 4 today would be the equivalent of 8 on another day.

Reply #65
Listened to every post match summary I could. There were some stand-out comments from former players:

"They (us!) didn't seem to be playing with any ...spirit... soul."

'Gibbs and Murphy had only 2 or 3 possessions between them in the last quarter..."

"Not sure how their dysfunctional Board will react..."
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66
Not easy for a young bloke to have good skills when they're continually kicking it to crowded places. Only the Hawthorn's and Geelong's can get away with that.

I'd try him forward when Jamison comes back.

He turns it over under no pressure, maybe he'll improve but he doesn't look like anything special.
Cripps looks well ahead of him, went at pick 13 and is a year younger, I think we should have used pick 7 instead of trading it.
With our drafting history we probably would have picked another dud though.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #67
First game I've gone to this yea.  Took my 4 year old to his first game.  Most of the time it was like watching paint dry.  No flair, no skill, no structure.

Whether we have the players or not, this fear of not playing the corridor is absolutely killing us.  As a bloke behind me said, for the players it's the forbidden zone.

Bell was a good.  Levi was good.  Docherty and Tooooey tried.  Murphy had fifteen touches and was mostly unsighted.  Gibbs got plenty of easy possessions but refused to get his hands dirty.  And every effin forward thrust went via the cape so that if we did mark it we were always on an extreme angle.

Brisbane were terrible.  A slightly better side would have put us away by 10 goals.

Reply #68
Folks can we take the discussion of the coach's future into the Malthouse thread.

While there is a relationship..... we're getting similar comments in both threads and it will just make it easier to conduct a discussion, and for people to make their points and respond, if all that stuff is in the one place.
Thanks.

Reply #69
We would be the laughing stock of the AFL.  All these journos potting him at the moment would be singing his praises and how Carlton have screwed over another coaching legend.

We are the laughing stock of the AFL now.  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
He turns it over under no pressure, maybe he'll improve but he doesn't look like anything special.
Cripps looks well ahead of him, went at pick 13 and is a year younger, I think we should have used pick 7 instead of trading it.
With our drafting history we probably would have picked another dud though.

Mid will always be ahead early. He'll go ok. Young bloke can panic a little in defence. Being thrown into the key position under immense pressure mistakes will be made. If he turns out good, which I think he will eventually, the other two players are then a bonus.

The temptation of 3 good players (hopefully) was a good one for the loss of no picks. Just a drop of 12 places. If you're any good you can easily get a good player at pick 19 if your recruiting is any good.

Re: MM

Reply #71
We would be the laughing stock of the AFL.  All these journos potting him at the moment would be singing his praises and how Carlton have screwed over another coaching legend.

Aren't we already??
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #72
The temptation of 3 good players (hopefully) was a good one for the loss of no picks. Just a drop of 12 places. If you're any good you can easily get a good player at pick 19 if your recruiting is any good.

Yeah, but ours isn't.
Grigg, Hampson, Watson, Bootsma, Bower and Hartlett all went around pick 20, but so did Fyfe.
We could have still stuffed up pick 7 but our chances would have been better.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #73
Walker.... putrid.  Should never play in defence ever again.

Touhy... ditto.  Gave away a heap of goals with stupid mistakes and poor positioning.

Gibbs... did he play today?

Buckley ...  convinced he won't make it unless he can change his body shape dramatically.  Light players are a liability, especially close to goal in defence.

As for Jones... the worlds greatest athlete... trained the house down.... blah blah blah....  can't catch a cold and burns the few chances he gets.  My nomination for the worst player I have since in CFC colours since 1970.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #74
My first and probably last game for the year. Awful, awful, bl00dy awful!

The only thing I can say is there is only one way to go from where we are ATM.
 >:(
Reality always wins in the end.