Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match (Read 19028 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match

Reply #30
Fly I love your positively at this time of the year (even though it’s usually gone by round 6) but sorry I just don’t see it.

Doc is a star and once he get into the year I 100% agree we will be better with him in there. Betts will provide something even if for a year or two only till hopefully we get Papely but Martin I’m afraid is the same jury out boat as Kennedy, Settlefield, Dow, obrien, DeKoning, Cunningham and even fisher, Williamson and Marchbank you could add it that list if we took the blue glasses off.
Too many on here pencil these blokes in like they are certainties. Far from it imo.

None habe proven more then the odd good game her and there. All have potential. So what. Every team has these sorts we have lots but until they do what Walsh did last year and do it week in week out they are not players I lock in yet and hence why I still think we won’t trouble many sides this year except the bottom 2-3.

Hope I’m wrong but history tells me I won’t be.

Shawny Old Son, I get your skepticism but reckon it may be influenced by two decades of failed promises... and fair enough.

As is the case with any young side brimming with 'potential' you can't, with any certainty, label just about any bloke with less than around 60 games as a cert.

However, this young crew of ours consists of many blokes who've shown they're made of the right stuff just haven't played enough games; haven't put on the kgs; haven't got the Ks into the legs; haven't got a 'room to move' game plan and / or haven't hardened their bodies.

I reckon we've got a lot to be optimistic about with our young crew. For me, the only serious question marks remain on Cuningham and Polson. This year we'll know about Kennedy, Dow and probably O'Brien.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
Shawny Old Son, I get your skepticism but reckon it may be influenced by two decades of failed promises... and fair enough.

As is the case with any young side brimming with 'potential' you can't, with any certainty, label just about any bloke with less than around 60 games as a cert.

However, this young crew of ours consists of many blokes who've shown they're made of the right stuff just haven't played enough games; haven't put on the kgs; haven't got the Ks into the legs; haven't got a 'room to move' game plan and / or haven't hardened their bodies.

I reckon we've got a lot to be optimistic about with our young crew. For me, the only serious question marks remain on Cuningham and Polson. This year we'll know about Kennedy, Dow and probably O'Brien.

I agree baggers you can’t label any player under 60 games a cert but many on here talk as though they are, hence my point.

I like the look of Cunningham but he just doesn’t or can’t do it for long enough and I’m really starting to wonder.
Kennedy moves like he would be a decent inside footballer but doesn’t get the pill enough to hurt anyone.
Setterfield is a good size but again doesn’t get enough of it.
Dow disposal is awful. Another one that looks a player when he break out of a pack but then butchers it way too often.
Marchbank, Williamson should make it but their body is a worry. 
Fisher is another who looks a player has smarts but just needs to get the ball more often. If he can get it 20-25 times instead of 10-15 he will make a difference to us.
Lots of ifs buts and maybes for me to be too optimistic this year.  

Reply #32
Generally agree Shawny. The sceptics among us are a little wary after so many false dawns and hang man scenarios, and would simply prefer to see some more runs on the board before we judge. Or maybe a lot more runs.

Reply #33
I reckon  Betts , Martin and Doc will have a positive  impact immediately it will be noticeable and  in 2nd half add a fit Harry and Charlie and we’ll reap results.

Reply #34
Anyone know the admission details for these games??  Members free, members pay?? How much etc.

Reply #35
I agree baggers you can’t label any player under 60 games a cert but many on here talk as though they are, hence my point.

I like the look of Cunningham but he just doesn’t or can’t do it for long enough and I’m really starting to wonder.
Kennedy moves like he would be a decent inside footballer but doesn’t get the pill enough to hurt anyone.
Dow disposal is awful. Another one that looks a player when he break out of a pack but then butchers it way too often.
Fisher is another who looks a player has smarts but just needs to get the ball more often. If he can get it 20-25 times instead of 10-15 he will make a difference to us.

Yep, you give spot on examples.

I guess I cut Setterfield some slack (and perhaps that's part of your point - we cut too many, too much slack too often) as last year was virtually his first year of footy and he showed some pretty special skills.

I think Dow has corrected those foot skill issues and delivered some beauts recently. He just needs to take the next step in terms of shouldering responsibility.

I, too, worry that Willo and Marchbank might be glassmen... can only cross fingers that they get their bodies right as they're both really good players and will be very important to any success we have.

Yep, Fisher needs to move into the 25+ possessions per game and do more than show promise. Totally agree.

Just about given up on Kennedy, rapidly confirming himself as a depth only bloke.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
To me it's about maturity and sharing the footy, they burn it because they are either side of the right mix, they either want to do too much and it puts them under pressure(survival), or they overshare it because nobody wants to be the man(They are avoiding making a decision).

The individual possession counts will get sorted out when they get the mix right between oversharing and personal glory.

btw., Anyone watching the girls yesterday saw a perfect example of this, both the good and bad, all in one passage of play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

5th season this year. His best is very good, even stellar, needs the body to hold up. Isn't that Jack the Russell's job?

Lack of pre seasons have hurt him to now. His window is now. We'll see.

Coming off an ACL his 2019 was serviceable. Plenty more to see here. Noting he was in Samo's crop - his time is coming this year or next.

Paddy wow? The multitude of coaches no doubt saw what we saw last year and it was often putrid. Can it be fixed? This year will tell us. Personally, I'd be telling Paddy he's playing 2s until his form is that good, the decision to pick him in the 1s is irresistible.

They "say" Willo is over his back issues (growth related). We'll see. I see Marchy (thus far) as just dead set unlucky. Hoping his luck will turn. Again, Russell was brought in to manage issues such as these....

His broken leg put him behind the 8 ball for the 2019 pre season. No more excuses this year and he appears much stronger in his upper body. Expect a break out year from the Prince of York!

For me (yes, the eternal optimist):

1.  Break out years for Fisher, Martin, SPS (no question).

2. Possibly break outs for Setters, Cuners and Kennedy too (though many rightly say Kennedy and SoJ are fighting for the one spot).

3. More improvement from Betts, Doc, the Guv, Weiters, Crippa and Walshy.

4. Big qurstion marks - Charlie and Big H.

Is that enough to lift us into the 8?

Why not?  8)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Love your loyalty, but the joke is comparing Hodge to Betts!

As a team and club General, Hodge on half of a good leg with two broken arms would still be an upgrade!

Did anyone suggest they play(ed) a similar role?

Indeed, Hodge's role was far more onerous (on the body) than Bett's role yet he played till 35.

Perhaps the joke's on you LP for trying to be a smarta@@e.

Don't underestimate Betts' achievements as a player.

300 games - #33 on the ALL TIME AFL/VFL goal kickers' list.

And will move into the top 25 by the time his career ends (passing the likes of Fev, Michael Roach, Neitz and A. Lynch).

I'll acknowledge i don't know all the names on the list but it appears he's 3rd on the list of small forwards after Matthews and Bartlett.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
While it would be nice to win Its not that important but just have to see a decent level of skill, system moving the ball forward and put kids playing like they care and not just looking like they are racking up minutes.

And no injuries please. Would be happy to see Cripps and doc only play one half and give the kids more game time.

Reply #40
Is anyone else having trouble with the feed on the AFL app ?
Keeps stopping, then crashing... 😢
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #41
AFL App working fine.

Great start from Eddie, SOS, Dow, and of course Walshy. Newnes looks like he's up to speed too.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42
AFL App working fine.

Great start from Eddie, SOS, Dow, and of course Walshy. Newnes looks like he's up to speed too.
Is this the same team that played freo?
Best I have seen Dow play. 
Skills and ball use so much better this week.

Reply #43
Is this the same team that played freo?
Best I have seen Dow play. 
Skills and ball use so much better this week.

I agree about Dow.
Somehow he looks confident. Hasn't got that panicked/unsure look.
JSOS has done some nice things.
Unfortunately the Lions got their mojo as the q played out.

Go Blues.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #44
I agree about Dow.
Somehow he looks confident. Hasn't got that panicked/unsure look.
JSOS has done some nice things.
Unfortunately the Lions got their mojo as the q played out.

Go Blues.

We got cocky.

Simmo then Guv both tried to be cute coming out of D50 and got screwed it up - cheap turnovers- goal to Brisvegas.
Finals, then 4 in a row!