Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpions (Read 15215 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpions

Reply #45
From late last season and early this season Boekhorst has well. It was only a bit over a month ago people were saying he was a great pick up.

Reply #46
From late last season and early this season Boekhorst has well. It was only a bit over a month ago people were saying he was a great pick up.

They type of player Boeky is, outside runner, means he is better suited to the AFL venues which allow/encourage carrying the ball.

Some of the slop he'd be playing in wouldn't suit his style.

FWIW, i think i've seen him do some pretty hard tackles playing 1's. Certainly not a feature of his game, but its not as if he doesn't have it him.

Reply #47
Nick Graham had 34 touches and 25 tackles.... 25....

That's how you put your hand up for selection.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #48

Considering that the game was one of the most complete disasters I can think of, there are a couple of very interesting things in the stats:
[1] Nick Graham had 25 tackles! Nick has his issues, but wanting to get back into the seniors isn't one of them. Some players an go through a SEASON without getting 25 tackles in total!
[2] Korchek had 42 tap outs. Considering he was up against Spencer, who has a LOT more experience than he has, I reckon Korchek certainly did his job as well as he could at this point.
[3] Weideman had 8 possessions. That suggests our defenders were not total dead losses. That he kicked 4 goals is a problem, but there are certainly some promising signs in that he can be so held considering how often the ball was down his end.
[4] Boekhorst had 10 tackles.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49

Did well in the preseason games but has been ordinary in his attack on the footy and put the handbrake on in a few contests in his senior games IMO..I think he has talent, carries the ball well, can take a big speccy buBolton is a meat and potatoes coach who likes his footy ugly with plenty of salt and I am not sure Boeky can deliver that style of footy every week..
Saying all that there is room for a Brad/Stephen Hill type outside runner in our team who doesnt need to be all of the above but you have to very very good at what you do to be that player...

Reply #50
I read today that Kieran McGuinness has 3 damaged vertebrae. I'd say his playing days are over, much to our disappointment.
I haven't heard anything about Tom Wilson yet, but he was also sent to Epworth.

I also heard that Gallucci has serious shoulder issues that may keep him out for the rest of the year. I don't know how accurate this is. Hopefully the club will tell us about this.

I know injuries are not something that can be controlled, but I do hope someone is looking into the incidents on Sunday. That we can have 2 players dealt with, perhaps their careers terminated, needs a VERY CLOSE look.

What it does for the Blues' list is another issue, and not a good one. A team on the rebuild, and the NBs are one even more than Carlton has been, need some leadership and experience. This is a huge blow towards that, taking out a Captain, an Assistant Coach and one of the guys we were hoping to be worth promoting.

I can only hope these guys can recover soon. They have my best wishes and hopes.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #51

Yep, hard to knock any harder than that. Contrast to quite a few of the other wannabees.....clearly a class above VFL level is Nick.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52

I know injuries are not something that can be controlled, but I do hope someone is looking into the incidents on Sunday. That we can have 2 players dealt with, perhaps their careers terminated, needs a VERY CLOSE look.

Couldn't make it to the game because of Mothers Day commitments which is a bummer as I am just around the corner, but having seen footage of the incidents I didn't think there was malice in either of them.  A bit of a sling to Wilson and a crude bump on McGuinness which I'll concede was reckless but i don't think either was outrageous - just going off the footage which of course isn't like being there.

Reply #53

Yep, hard to knock any harder than that. Contrast to quite a few of the other wannabees.....clearly a class above VFL level is Nick.....

Yes has to attract attention but a fast track at Etihad I don't think is his go.

Reply #54
Great to hear that Nick Graham is going so well and keeping up his pressure for a senior game. We need that kind of attitude if we are to really build the overall quality of our list.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55

Dylan Buckley ZERO tackles.

Reply #56

Is that correct? Thats got to be a record surely. Most in an AFL game is 19 (twice)
Jack Ziebel v Melb this year
Jude Bolton in 2011.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
Is that correct? Thats got to be a record surely. Most in an AFL game is 19 (twice)
Jack Ziebel v Melb this year
Jude Bolton in 2011.

Says 14 tackles on alf.com.au. That sounds more likely - still a very good effort.

Reply #58
You can look at that 25 tackle count a few ways;

- He busted a gut never stopped trying.
 - He is too slow to get to the ball first, so he tackles.
 - He b0rked up a lot of inside ball and tackled the opponent.
 - He had to tackle because nobody else would.

If Alistair "Angry Ant" Clarkson saw a stat like that he would first assume Graham's team-mates were not doing their fair share!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Says 14 tackles on alf.com.au. That sounds more likely - still a very good effort.
The stats differ over what they consider a 'completed tackle'. I do not know what the difference in definition actually is, but it is something that has occurred before. The club considers things more harshly, as it is the effect of the tackle, not the grabbing per se, that is more important. By the club's definition Graham had 14. By the official stats service it was 25. No particular big deal.
The same issue arises for kicks and handballs and even ruck taps, although the difference is not normally so significant. I cannot recall differences of more than a couple before.

LP is right: someone like Clarkson, while happy that Graham had made the tackles, would be more worried about why other midfielders had not made a similar contributions.
Live Long and Prosper!