Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 427371 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #30
You'll be the butt of jokes if you keep that up LP.

Reply #31
You'll be the butt of jokes if you keep that up LP.

They can laugh, but I've got all the corn I need! ;)

The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
We were down to two rolls of dunny paper but Mrs DJC managed to track some down at a local servo.  That should tide us over until the panic subsides and supplies get back to normal.  Apart from toilet paper, the supermarket shelves were being cleared of canned pet food.  It’s good to see that panic-struck folk are thinking of their pets ... unless they’re buying it for themselves 🤔

Meanwhile, Scotty from marketing was on the box beating up COVID-19 again.  I guess he’s in a no win situation; if he presented a positive, non-alarmist message no-one would believe him  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
We were down to two rolls of dunny paper but Mrs DJC managed to track some down at a local servo.  That should tide us over until the panic subsides and supplies get back to normal.  Apart from toilet paper, the supermarket shelves were being cleared of canned pet food.  It’s good to see that panic-struck folk are thinking of their pets ... unless they’re buying it for themselves 🤔

Meanwhile, Scotty from marketing was on the box beating up COVID-19 again.  I guess he’s in a no win situation; if he presented a positive, non-alarmist message no-one would believe him  ::)

DJ...You could probably turn those two toilet rolls into a new Holden if you bargained hard..😜
Rumour that a restaurant in NSW is offering a free toilet roll with every meal over $50....some idiot got himself tasered by the plods in Tamworth after starting a fight over a pack of toilet rolls in a bigW..🤔.
Some local entrepreneurs in Thailand were re-ironing used surgical masks and selling them to their fellow locals.....thats the community spirit you need.😒

Reply #34
Mortality rate corona = 3.4%.  Influenza = 1.0%.  Spanish flu = 10 to 20%

Reply #35
COVID19 0.4-1.0%, figures unreliable because of many asymptomatic and unreported cases

Reply #36
COVID19 0.4-1.0%, figures unreliable because of many asymptomatic and unreported cases

There's an interesting WHO report on the interweb.

It seems that a significant number of COVID-19 fatalities have other illnesses including the latest flu virus.  It also seems to be more serious for males.

For some reason "Spill the Wine" springs to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0DMbCKnAg&list=RD3i0DMbCKnAg&start_radio=1&t=49

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
Interesting, there was some discussion on one of the science podcasts talking about the H1N1 and how that historical situation could be very similar to now, in that they had identified H1N1(Maybe H5N1 as well, apparently now there is some doubt it was a single strain acting) but the sample set is relatively low and they were looking for an Influenza specifically. So now they think they should go back and check for an additional factor like coronavirus. But apparently there were other circumstances which affected the epidemiology surrounding the Spanish Flu, not sure what they were.

btw., The real figures for Spanish Flu were probably also about 2%, the infection rates were only in the 20% range. Still that is many times normal Flu which is typically 0.1% SDR. There were higher rates in Polynesia and other previous isolated places, up to 20% SDR, primarily due to the low resistance in those communities and their recent exposure to Western civilisation. Similar to when the Spanish introduced measles to South America.

A great book to read, a bit heavy on the reading but still worthwhile, is Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38

A great book to read, a bit heavy on the reading but still worthwhile, is Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel.
My brother in law gave that to me years ago, couldnt get into it. Reading is not a favourite pass time of mine, maybe I should have another crack.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
His book "collapse" proposes better researched case studies to support the discussion he raises,  through I did enjoy his earlier tome,  GG+S.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #40

Read that a few years ago now - very enlightening. Could be time to dip into it again.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
His book "collapse" proposes better researched case studies to support the discussion he raises,  through I did enjoy his earlier tome,  GG+S.
I haven't read it yet but there are very positive reviews about Upheaval, probably it's not going to be a favorite if you are a Trump booster.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
I'm no Trump fan, but the Democrats are a total joke....

Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders - like seriously?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
... and no Warren.  Couldn't even win her home state

Reply #44
In the USA it all comes down to who holds the balance of power at state level and what the Gerrymander looks like. It's the most corrupt democratic system on the planet!

For example, look at the history.
There is a Republican run state which passed a law saying you have to show your drivers license to vote, then it closed all the DMV(Dept Motor Vehicles) branches in the majority African American electorates so the voters in those electorates without a drivers licence can't get a drivers licence. Of course it was challenged in court, so the state is forced to re-open the DMV branches by the courts, but they re-open them only the day before the poll and voters still can't get a drivers licence in time. Further, the gerrymander kicked in because they had redrawn the boundaries so that just a handful of electorates had a 99% majority African American led Democrat vote, and all the many other electorates had a safe 53% Republican vote. That was the George Jnr year, when he won by 700 votes, but in reality hundreds of thousands of votes had been invalidated by questionable practices. Now I'm not a booster or basher of either, but these are the same people that label Clinton corrupt!

FMD, how is there not a civil war!
The Force Awakens!