Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 7: Post Game Pleasure: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 51204 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 7: Post Game Pleasure: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #165
@ Shawny

The Doc is a very level-headed, consistent, dedicated, non-egotistical jet. Those are the blokes that go unnoticed...... But win premierships ;D ;D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #166
Some very negative posters on here 'still' after notching in up 3 in a row.

They say we win ugly and only beat of of form ordinary teams, yet in the last 3 years these so called ordinary sides pumped us along with everyone else - we were the side that even ordinary sides we would play back into form.....Well not this year.

Don't forget where we were at the same stage last year. And still with plenty of upside, so improve in those areas and watch out. We look unified, settled in defence, play to a plan and don't rely on a few stars to get us over the line.

As BB said we are on a journey - enjoy it.

Also is it just me or is Docherty the most unrated player.  Hear very little about him in the media yet not many better in the league then this fellow in the role he plays. So relaxed when he is near the ball.

Maybe winning 4 in a row might impress those still wanting more.

JUst because some people, like me, point out that we are winning ugly and are playing out of form sides which is why we are winning, doesn't mean we are not enjoying the wins.

Its keeping a lid on it. If we lose the next 10 games i won't throw in the towel and call for the coaches head. I know we are in a rebuilding stage and 3 wins in a row, or not, we are a long way off where we want to be. As long as our kids keep performing, and some of our senior blokes stop going backwards then i couldn't give a stuff how many wins we get.

Reply #167
JUst because some people, like me, point out that we are winning ugly and are playing out of form sides which is why we are winning, doesn't mean we are not enjoying the wins.

Its keeping a lid on it. If we lose the next 10 games i won't throw in the towel and call for the coaches head. I know we are in a rebuilding stage and 3 wins in a row, or not, we are a long way off where we want to be. As long as our kids keep performing, and some of our senior blokes stop going backwards then i couldn't give a stuff how many wins we get.

I think it also highlights some peoples expectation or goals.
I want us to assemble the list so we win flags not just make finals.
If that means we trade murphy Gibbs Kruezer and cripps then so be it.
Btw I wouldn't suggest trading cripps

Reply #168

Generally agree, but those wins are pretty sweeeet................

I want more.

Re: Rd 7: Post Game .........: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #169
Docherty - went to a whole new level today. Looked like Bruce Doull back there - clean hands, kept running away from half back. Such a calming influence on the others.

Jeza, as I was watching the final stages of that last quarter, i was thinking back to some of the great half backers of past great Carlton eras to compare Docherty to.  I went back to mid 90s...Mackay, hmm......sort of , but not quite, seems silkier than Macca...similar to Secca ? in his composure, yes, but his delivery is better.

So, what about back another 15 years to the late 70s/early 80s ?  McConville ?  nope........., Hunter (when he was at half back)...yeah, closer to the mark, Geoff Southby......well....now I think we're getting pretty close to the mark...he was composure personified, a brilliant reader of the play, great runner & pinpoint kick up the field.....

But, then I saw how much time Doch seems to have at times, almost as if he's pressed a slo-mo button on the rest of the game....and there was only one other bloke I've seen who could look like that.....Doull.  The thought entered my head almost against my will, I mean surely that's a ridiculous (almost sacreligious) comparison.  He's got along way to go of course, but in those few moments of the game, that's the player who Docherty most reminds me of among those greats of the past.....

And it's been a long time since I've been as confident about someone in our back half !!!

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #170
@ Shawny

The Doc is a very level-headed, consistent, dedicated, non-egotistical jet. Those are the blokes that go unnoticed...... But win premierships ;D ;D

He's a less show ponyish, more accountable version of Grant Birchall.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #171
We have a Top 8 back half ;)

Reply #172

We have a sub-VFL standard forward half. :(

Our mids are somewhere in the middle as a group, with Cripps amongst the games elite.

Reply #173
We have a sub-VFL standard forward half. :(

Our mids are somewhere in the middle as a group, with Cripps amongst the games elite.

That's true....only Essendon have scored less ''points for" than us.
But one area at a time ;)

Reply #174
Very happy with the wins, great to see the players happy and rewarded for persistent effort.

Nothing like actually winning to help confidence in the game plan - and each other - feed on itself.

This is complete contrast to the drawn out horror that was the Mick mistake.

Very happy - much better to watch - looks like more fun to play.

We may struggle later in the season as the younger players tire, and we are still very light on for depth, so it would not take many injuries for our competitiveness to drop off, but still - very very happy.

Reply #175
Didn't think AE was as bad as some are sayin - have watched the replay twice and one thing I noticed was he was bent over at one stage obviously out of breath - I think he's possibly unfit?

I wonder as well if people get more fired up depending on what the commentators spend time Ripping apart the two or three fumbles made- and yesterday it was AE. Interestingly Gibbs got caught completely unaware with the ball and there was no ripping commentary about that - and that was a big stuff up.  I think AE will play next week and agree with others that he does need to do more chasing wise but think he was just not match fit yestersay

Reply #176

Also is it just me or is Docherty the most unrated player.  Hear very little about him in the media yet not many better in the league then this fellow in the role he plays. So relaxed when he is near the ball.

Just wait till he goes to another team then he will be called a gun...ala Betts.! ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Re: Rd 7: Post Game .........: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #177

But, then I saw how much time Doch seems to have at times, almost as if he's pressed a slo-mo button on the rest of the game....and there was only one other bloke I've seen who could look like that.....Doull.  The thought entered my head almost against my will, I mean surely that's a ridiculous (almost sacreligious) comparison.  He's got along way to go of course, but in those few moments of the game, that's the player who Docherty most reminds me of among those greats of the past.....

Wow big call Malo, he certainly has talent though.  ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #178
I haven't had a chance to see the second half yet. Happy with a win no matter how it happens. Just want to see an effort from all the players. Better than the footy we have been playing for the last couple of years.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #179

I have posted before, if we can come away with a solid back half after year 1 of a rebuild we're doing very well.

Docherty, Weitering, Plowman and Byrne. That's a 10 year backline, we need to add a lockdown small defender and another big and we have a group that will grow together.

With the forward line, they are mostly speculative - Curnow, McKay and Silvagni could be anything or nothing, add in Boekhurst as a HFF/Wing and we have building blocks. Again need another big and two small forwards, and this draft seems to be full of small forwards with pace who can pinch hit in the midfield.

Mids is where we need the most help, quality ball users with speed and grunt x 4, cause they're soooo easy to get   ::)