Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 19125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #120
Like so many of our games there are many lost opportunities - 4 points from fairly easy shots for goal (including a couple from experienced enough players), a stuffed kick, handball, fumble at inopportune moments.

I don't think we would have won had we converted those goals, but it starts building confidence within the team getting closer.

Each time a player takes their moment builds the team.  Each player would only have possession for a couple of minutes a game on average - need to make the most of every touch.

Re: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #121
I just had a look at some of the ladders from 1996 through to 2000 and the North defence while dotted with stars was pretty average in terms of points conceded....mid table (or below on some occasions.)
I think their effectiveness may have been more about "attacking" from defence than pure defending.

In their 1996 premiership year they were nearly 173 points better than the second highest scoring team (Geelong) and 200+ points ahead of all the others.
But in terms of points against they ranked 7th defensively in a 16 team comp(one more point and it would have been 8th).

In 1999 they were still top for "Points for" (albeit a little bit closer) but they were 10th best defensively...so it's a fair point Paul makes in saying they just went for it and said catch us if you can.

Thanks lods.

Can I also just add, in a continuation of my perfect, unblemished record of strict impartiality when discussing ex CFC coaches, that in 2011 we finished 5th overall, 5th in points for, 5th in points against, and 5th in %.